What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

I remember ordering from mail order catalogs. I'd be so happy when LL Bean sent their really thick catalog with almost everything they sold. I also loved getting the International Male catalog, even though I never ordered anything from them.

I know, I'm not really going back that many years, but ordering from catalogs, as opposed to online like we all do now, feels like it was ages ago.

Do you remember the Sears catalog?

at age 5, a couple months after MLK's death, I was watching TV and news of RFK's death came on.......I said, "oh, is that show on again?"

I remember Bill Murray on Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live, complaining about the quality of their news coverage when Pope Paul died in 1978, John Paul I was named pope; he died within a few months, and John Paul II became Pope. "This story - the pope died - this happened months ago! C'mon people!"

My mother had a turntable that played 33 1/3 rpm... She only had a few of those records.

Everybody had a turntable with that speed. Record albums made for that speed were called "long-play" records.

Surely you knew people who had turntables that played 78 RPM! My dad had several of those records. (And I know... don't call you Shirley!)

I remember my father teaching a friend's wife how to drive on their new brown 1949 Nash.

Women drivers?!?!?! EGAD!!!

There was all this talk about "blue laws" and what they did and didn't allow to be sold on Sunday.

If I ain't mistaken, Paramus in Bergen County in northern NJ still has that, unless it changed in the past decade or so.

Edited by samhexum

"I’ve heard stories about swimming naked at the YMCA. Any first hand experiences?"

Yup and in college. It was all male. But it was before I was self aware....

The notion of not being "self-aware" is so incredibly foreign to me. When I was a teen-ager and I caught so much as a glimpse of a handsome dude, not only was it impossible for myself not to be aware, but it was also obvious to anyone in a 500 m radius.

http://cdn77-pic.xvideos-cdn.com/videos/thumbslll/10/51/8b/10518bfdd05958a517986f9f4118e584/10518bfdd05958a517986f9f4118e584.25.jpg

"I’ve heard stories about swimming naked at the YMCA. Any first hand experiences?"

The notion of not being "self-aware" is so incredibly foreign to me. When I was a teen-ager and I caught so much as a glimpse of a handsome dude, not only was it impossible for myself not to be aware, but it was also obvious to anyone in a 500 m radius.

http://cdn77-pic.xvideos-cdn.com/videos/thumbslll/10/51/8b/10518bfdd05958a517986f9f4118e584/10518bfdd05958a517986f9f4118e584.25.jpg

I spent 5 summers "learning to swim" at the YMCA.

Before gay awareness the belief was that unnecessarily wearing clothes around other men indicated you might be gay or pansy.

Surely you knew people who had turntables that played 78 RPM! My dad had several of those records. (And I know... don't call you Shirley!)

Women drivers?!?!?! EGAD!!!

If I ain't mistaken, Paramus County in northern NJ still has that, unless it changed in the past decade or so.

"Don't call me Shirley.". ????

Most pe

Most people had turntables that played at 78 or 45 or 33.33 or 16, although I have never seen a record meant to be played @ 16RPM.

The children's record players that I remember from early childhood played at 78 and 45.

It is worth noting that turntables are available again. There are people who just think that the sound quality from an analog recording cannot be beat, so manufacturers are producing analog equipment again. Have no idea what speeds these turntables play at, but probably at least 33.33

Two other things I miss

Going to NYC and eating at the Horn and Hardart Automat. (As well as Howard Johnson’s)

Also miss the days when credit cards were small metal plates and when you bought something they would take an imprint of the card

Didn't they do an imprint of the plastic ones also before electronic readers came along? The plastic ones wore down sooner which led to the expression "Don't wear out your credit card".

We had Kresge's, Newberry's and Grant's. I used to do chores and errands for my mother and a couple of the neighbors for pocket money. I would go downtown to the lunch counter at Newberry's and get a ginger ale and an order of french fries. I think it cost 49 cents.

I didn't know Newberry's was a chain. There was one in my grandmas city 15 miles from my hometown and that is the only one I ever saw.

My hometown had a Grant's and when they folded Kmart took over their building and then Kreesge closed about five years later. Was stupid for Kmart to have two stores in such a small city and I think Kresgee just let their lease run out before closing that store.

I remember Kresgee having really cheap food and loed their fries. They used to have really cheap hot fudge sundaes as well.