What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

"Don't call me Shirley.". ????

It's a joke from the movie Airplane.

3kf0.gif

The fact that someone (here) didn't automatically get that reference makes me feel like that 117 year old Nun everyone talked about last week. Wow.

Yeah, but @WilliamM, who is the one who didn't get, didn't not get it because he's too young to have seen it. He just doesn't enjoy highbrow humor, apparently. ;)

Edited by samhexum

Didn't they do an imprint of the plastic ones also before electronic readers came along? The plastic ones wore down sooner which led to the expression "Don't wear out your credit card".

I remember them imprinting plastic cards also. And I remember in the 80s when I got my first card if you made a large purchase at some stores they had this little book that had lost and stolen credit cards in numberic order and they would look up the number to make sure it wasn't in there. Never understood the purpose of those books since they could never be current

Surely you knew people who had turntables that played 78 RPM! My dad had several of those records. (And I know... don't call you Shirley!)

Women drivers?!?!?! EGAD!!!

If I ain't mistaken, Paramus County in northern NJ still has that, unless it changed in the past decade or so.

Paramus is a town in Bergen County. I should ask one of my high school classmates, who is now head of the city council there, if they still have blue laws, but I doubt it.

Paramus is a town in Bergen County. I should ask one of my high school classmates, who is now head of the city council there, if they still have blue laws, but I doubt it.

Doi! I can't believe I wrote Paramus County. I must've still been waking up. :oops:o_O?

What the Heck Are Bergen County’s Blue Laws? Even Alex Trebek Couldn’t Answer This

The Jeopardy host (and contestants) were totally confused about the laws on Tuesday’s show.

10/14/19-- It’s one of the last locations in the country to have such laws, but even Bergen County residents don’t totally understand them, let alone Jersey folk who live elsewhere. Heck, even Alex Trebek was confused when a Jeopardy answer on Bergen County’s blue laws came up on Tuesday. The host noted that the blue laws ban retailers from selling anything on Sundays which is, of course, not true.

How exactly does the blue law work? If you’re a retailer, you can’t sell things like clothes or shoes or what may be deemed non-essential on a Sunday. You can buy food, medicine and even beer and wine, but not hard liquor (in most cases). Confused yet?

As someone who grew up in Bergen County, here’s what I do know. When I was bartending in Fair Lawn at a bowling alley and a dad asked me for a Budweiser on a Sunday before noon, I had to turn him down. At the 24-hour Walmart in Teterboro, the clothing section of the store is roped off, leaving just the supermarket section open to customers. If you head to Rite Aid in Hasbrouck Heights to buy a corkscrew on a Sunday, you’ll be turned away. Need to shop for birthday gifts, a winter jacket or shoes? You’ll need to head to Garden State Plaza in Paramus on Saturday along with everyone and their mother to get your shopping list taken care of while you can.

The gigantic pro of the blue laws, as far as I’m concerned, is being able to fly down Route 17 on a Sunday without a drop of congestion. Plus, if you work in retail, it’s a guaranteed day off.

According to Encyclopaedia Britannica, the name “blue law” may have come from the list of strict Sabbath day rules printed on blue paper in Samuel A. Peter’s General History of Connecticut. Or it could be that in the 18th century, the word “blue” meant “rigidly moral.”

If you couldn’t tell, Puritans had everything to do with the banning of secular pleasantries such as buying alcohol and shopping. That’s probably why so many non-religious and non-Christian people in NJ feel inconvenienced by the laws rather than grateful for them.

It’s no surprise that there have been a number of attempts to lift them; it’s hard to fit all your mall-ratting into one Saturday, especially if you’re already exhausted from looking for a parking spot–which is no small feat at the Garden State Plaza. Granted the laws also have supporters who see the regulations as a protest of over-commercialization (which definitely has some merit if you live in Hackensack and it takes you forever to get to Paramus Park, another mall in Paramus, on any day but Sunday).

No matter how you feel about the blue laws, the Garden State is known nationally for resilience, perhaps above all else (that’s what your Jersey Strong bumper sticker is all about!). So if you need to shop on a Sunday, you’ll make the trip to Willowbrook Mall in Wayne and do what you have to do. After all, if you can endure Bergen’s cost of living, you can surely wait another week to do your shopping.

3kf0.gif

My best friend's mother worked for S&H stamps, and the house was full of things she got at work, like TV tray tables for eating dinner while watching Jack Benny and Ed Sullivan.

I just rewired 2 large table lamps my mother got with S & H green stamps. They’re about to get their 4th or 5th set of lamp shades. Lol.

word perfect and ask jeeves

I’ve a friend who’s a retired history professor who still uses WordPerfect to write his magnum opus. He does a lot of writing and editing in our local Starbucks. The younger folk can’t figure out what he’s up to. He seemed disinterested when I pointed out to him that most editors and publishers have moved on to more current word processing programs.

Who remembers Gimbel's,Gertz, Korvetts, Montgomery Ward. John bargain stores. Maybe these were only stores in NY ?‍♂️

Korvettes was in Michigan too. Great music section.

I always heard that EJ Korvette (the full name of the store) stood for Eight Jewish Korean Veterans, but apparently that was an urban myth..

E. J. Korvette, also known as Korvettes, was an American chain of discount department stores, founded in 1948 in New York City. It was one of the first department stores to challenge the suggested retail price provisions of anti-discounting statutes. Founded by World War II veteran Eugene Ferkauf and his friend, Joe Zwillenberg, E. J. Korvette did much to define the idea of a discount department store. It displaced earlier five and dime retailers and preceded later discount stores, like Walmart, and warehouse clubs such as Costco.

According to Korvette's founder, Eugene Ferkauf, who died on June 5, 2012, the name "E. J. Korvette" was coined as a combination of the initials of its founders (Eugene and Joe) and a re-spelling of the naval term corvette, a nimble sailing warship and later World War II sub-destroyer. The company's founding in 1948 (two years before the Korean War) disproves the urban legend that the name was an acronym for "Eight (or Eleven) Jewish Korean War Veterans". Founders Ferkauf and Zwillenberg, however, were Jewish.

The company failed to properly manage its business success, which led to decline and its 1980 bankruptcy and closure.

I’ve a friend who’s a retired history professor who still uses WordPerfect to write his magnum opus. He does a lot of writing and editing in our local Starbucks. The younger folk can’t figure out what he’s up to. He seemed disinterested when I pointed out to him that most editors and publishers have moved on to more current word processing programs.

Even wordperfect allows you to save your work as a .doc file. Of course, .doc files have been rendered obsolete by the .docx format.

I think they may still have them in the rural south. When I used to visit my mother in Starkville MS, most of the retail was closed on Sunday.