Stylish or pretentious?

KeepItReal

You are correct @KeepItReal: pretentious. 

If a “young friend” of mine had ‘asked for a gift’, and he was goodlooking with a nice body, I’d buy him some Versace briefs (with the Greek key motif).

You’d have a pleasant time shopping for him, and it would be exciting for you when he checked them for size and fit once you were home.

My firm advice: always buy briefs that are low-rise and one size smaller than usual.

Edited by MscleLovr

I have always worn white New Balance tennis shoes, but I have noticed that recently many young pros at tournaments are wearing shoes with unusual colors and patterns. When I tried to buy new tennis shoes this week, my regular supplier told me that the only pair he could get in my size at the moment were royal blue and silver. I wonder what response I will receive when I show up on the court in them.

2 hours ago, maninsoma said:

I'm not sure why people want to pay good money just to advertise someone's brand -- well, I actually do know why:  It's to let everyone know that they (allegedly) have enough money that they can afford brand X.  If that's what you mean by pretentious, then that's my vote.

Exactly - I will not buy branded clothing no matter how "stylish" or "prestigious."   Actually, I take that back.  I don't mind buying branded stuff from places like Target because the only messages it conveys are that I'm thrifty and I that  I  don't care (too much) about what others think.

Wow, this reminded me of my school days when the Izod polo shirts with their signature alligator were so popular (collars up, of course). I remember saying I'd never wear one of them (and I didn't). Don't know if I knew the word pretentious back then, but I was definitely not into the preppy look.

(Maybe this belonged in the What are you old enough to remember thread? Sorry.)

4 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

As my personal glam squad - I need your thoughts.  😁

One of my young friends asked for Louis Vuitton socks as a gift. I find them rather pretentious. Am I wrong in this - are they stylish in your book?  

I don’t like them, but as the gift giver, is it about you?  I don’t know the circumstances behind your friend asking for Louis Vuitton socks as a gift, but if you offered to buy him a gift and you’re willing to spend whatever they cost, isn’t what the recipient wants more important than your idea of style or pretense? 

5 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

NOTHING with a designer label is actually "stylish".

I've worked in and around the Fashion Industry and I work in Design.

Nobody with any style, and class advertises how much they spent on socks by purchasing them emblazoned with a giant designer logo. 

take a look at hip hop videos....

9 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

As my personal glam squad - I need your thoughts.  😁

One of my young friends asked for Louis Vuitton socks as a gift. I find them rather pretentious. Am I wrong in this - are they stylish in your book?  

1064734779_Screenshot_20220811-090753_SamsungInternet.jpg.771f286e2200cf7bd9ffbce0a546d459.jpg

Thinking about the new exhibit at the Met, these socks are truly classical, and the real representatives of Hellenic aesthetic.

Edited by NJF

6 hours ago, RJD said:

I don’t like them, but as the gift giver, is it about you?  I don’t know the circumstances behind your friend asking for Louis Vuitton socks as a gift, but if you offered to buy him a gift and you’re willing to spend whatever they cost, isn’t what the recipient wants more important than your idea of style or pretense? 

3 hours ago, LookingAround said:

If he asked for them who appointed you to be the fashion police?

If it is me being asked, it is my money, so yes, I don't have to indulge his bad taste. Besides, if I did buy them, I'd be the one looking at them!