Looking like an old queer

12 minutes ago, Lucky said:

It might help to develop some self esteem.

That’s where I’m at.  I feel good, I look good, life is great.  I go on vacation and see guys a bit older than me…they look sad and worn out. 

Just now, Gary said:

Start now with some good life habits, so you’ll avoid looking bad later.  For ex, hire a personal trainer.  Eat right.  If you’re worried about hair loss, acti now to prevent (further) lass.  Control your alcohol intake.   

I’ve actually done these things and look and feel great.   It’s actually what triggered this topic. 

I’m an old gay man but nothing sad about me. I don’t have sunken eyes and I keep my figure trim by eating right and getting exercise into my weekly routine. 

I also have a life outside my gay world and am associated with several non gay  causes that keep me busy contributing my talents and time. I keep in touch with my family members. 

I haven’t been in a gay bar in ages except for one visit to Campus in Montreal recently. I do go to restaurants which gays frequent but not exclusively. 

The world consists of all sorts of people and I try to expose myself to a wide variety to keep the proper perspective on what it means to be social. 

In your post, you have a negative perception of OTHER people. Who are you to judge whether someone else appears to be having fun or not? We all get older, and if you'd rather be in the company of someone being catty and negative all the damn time (guilty!) than someone pretending to enjoy themselves, take what you get - it's a far better option. Signed, almost always alone unless hiring. 

Thanks for the advice guys.  FYI - the reason it's been on my mind is over the last year I've been working very hard on self improvement.   I've also had some long time friends having serious medical issues.  It's my middle aged self going, let's do everything possible to stay healthy and enjoy the next 30 years.

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 3:04 PM, Thelatin said:

That’s where I’m at.  I feel good, I look good, life is great.  I go on vacation and see guys a bit older than me…they look sad and worn out. 

You WILL get old and will be faced with the challenge of finding satisfaction in life as an older man.  Those sad old men lurking in bars haven't yet figured out how to negotiate that challenge.

Edited by Rudynate
typo

Every now and again I go to a gay bar, usually when I am on vacation.  I enjoy people watching and checking out whatever attractive men are there..  I do not expect to pick someone up.  In fact, I am fine if no one speaks to me, but usually, someone does and I will have a fun, usually superficial conversation.  Certainly I find it more entertaining then heading back to the hotel after dinner.  So I am old. I am okay with my looks and my life and I find an occasional  night out at a bar checking out men I will never have, enjoyable.  I am actually someone you should aspire to be, an old man who has seen better days and also has seen better days than 90% of the younger, fitter gay guys at that bar will ever see.  When I leave the bar, almost always alone, I head back to a life I am happy to have.   

6 minutes ago, purplekow said:

So I am old. I am okay with my looks and my life and I find an occasional  night out at a bar checking out men I will never have, enjoyable.  I am actually someone you should aspire to be, an old man who has seen better days and also has seen better days than 90% of the younger, fitter gay guys at that bar will ever see.  When I leave the bar, almost always alone, I head back to a life I am happy to have.   

I couldn’t agree more. “Looking like an old queer” is as much in one’s head as anything else.

Everyone ages if they're lucky! The world consists of all sorts of folks and I try to stay open myself to a wide variety to keep the proper views on what it means to be social.  

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

In her extreme old age, my mother once said, "The worst thing about old age is not how you look or how you feel. The worst thing is losing all the old friends who could remember the life you once lived."

After one of my ~90yo grandmother's friends died, she took it really hard, was depressed for weeks.  Two of my aunts were a bit baffled because while they were friends, they weren't really all that close.  Then it dawned on them:  the friend was the last of grandma's age group.  Although she did have other friends, they were all at least a decade younger.  It must be hard to start talking about "remember when ..." only to realize that nobody does.

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

In her extreme old age, my mother once said, "The worst thing about old age is not how you look or how you feel. The worst thing is losing all the old friends who could remember the life you once lived."

And siblings 

My mother outlived her seven older siblings