What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

The Ford Country Squire was one sweet-looking ride for pretty much of its entire run.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs-EB4nRP4UFEMk7_eQsBPrpnsUal1L3Puug&usqp=CAU

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSy2wGA5xOamyqVctzJxHQAz5NtU3ExcD6gvQ&usqp=CAU

I think the 49/ “woody” pictured above had real wood whereas the 91version below was phoney wood. Collectors will pay hundreds of thousands for the “real McCoy” but not much for the ersatz version.

Edited by Luv2play

Hell, I saw John Glenn's landing after he became first American to orbit the Earth in 1962; I watched live on TV in a gay bar while I was cruising. I missed the moon walk, because I was cruising in the Meat Rack on Fire Island that night. (Do I detect a pattern here?)

I remember the Soviets launching Sputnik in 1957 (I think that was the date). It was on the news on our black and white TV). The Americans went crazy.

I don't think this has been mentioned. I remember putting my feet in an x-Ray machine at the shoe store in Montreal where I grew up. There were two periscopes on top of this machine, which was the size of cigarette machine and you stood up on a platform and inserted your feet with the new shoes to see if they fit. I could look in one periscope on the top of the machine and the salesman or my mother could look in the other periscope. Really neat. We didn’t think about over exposure of x-rays in those days and my feet are still cancer free. Lol.

Captain Kangaroo

Dark Shadows on TV when I got home from school

Totie Fields

a transistor radio made for mounting on my bike's handlebars

penny loafers (with pennies inserted of course)

Burger Chef, the first fast food restaurant to open in our town

fishing with cane poles

Mom's cabinet stereo in the living room

Montgomery Ward

It was the go-to store for our family. It was nearby at Grand River and Greenfield. I thought the store was huge. Basement, 1st floor, Mezzanine, 3rd floor, and annex. Except for groceries, and lumber, could buy just about everything there, including grave headstones.

Every year before school started, Mom would take me there, a new pair of shoes, a shirt, maybe two, and pair of slacks, maybe two, and the rest of my school clothes were my older brother's hand me downs Mom would alter to fit on her sewing machine.

Thanks for the memory.

Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, I Spy, Moon Landing, Release of Penny Lane, Hey Jude, Let it Be, Laugh In, Red Skelton, Glen Campbell

4 to5 hurricanes a year, sand dune beaches with tons of sand crabs, gulf houses, not tacky condominiums

Republican ridicule of Democratic yahoo demagogues like George Wallace and Lester Maddox

A white upper middle class socially liberal, moderate GOP

Big ass station wagons as the car of choice for affluent white housewives

Edited to add mass consumption of candy cigarettes, Koogle peanut butter, and Wacky Packages

Edited by Leyte2019

I remember ordering from mail order catalogs. I'd be so happy when LL Bean sent their really thick catalog with almost everything they sold. I also loved getting the International Male catalog, even though I never ordered anything from them.

I know, I'm not really going back that many years, but ordering from catalogs, as opposed to online like we all do now, feels like it was ages ago.

In my Catholic grade school: crawling underneath our desks as part of a nuclear fallout drill. (Yes, really. I couldn't make this up if I wanted to.)

All the schools in my hometown had those drills, whether public or pvt. It was the times.