What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

I remember going to the birthday party of a friend who was 3 months older than me, and thinking to myself that he was 3 already, and I was still only 2.

I have a couple of memories that I can place had to be around that age, and I also THINK I remember putting my face in my first birthday cake. But that could be from the story and picture, but I feel like I remember the view from my chair(which wasn't a high chair because when I was 1 year old I was bigger than a lot of 3-year olds.

I remember going to the birthday party of a friend who was 3 months older than me, and thinking to myself that he was 3 already, and I was still only 2.

I have a couple of memories that I can place had to be around that age, and I also THINK I remember putting my face in my first birthday cake. But that could be from the story and picture, but I feel like I remember the view from my chair(which wasn't a high chair because when I was 1 year old I was bigger than a lot of 3-year olds.

Lit's was gone by about 1970. However, Jacob Reed's lasted a long time; I am still wearing clothes I bought there.

Actually, Lit’s closed in 1977, which was the same year Gimbel’s opened their new store in The Gallery Mall. The Lit’s building at 8th & Market is incredible and was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Lit's was gone by about 1970. However, Jacob Reed's lasted a long time; I am still wearing clothes I bought there.

Actually, Lit’s closed in 1977, which was the same year Gimbel’s opened their new store in The Gallery Mall. The Lit’s building at 8th & Market is incredible and was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Is the Jefferson Hospital still on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia? My great uncle, who was a child of 5, was operated on there in 1893 by America’s leading brain surgeon but to no avail. He died two days after the operation. The operation cost $300.

Is the Jefferson Hospital still on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia? My great uncle, who was a child of 5, was operated on there in 1893 by America’s leading brain surgeon but to no avail. He died two days after the operation. The operation cost $300.

I remember the moon landing and MLK shooting. I also remember when Judy garland died (which speaks volumes). It wasn’t actually

Judy I remember but a television announcer who said that Dorothy died. I was my dad’s television remote before the corded remote became an option. I remember looking at my older brother’s Playboys that he tried to hide. Little Annie Fannie anyone? One issue had a picture of a full frontal nude Harry Reems of Deep Throat fame. It was the first non family man I saw naked. I realized then that the world might be a little different than I had previously imagined. Mark Spitz confirmed that feeling-or it might have been vice versa. Imagine what happened when I saw my first After Dark and PlayGirl magazines. And the bicentennial seemed to consume 1976 with Betty Ford doing the last bicentennial minute. There was literally a line around a city block to see Barbra’s A Star is Born. Saturday night was All in the Family, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore and Carol Burnett. There must have been another show but I don’t remember it. Saturday was the only day we watched television—cartoons in the morning, and then little league and the library took up the day. Diary Queen was in between the field and the library— heaven on earth. Although the kids in my family only got to watch TV on Saturday it seemed like my parents always watched it. In high school, swim team practice started in the nude because we began so God awful early, way before the sun came up, and no one was there to unlock the laundry room. Laps were naked but the assistant coach retrieved the bundle of micro suits that we wore for the rest of practice. They seemed to accentuate the big dicks that some lucky boys sported. Coach threw the suits at us in the water because we had to put them on before the girl’s joined us in the pool. They had shorter practice and seemed to use only a tiny part of the pool which may be why I remember title ix emerging. I took a royal manuel typewriter to college. I constantly used the card catalog so I could type my papers. My junior year I got an IBM selectric typewriter with a black ribbon AND a correction ribbon. I was convinced that technology could go no further. I took a computer programming class, but it was keypunch card, garbage in/garbage out process and you had to learn two numerical languages. I was unimpressed and predicted computers would never catch on. I could have bought Apple early on. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Funny that the topic was what was I old enough to remember and I took myself through college. Some people, they just cant follow directions.

I remember the moon landing and MLK shooting. I also remember when Judy garland died (which speaks volumes). It wasn’t actually

