Overused and empty words

actor61

On 8/21/2021 at 12:14 AM, FreshFluff said:

There’s a manner of speaking that I would ban if I were the language Taliban. It involves assigning responsibility or intent evenly to all parties involved even when it’s clearly inappropriate to do so.

“They tried to save the marriage”=One of them cheated while the other begged him/her to stay

“The group drifted apart”=Three of them decided to stop speaking to the fourth

People often use this tactic to save face. I find that it’s common among straight women who are more invested in their relationships than their partners. 

International relations edition:

NVA/Vietcong take over South Vietnam=“The Vietnamese rejected democracy.”

Another version if this conflates interest with competence.

”South Vietnamese ARVN soldiers didn’t care enough about democracy to fight for it.”

3 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

International relations edition:

NVA/Vietcong take over South Vietnam=“The Vietnamese rejected democracy.”

Another version if this conflates interest with competence.

”South Vietnamese ARVN soldiers didn’t care enough about democracy to fight for it.”

Leaving aside the minor point that 'democracy' and 'South Vietnam' were in no way related.

• 4 months later...

0.5). “Let’s do this” and “I got you, man” in movies~ Both imply doubt~ 

1). Referring to a play partner as “Lover”~
2). These words during sex: “fuck”, “fuck ya”, “oh fuck”, “do you like that?”, “fuuuuuck”~😳

3). “I love you” (to random everyone and people you don’t really love”~ 

4). Please stop ending all sentences with “?”…. Question marks are for actual questions~? Not everything you write or say~? I just had to get that off my chest~? It’s just something I find really disturbing~? 🤷‍♂️
🤢🤢🤢🤮

Edited by Tygerscent

On 3/29/2021 at 5:49 AM, Becket said:

I am literally sick of people using literally incorrectly. It literally made me puke. And what literally made me even sicker was some dictionary literally "OKed" the use of the word literally to mean NOT literally. I kid you not. Literally.

Goes with the misused of the word, “basically”

On 12/30/2020 at 11:01 PM, Danny-Darko said:

"totally" - Used to describe absolutely anything and everything.

"like" - Used in-between words as a crutch. Very overused in Southern California. Example: Listen to Cher speak.

"awesome" - Used to describe anything good.

"amazing" - Also used to describe anything good.

"It is what it is!" - What did people used to say before they started using this meaningless expression? "That's the way things are"?

"massive" - The way the British youth use it.

"wanker" - Overused in the UK, British Commonwealth Countries and those that learn British English as a foreign language.

"fuck" - when used so commonly in daily speech everywhere, even in the workplace, by women and children! I'm shocked when traveling hearing foreigners using English as a lingua franca (common language to communicate) use it in business and travel as if it wasn't a bad word! We can thank American TV and Hollywood for that! I have no problem with the word in sex talk and among close friends and guy friends. I think it's used in far too many situations where cussing is inappropriate.

"way" - Used to describe anything in excess, large or as a substitute for the word "very". It's way overused which is way un-kewl!

And so many other things. Especially speech developed in the LA Valley area which seems to be the birth place of contemporary American slang, corruption of vocabulary and bad English usage.

You forgot “Hella”

22 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

No, even though my brain sometimes feels as thick and dense as a concrete dam... hahaha

I like the metaphor of people being like dams: some regular and some hydroelectric~ Some just holding things back and some generating energy for others by what they hold back and let flow~  Some breaking away and releasing what was held behind… Some more like beaver dams that have a remarkable purpose and house life architects~ 

I like your dam idea~  

On 12/30/2020 at 11:01 PM, Danny-Darko said:

"totally" - Used to describe absolutely anything and everything.

"like" - Used in-between words as a crutch. Very overused in Southern California. Example: Listen to Cher speak.

"awesome" - Used to describe anything good.

"amazing" - Also used to describe anything good.

"It is what it is!" - What did people used to say before they started using this meaningless expression? "That's the way things are"?

"massive" - The way the British youth use it.

"wanker" - Overused in the UK, British Commonwealth Countries and those that learn British English as a foreign language.

"fuck" - when used so commonly in daily speech everywhere, even in the workplace, by women and children! I'm shocked when traveling hearing foreigners using English as a lingua franca (common language to communicate) use it in business and travel as if it wasn't a bad word! We can thank American TV and Hollywood for that! I have no problem with the word in sex talk and among close friends and guy friends. I think it's used in far too many situations where cussing is inappropriate.

"way" - Used to describe anything in excess, large or as a substitute for the word "very". It's way overused which is way un-kewl!

And so many other things. Especially speech developed in the LA Valley area which seems to be the birth place of contemporary American slang, corruption of vocabulary and bad English usage.

This is a great question… the girls have put in some great replies here. So, like, firstly, (to make a long story short),  I’m totally down with your awesome list here. Secondly, It’s like way amazing how massive this problem of how to use the English language properly is? It’s like a hella wank of the English language…? Fuck! I guess it is what it is…? Thirdly, Fuck AF! We can do better! Let’s do this! I got you… look, like, OMG, just live your best life!
  (I hope I understood the assignment). I’m literally sending energy your way. Thoughts and prayers 

Edited by Tygerscent

12 minutes ago, Tygerscent said:

This is a great question… the girls have put in some great replies here. So, like, firstly, (to make a long story short),  I’m totally down with your awesome list here. Secondly, It’s like way amazing how massive this problem of how to use the English language properly is? It’s like a hella wank of the English language…? Fuck! I guess it is what it is…? Thirdly, Fuck AF! We can do better! Let’s do this! I got you… look, like, OMG, just live your best life!
  (I hope I understood the assignment). I’m literally sending energy your way. Thoughts and prayers 

Like totally