Overused and empty words

actor61

If "Husbear" is overused I must really be out of the loop, because this is the first time I have ever heard it.

I've heard it several times, but I have to admit I hate it - it sounds too contrived, and also wouldn't tend to make sense to anyone not familiar with gay "types." Introducing straight friends to your "husbear" might just provoke questioning faces, wondering if you said "husband" but they didn't hear you right.)

I don't know if it's become more common lately or whether I'm just noticing it now, but in radio interviews, I hear a lot people responding "That's a great question" before they go on with their answer. It was always around but lately it seems nearly universal.

Yes. Please stop beginning an answer with "that's a great question." Congressman Lieu does it for the first question in every interview. Ugh.

I don't know if it's become more common lately or whether I'm just noticing it now, but in radio interviews, I hear a lot people responding "That's a great question" before they go on with their answer. It was always around but lately it seems nearly universal.

Yes. Please stop beginning an answer with "that's a great question." Congressman Lieu does it for the first question in every interview. Ugh.

to make a long story short....my best friend says that every day...I just close my eyes and take a deep breath....I probably say something to irritate here...

or Thanks for having me on Anderson....That's an excellent question..

Anytime someone says "to make a long story short," I always reply with the great Clue quote: "Too late!"

to make a long story short....my best friend says that every day...I just close my eyes and take a deep breath....I probably say something to irritate here...

or Thanks for having me on Anderson....That's an excellent question..

Anytime someone says "to make a long story short," I always reply with the great Clue quote: "Too late!"

“Girls” in the office - they’re women

“Folks” seems to take on a demeaning overtone when used to describe “people”

Interesting that you see it that way, I would see it as, well 'folksy', familiar or dialect rather than demeaning. I guess it can depend on who says it and how they say it.

You’re right...context matters.

The chair of my department, who I am good friends with, uses "folx" in her emails. I feel like I can't really tell her I hate that, but it drives me crazy...

I don’t have an issue with gender neutral adaptations...but the work folks is inherently gender neutral to begin with. So, it seems unnecessarily disruptive.

I don’t have an issue with gender neutral adaptations...but the work folks is inherently gender neutral to begin with. So, it seems unnecessarily disruptive.

I think it's meant more as an internet abbreviation (on par with "ur" and "tryna" and other idiotic terms) than anything "PC."

I think it's meant more as an internet abbreviation (on par with "ur" and "tryna" and other idiotic terms) than anything "PC."

In googling it when this conversation was well under way, an explanation I read was that it purports to include marginalised groups. To me that is bullshit, 'folks' does not inherently include or exclude anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

'Affordable' Housing:

Affordable Housing Lottery Opens for six Units in Bed Stuy, Starting at $2,245 a month

Monthly rents for the income-restricted apartments -- two one-bedrooms and four two-bedrooms -- are higher than for market-rate units in the building. Of the income-restricted apartments, there are two one-bedroom units and four two-bedroom units. Monthly rents start at $2,245 and top out at $2,710. Current market rate listings show available two-bedroom units asking $2,261 a month and three-bedroom units asking $2,705 a month, which is actually $449 and $5 less than the income-restricted two-bedroom units, respectively.

affordable-housing-bed-stuy-brooklyn-770-774-lexington-avenue-main.png

Edited by samhexum