Overused and empty words

actor61

I also hate the term "celebrity chef". I love eating at great restaurants but honestly, i've had great meals in hole in the walls too. Many celebrity chefs are always too busy opening up a new location or writing a cookbook to even be cooking. Unless you are dining at a chef's table, meals are probably prepared by line cooks following a formula and plating it according to a photo.

The president of our HOA announced in a meeting that she had turned down two job applicants because she suspected they had conspired together on their applications; her explanation was that both had used the phrase "ready to hit the ground running," which she had never heard before! Several of our jaws dropped (literally, not figuratively).

Hopefully she's not a.....

"Karen"

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's become more common lately or whether I'm just noticing it now, but in radio interviews, I hear a lot people responding "That's a great question" before they go on with their answer. It was always around but lately it seems nearly universal.

Yes, sometimes you think WTF, but other times it actually is a great question. If you're gonna use it, mean it, don't use it as a gap filler.

I don't know if it's become more common lately or whether I'm just noticing it now, but in radio interviews, I hear a lot people responding "That's a great question" before they go on with their answer. It was always around but lately it seems nearly universal.

It’s the best phrase to use when you don’t know the answer: it flatters the questioner and gives you time to think. ??‍♂️

When I was a student in Austria a number of years ago, I was surprised that my teachers would sometimes exclaim, "Scheisse!" ("shit" in German). They were surprised when I told them that an American teacher would never use that term in front of students.

Depends on the class, and of course the age range as well. In our college theatre classes, we don't shy away from cursing when it makes sense to do so. One term that my teaching colleague and I have coined is the "oh shit moment" - it's that moment when you say something and then realize you shouldn't have - which is an impulse that often comes up in acting terms. But of course when I've taught this device to younger actors, I call it the "oh crap moment" lol.

And then there was the fascinating discussion in class from a few weeks back - we had a student working on an Irving Berlin song ("The Secret Service") which refers at one point to "private dicks." I asked the student if she knew what she was singing about there, and there was some very funny awkward fumbling around as neither her nor the other students really knew, and of course thought it was a sexual reference. I think they were relieved to find out that it's short for "private detectives" lol. (She also didn't know what a "gumshoe" was. Kids - I don't know what's wrong with these kids today, lol...)

Edited by bostonman