What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

45 records. I didn't think they were that old but pre-covid some people in my building would hang out sometimes on Friday at the bar next door.

A few years ago we were there and they were playing the sone from the late 70's baker street and a neighbor a year older than me and I were talking about it and I said I had it on a 45. A neighbor who was sitting with us who was about 25ish asked what a 45 was LOL. I thought he was joking but he was serious and he didn't know that a single song in vinyl was called a 45 and was looking it up on his phone LOL. We were telling him about having either an adapter that you put a stack of 45s on or the little disk you put in the middle.

I joked and said I felt old (I was probably 51 then) I feel old and he replied "dude that is because you are old" (jokingly). His wife who is the same age was there and thought he was just messing with us about now knowing what a 45 was but he seriously didnt.

My mother had a turntable that played 33 1/3 rpm... She only had a few of those records.

Who remembers Woolworth ?. Sitting at the lunch counter and having a malted or ice cream ?. The place had wooden floors that Creaked and the store smelled like mothballs. And outside the store they had the pony rides for I believe 10 cents. What a bunch of old Queens we have become.

I ate many lunches at the Woolworth's on Market St in Philadelphia when I worked downtown.

No gas on Sundays

Not only gas--very few stores of any kind were open on Sundays. In Philadelphia, bars were closed on Sundays when I first started going to them there in the mid-1960s. The only alcohol that could be served on Sunday was in private clubs or restaurants with a liquor license.

Going to the fifth game of the 1948 World Series at Cleveland Stadium. Seeing Bob Feller (Cleveland Indians) pitch against Warren Spahn (Boston Braves). I sat behind home plate with my mother while Dad was out in left field! :) (and BTW it was the largest crowd ever to see a baseball game - over 86,000 - they allowed fans behind the fence in the outfield.)

Edited by Oliver

it was a like a no peeing section in a pool...

smoking and non-smoking on airplanes was a fairly recent innovation - late 70s. My landlord was a snobbish older gay man who quit smoking because he felt like a second-class citizen sitting in the smoking section - whatever works. I clearly remember air travel in the 60s and early 70s before they had separated smokers and non-smokers

Not only gas--very few stores of any kind were open on Sundays. In Philadelphia, bars were closed on Sundays when I first started going to them there in the mid-1960s. The only alcohol that could be served on Sunday was in private clubs or restaurants with a liquor license.

There was all this talk about "blue laws" and what they did and didn't allow to be sold on Sunday.

Going to the fifth game of the 1948 World Series at Cleveland Stadium. Seeing Bob Feller (Cleveland Indians) pitch against Warren Spahn (Boston Braves). I sat behind home plate with my mother while Dad was out in left field! :) (and BTW it was the largest crowd ever to see a baseball game - over 86,000 - they allowed fans behind the fence in the outfield.)

In those times, it was common for men to wear hats, shirts, ties, and jackets and women wear dresses and hats to baseball stadiums:

Boston-Braves-Alvin-Dark-doubles-against-the-left-field-wall-during-the-6th-inning-while-Cleveland-Indians-outfielder-Dale-Mitchell-watches-the-ball-during-the-1948-World-Series.jpgHow things have changed:fans-hang-out-before-entering-a-baseball-game-at-nationals-park-in-BXNH22.jpg

25¢ comics. Payphones. Using the yellow pages to find business info.

6 million dollar man, bionic woman, wonder woman, Charlie's Angels and Incredible Hulk. MTV actually playing music. Break dancing and parachute pants. Tom Cruise being cool.

Guyana tragedy. Reagan getting shot. Pope getting shot. Challenger accident. Berlin Wall coming down.

Well, we sure do have a bunch of older folks on this forum... I'll also confess to be old enough to see live on TV Neil Armstrong take man's first steps on the moon...

Well, we sure do have a bunch of older folks on this forum... I'll also confess to be old enough to see live on TV Neil Armstrong take man's first steps on the moon...

Hell, I saw John Glenn's landing after he became first American to orbit the Earth in 1962; I watched live on TV in a gay bar while I was cruising. I missed the moon walk, because I was cruising in the Meat Rack on Fire Island that night. (Do I detect a pattern here?)

And “E ticket” didn’t mean electronic ticket ?

Only us old farts know what 'E-ticket" means from the old days. I remember when we did something thrilling in high school, we'd say "Boy, that sure was an E-ticket!"