Judy I remember but a television announcer who said that Dorothy died. I was my dad’s television remote before the corded remote became an option. I remember looking at my older brother’s Playboys that he tried to hide. Little Annie Fannie anyone? One issue had a picture of a full frontal nude Harry Reems of Deep Throat fame. It was the first non family man I saw naked. I realized then that the world might be a little different than I had previously imagined. Mark Spitz confirmed that feeling-or it might have been vice versa. Imagine what happened when I saw my first After Dark and PlayGirl magazines. And the bicentennial seemed to consume 1976 with Betty Ford doing the last bicentennial minute. There was literally a line around a city block to see Barbra’s A Star is Born. Saturday night was All in the Family, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore and Carol Burnett. There must have been another show but I don’t remember it. Saturday was the only day we watched television—cartoons in the morning, and then little league and the library took up the day. Diary Queen was in between the field and the library— heaven on earth. Although the kids in my family only got to watch TV on Saturday it seemed like my parents always watched it. In high school, swim team practice started in the nude because we began so God awful early, way before the sun came up, and no one was there to unlock the laundry room. Laps were naked but the assistant coach retrieved the bundle of micro suits that we wore for the rest of practice. They seemed to accentuate the big dicks that some lucky boys sported. Coach threw the suits at us in the water because we had to put them on before the girl’s joined us in the pool. They had shorter practice and seemed to use only a tiny part of the pool which may be why I remember title ix emerging. I took a royal manuel typewriter to college. I constantly used the card catalog so I could type my papers. My junior year I got an IBM selectric typewriter with a black ribbon AND a correction ribbon. I was convinced that technology could go no further. I took a computer programming class, but it was keypunch card, garbage in/garbage out process and you had to learn two numerical languages. I was unimpressed and predicted computers would never catch on. I could have bought Apple early on. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Funny that the topic was what was I old enough to remember and I took myself through college. Some people, they just cant follow directions.

It's still there. I used to work there, in the 1960s.

Edited by Charlie

It's still there. I used to work there, in the 1960s.

Isn’t that amazing. The doctor who performed the operation was William W. Keen. He performed the first successful removal of a brain tumour in the United States, in the 1880s.

Were any of the older buildings still standing in the 1960s or had it been rebuilt?

Although the chain went out of business in 1977, if I remember correctly, the flagship store on Market Street was no longer a full service department store in the mid-70s, certainly not competitive with Gimbel's, Wanamaker's and Strawbridge's any longer. My sense was that it had become more like a downtown competitor to K-Mart, but in a classic building.

Isn’t that amazing. The doctor who performed the operation was William W. Keen. He performed the first successful removal of a brain tumour in the United States, in the 1880s.

Were any of the older buildings still standing in the 1960s or had it been rebuilt?

I worked in the main building, which certainly was much newer than the 1880s.

I remember when I heard of Kennedy’s death. I was six. The across the street neighbor would pick her daughter and me up from school. I remember getting in the car and she seemed different. She had the radio on, and normally she didn’t. I don’t know if, or who asked, but she either said Kennedy, or the president died. I don’t remember even knowing what a president was. When I got home, my mom was in her usual hectic pace of trying to get dinner ready for the family. Don’t remember anything else said about it that day.

I remember watching the news coverage of the ‘67 Detroit riots.

I remember landing on the moon. We had recently got a color TV, and all of us had our eyes clued to the screen. Probably the last time our entire family watched the same thing at the same time.

Who knows/remembers why out moms used canned pineapple vs. fresh ?

Virtually never saw fresh in smaller Midwestern town (10,000 people) where I grew up. It was canned or nothing.

Ok it was an off topic food science question ? there’s an enzyme in fresh pineapple that won’t allow gelatin to set properly. The enzyme becomes inactive in the pineapple canning process.

Similar to a post above about learning the death of JFK at a young age, I was 5 when King George VI died. As he was also the King of Canada, just as Elizabeth is our Queen, it was a big deal. No television then but my dad had heard about it on the morning news on the radio. When I got up, dad was shaving in the bathroom and he looked down on me and intoned, “the King is dead”. I just looked up at him and wondered what that meant.

As I got older I realized the first big change in our lives as Canadians was that we got a new face on our dollar bill, that of his daughter, Elizabeth. And on our coins as well, and postage stamps, pictures hung up in classrooms.

King’s highways became Queen’s highways, King’s Counsel (KC), Queen’s Counsel (QC)., etc.

It was huge!

King’s highways became Queen’s highways, King’s Counsel (KC), Queen’s Counsel (QC)., etc.

Kings Cross in Sydney was named in 1897 as Queens Cross (I'm not sure that she was) to mark the Diamond Jubilee, The name was changed to Kings Cross in 1905. It wasn't changed back in 1952. KCs became QCs here as well. For the Americans among you, Queens Counsel is a senior barrister (prosecuting or defending courtroom lawyer, the frontman/woman in the proceedings as opposed to the lawyer who does the actual work) who get to be a QC through a nomination followed by a judicial review of their standing in the profession. They are colloquially called Silks, and being granted the status called taking silk, reflecting silk being added to their gowns. In most states here they are called Senior Counsel now but the process for becoming one is still the same. If we become a republic we can probably count on them becoming Presidents Counsel, or PC.