Whom

Actually

Literally

Virtually

Recite, when used to mean “read out loud”

Also these phrases...

I echo that.

Check your privilege.

I could care less. (It should be “couldn’t.”)

Us sarcastic people use "I could care less" because we use it sarcastically. In fact, it's one of my favorites. I couldn't care less just doesn't cut it.

Overused and empty words or statements should also include "that's a good question" after every question.

This one pisses me off especially when use in Congressional hearings to delay answering the question. Just fucking answer the question.

"I have the receipts" for "I have proof"......fairly recent phenomenon only used by badass people trying to be badass......way too obvious

A colleague started using that phrase until a high-ranking managing director told him to stop.

Overused and empty words or statements should also include "that's a good question" after every question.

A different colleague likes to use that phrase all the time. He used it on me when I was having "one of those days" and I said "That's why I asked it. Now please give me a good answer." He hasn't used it again(at least with me.)

"So," "Well" and "Yes" at the beginning of an answer are all simply fillers to indicate that the speaker understands and intends to respond to the question, but they give him a few extra seconds to think about what he will say. "That's a good question" serves the same function.

we pronounce it hay-nous

In Canada do you pronounce preventative or do you say preventive?

I believe the British say preventive which is (or should be) correct.

Afraid we are stuck with it though. Hear preventative a lot. My pet peeve. ?

In Canada do you pronounce preventative or do you say preventive?

I believe the British say preventive which is (or should be) correct.

Afraid we are stuck with it though. Hear preventative a lot. My pet peeve. ?

I had to think about this one. I would mostly say preventive, for example 'preventive maintenance.' But, and maybe it's for emphasis? I could also say "It's preventative!"

I had to think about this one. I would mostly say preventive, for example 'preventive maintenance.'

My immediate reaction was that I'd use preventative, but when you offered this, I realised I too would say preventive maintenance. I did a quick search and the Oxford listed both with the same definition and didn't comment in the dictionary on the etymology or which was preferred, or any difference in usage. Reading further, on one of the grammar sites it noted that preventive was used slightly more often in British English but was the most common usage in American English. Now I won't be able to stop myself from thinking about it every time I go to use the word/s.