Overused and empty words

actor61

Or "you know what I'm saying?" Howard Stern was interviewing a guy who used that phrase after nearly every sentence, and Howard would reply "I know what you're saying" EVERY time. I don't think the guy even noticed.

It drives me nuts when people interviewed on the news say it repeatedly.

Yet, is it proper usage to say correctitive?

Then why preventative?

According to my Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology, preventive and preventative have both been used interchangeably since the 17th century. Lots of things in the English Language are not strictly logical, including the analogy with corrective.

It’s dangerous and to a degree intellectually lazy to think the etymological history of one word should correspond to the etymological history of another word. Language behaves according to conventional rules, but there are always deviations from those rules.

Edited by xyz48B

• 5 months later...

St. Louis is the biggest city in Missouri population wise. And that city has the St. Louis Cardinals, one of the five and six most storied team in professional baseball along with the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs and Giants.

Please stop writing "back to the subject" so often. @pitman started this discussion, not you.

Sometimes "back to subject" is a suggestion. I don't know if I over use it but when I do I find it appropriate.

This!!! Countless articles about this phrase. I said it quite a bit early in my career and had a boss that corrected me every time. Now I cringe when people say it.

https://www.google.com/#q=stop+saying+reach+out

But for me, my least favorite word is "unacceptable." It's typically used by those who want to complain but have no solutions to offer. Usually they are left with no other choice but to accept the situation.

When those in power use the word unacceptable, which Justin Trudeau uses quite a bit, it means usually that he accepts the unacceptable, has no intention of doing anything about it, but wants to virtue signal that he knows it’s a bad situation.

Some people use c

Right. Some people use care in their choice of words. I will say that I'm tired of hearing TV anchors talking about "this moment."

Yes that could be appropriate though in situations like an earthquake hitting the TV studio while they are on air. I’ve seen that happen but their reactions are usually more like OMG, it’s an earthquake!

Three years ago I glanced at the title and smiled and said to myself: I can relate. Well, I did not post. Today it's December 20, 2020, and I'm back here at the Message Forum and thought I'd peruse this post. While I scrolled I smiled, for many of the cited annoyances are mine as well.

I am glad that I decided to do something that I should have done 3 years ago, and I thank azdr0710 for generating it.

*****Breaking News****** = a repeat of a news item from two hours ago; or, an item of news that is so insignificant that nobody cares

I’m old enough to remember when JFK was assassinated. Now that was breaking news.

With the 24/7 news cycle of cable networks, they need to recycle old stories on lean news days.

It would be refreshing to hear them say sometimes, “we have no breaking news sufficiently important to bring you at this time” “ we are now turning to some concert music recorded at...” lol