What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

My dot matrix printer...

Daisy Wheel printers so you get typewriter quality! My parents bought me one without realizing I couldn't do graphics with it. And it was loud and slow and didn't really work well with my old Atari 800XL!

My printer in college was an Apple Imagewriter II which could do color if you put in the multicolor ribbon cartridge.

I wish they still had dot-matrix printers that handled continuous-form paper (with the little holes on the side on the perforated strip you could remove). For reading computer programs, that was the best.

Good old tractor feed, believe it or not I think Okidata still makes them for multi-copy forms/reciepts. As for 132 column, I remember when Epson came out with a beast of a tractor feed dot matrix that was that wide and could crank out tons of pages per minute. Was very popular with financial customers with large reports. I deployed many LAN attached versions in my early career.

34750.jpg

Daisy Wheel printers so you get typewriter quality! My parents bought me one without realizing I couldn't do graphics with it. And it was loud and slow and didn't really work well with my old Atari 800XL!

My printer in college was an Apple Imagewriter II which could do color if you put in the multicolor ribbon cartridge.

I remember researching the difference between inkjet and bubble jet printers 30 years ago. Which wasnt easy because there wasnt a google search engine. I had to buy a PC magazine at a newstand... ??‍♂️

Wordstar is truly from another era. Pre-DOS even.

True, we were running CP/M on Intertec Superbrains. Getting the hard drive that connected to all six machines in the office was a huge step up from 5" floppy disks. This was 1981 or so.

width=322pxhttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Intertec_Superbrain.jpg[/img]

My grandmother always called it a davenport

My grandparents gave us their davenport for our basement family room after they bought new furniture.

I also remember:

returning glass Coca-Cola bottles for a 5 cent refund (I think they came in an 8 pack)

hitting the return bar on our manual typewriter

our first TV remote control had a cord that attached it to the TV

Incredible Edibles https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1966-mattel-incredible-edibles-set-20678605

sunburns every summer (we had suntan lotion, but no sunscreen)

$1.75 bought our weekly lunch ticket at school (it was cardboard & punched with a hole punch each day we used it)

My grandparents gave us their davenport for our basement family room after they bought new furniture.

I also remember:

returning glass Coca-Cola bottles for a 5 cent refund (I think they came in an 8 pack)

Incredible Edibles https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1966-mattel-incredible-edibles-set-20678605

$1.75 bought our weekly lunch ticket at school (it was cardboard & punched with a hole punch each day we used it)

I remember our first TV "remote" attached by a wire. You could turn the TV on/off & switch channels (all four of them, pre-cable). But because the wire was kinda short, you had to sit on the floor in front of the TV to use the remote. Still, we thought it was super-cool, LOL.

I also remember:

I remember having to buy a manual typewriter to take to college, after my high school guidance counselor explained to me that my professors probably would not take kindly to me turning in handwritten term papers. I still have never learned how to type.

I remember the ice man delivering blocks of ice for our icebox. My father insisted that we didn't need an electric refrigerator.

We had an icebox and wood stove at our cottage north of Montreal in the Laurentian mountains until 1954, when electricity came to the county. And the iceman was the local farmer who sawed the ice in the winter into large blocks and stored in his barn all summer under a cover of sawdust to keep it from melting.

We were the last generation of kids that went from the city with all the latest appliances to a country home for 3 months in the summer that had oil lamps, no electricity, but we did have a battery radio, a big floor model that looked like the electric one we had in the city. We did have running water (cold) supplied from a tank that was fed by a pump powered by a small gas powered motor.

We thought the experience was great.