What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

Staying with Mom during the Portland ice storm, we had a conversation over dinner last night. She asked me about what my earliest memories were, my reply was, a road trip in the Chevy Nomad wagon, pulling Dad's Porsche racer on a trailer down the highway, heading to a race weekend. She gaped, and said that cant be true- Dad sold the Porsche in 1966, just before we moved back to Montana. So that memory had to be the summer of 1965, when I was less than two years old. Is that normal?

No, nobody was fat. Sure, guys got guts as they aged, but really huge people, commonplace now, were very rare. In his 50's, my father had a completely flat stomach.

The scary thing now is young children who are horribly obese. I was seeing young children with nonalcoholic fatty liver and diabetes. Very sad what parents are doing to their children these days.

Staying with Mom during the Portland ice storm, we had a conversation over dinner last night. She asked me about what my earliest memories were, my reply was, a road trip in the Chevy Nomad wagon, pulling Dad's Porsche racer on a trailer down the highway, heading to a race weekend. She gaped, and said that cant be true- Dad sold the Porsche in 1966, just before we moved back to Montana. So that memory had to be the summer of 1965, when I was less than two years old. Is that normal?

I had a friend who said he remembered the Kennedy assassination, which would have been when he was 2 years old. He didn't remember much, just a lot of the adults being sad. I wasn't sure if I believed him.

I have pretty clear memories of events that happened when I was 3 yo, but not before that.

First real memories: shaking LBJs hand (he was tall and had really had big ears - I had just turned 4, short glimpses of MLKs funeral - somehow the cart they carried his casket on stuck with me, and the downtown Christmas decorations that went across the street during the holidays. Oh, the late 1960s....

Who remembers Gimbel's,Gertz, Korvetts, Montgomery Ward. John bargain stores. Maybe these were only stores in NY ?‍♂️

Philadelphia had 4 department stores before 1985. Starting from the most elite: John Wanamaker, Strawbridge & Clothier, Gimbels and Lit Brothers. There was also a preppy men’s store called Jacob Reed’s Sons, with the main store on Chestnut St. and branches in Plymouth Meeting and somewhere on the Main Line.

I remember EJ Korvette’s. Someone told me the name meant eight Jewish Korean War veterans.

E.J. Korvette (initially a retailer of leather goods) was founded in 1948, two years before the Korean War began.

I remember going to Kovette's in "Bawlamer" about 50 years ago. I was not impressed with its merchandise.

Edited by JayCeeKy

Another thing I remember is banks with ornate interiors - some looked almost like churches. My favorite was Rochester Savings Bank -all marble, polished granite, brass, mosaic and stained glass. When I was 13 or 14, I opened a savings account there just to have a reason to go in there regularly.

We had an icebox and wood stove at our cottage north of Montreal in the Laurentian mountains until 1954, when electricity came to the county. And the iceman was the local farmer who sawed the ice in the winter into large blocks and stored in his barn all summer under a cover of sawdust to keep it from melting.

We were the last generation of kids that went from the city with all the latest appliances to a country home for 3 months in the summer that had oil lamps, no electricity, but we did have a battery radio, a big floor model that looked like the electric one we had in the city. We did have running water (cold) supplied from a tank that was fed by a pump powered by a small gas powered motor.

We thought the experience was great.

I used to visit my grandmother in the summer when I was a kid. She lived in an old house on the Hudson River near West Point, that had no electricity nor indoor plumbing except a hand pump in the kitchen sink. I don't remember what she did for heat, because I never went there in the winter. The only thing about being there that wasn't fun was having to use the outhouse at night with no light to see what was crawling around out there.

I have one memory that my mother insists had to be when I was 18 mos. old, because the outfit I was wearing in the memory was from that age.

Philadelphia had 4 department stores before 1985. Starting from the most elite: John Wanamaker, Strawbridge & Clothier, Gimbels and Lit Brothers. There was also a preppy men’s store called Jacob Reed’s Sons, with the main store on Chestnut St. and branches in Plymouth Meeting and somewhere on the Main Line.

Lit's was gone by about 1970. However, Jacob Reed's lasted a long time; I am still wearing clothes I bought there.

I remember when everyone's mother had their own signature Jell-O mold, and you could expect at least one of them, maybe more, at any potluck or picnic family gathering.

My mother's godawful version had a lemon Jell-O base and featured pineapple and carrot shavings. It had nowhere near the appeal of Aunt Sally's, which had a milky green (lime Jell-O) base, pineapples, marshmallows and Maraschino cherries.

Our Best Jell-O Mold Recipes | Taste of Home

I remember when everyone's mother had their own signature Jell-O mold, and you could expect at least one of them, maybe more, at any potluck or picnic family gathering.

My mother's godawful version had a lemon Jell-O base and featured pineapple and carrot shavings. It had nowhere near the appeal of Aunt Sally's, which had a milky green (lime Jell-O) base, pineapples, marshmallows and Maraschino cherries.

Who knows/remembers why out moms used canned pineapple vs. fresh ?

Who knows/remembers why out moms used canned pineapple vs. fresh ?

I used to visit my grandmother in the summer when I was a kid. She lived in an old house on the Hudson River near West Point, that had no electricity nor indoor plumbing except a hand pump in the kitchen sink. I don't remember what she did for heat, because I never went there in the winter. The only thing about being there that wasn't fun was having to use the outhouse at night with no light to see what was crawling around out there.

Western New York, when I was a kid, was pretty rural and fairly old-fashioned. Even in the late 50s or early 60s, one encountered outhouses from time to time.

Western New York, when I was a kid, was pretty rural and fairly old-fashioned. Even in the late 50s or early 60s, one encountered outhouses from time to time.