Overused and empty words

actor61

On 12/26/2021 at 11:06 PM, Tygerscent said:

4). Please stop ending all sentences with “?”…. Question marks are for actual questions~? Not everything you write or say~? I just had to get that off my chest~? It’s just something I find really disturbing~? 🤷‍♂️
🤢🤢🤢🤮

It's become a permanent feature of the vernacular - there's no getting rid of it.

The lightning speed at which some of these words and expressions proliferate shows that, before they became trivialized by the media, they were perfectly serviceable fixtures of the language.  They wouldn't have captured the public imagination if they didn't have some initial appeal.  If you notice a catchy turn of phrase in a post on your favorite social media site, it is probably only a matter of weeks before it has proliferated like a virus.   The one I have come to hate, which I actually liked when I first heard it, is the "current moment" or the "present moment."

41 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

The lightning speed at which some of these words and expressions proliferate shows that, before they became trivialized by the media, they were perfectly serviceable fixtures of the language.  They wouldn't have captured the public imagination if they didn't have some initial appeal.  If you notice a catchy turn of phrase in a post on your favorite social media site, it is probably only a matter of weeks before it has proliferated like a virus.   The one I have come to hate, which I actually liked when I first heard it, is the "current moment" or the "present moment."

Agree. “current moment” and “present moment” = “now”  

a few others: “at that point in time” = “then” or “at the time in question”

My attorney brother swears he was taught to write this way in law school. I think it was “Skillful Verbose Document Creation Unsimplified 101” 

i don't remember if we received instruction in how to write.  We got lots of instruction in legal analysis, and that certainly shaped the way we wrote.  In practice, more experienced attorneys always emphasized the importance of clarity - that  a piece of writing had to be clearly understandable not only to other lawyers  but to a judge and jury as well.

• 4 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, OCClient said:

Made in plain and simple fashion, the old world way, handed down with care from grandmother to granddaughter, every loaf is baked with love in the same old brick oven that modern kitchens will never know. 

spacer.png

When I lived in Rochester in the 80's, there was an old Italian bakery on a little side street in the old Italian neiighborhood and all the bread and pizza were baked in an old clay oven, just because that was they way they had been doing it for decades and didn't see any reason to change.  Their bread was just amazing.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:45 PM, KrisParr said:

After I’ve given my eight hours … and it’s time to put away my work … if I hear or read, “at the end of the day,” one more time, I’m going to hit someone.

An irritating verbal crutch, indicating closure or synopsis, for morons who are incapable of finishing a sentence without incorporating at least one tired cliche.

15 minutes ago, bostonman said:

Tryna. (like it was ever a word in the first place.)

yup....common in some social media with people tryna be badass and really cool......are they too lazy to spell out "trying to"?......or still worried about the per-character charge to send a text??!!