Overused and empty words

actor61

...And ladies and gentlemen, we now have a brand new food fad branding - "impossible." As in the impossible burger, the impossible meatball, etc.

It isn't a fad. It is the name of a company that makes meat-like products that are not made of meat. Here's a link to their website. Their competitor is called Beyond Meat. I don't find either brand name to be an over-used or empty word, but I'm wondering whether the Forum gets the same visceral reaction to "Beyond Meat" as it does to "Impossible Burger."

By the way, Impossible does not make veggie burgers. The primary ingredients are water, soy protein concentrate, and various types of oil. Here's a list of ingredients from an article in Cooking Light:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

On the other hand, Gardenburger (which markets itself as a veggie burger) is made of actual vegetables as well as other ingredients:

Cooked Brown Rice (long Grain Brown Rice, Water), Button Mushrooms, Rolled Oats, Mozzarella Cheese (pasteurized Part-skim Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Onions, Water, Hydrated Wheat Bulgur (water, Bulgur Wheat), Crimini Mushrooms, Spices, Portabella Mushrooms, Cheddar Cheese (pasteurized Milk, Salt, Enzymes, Cultures, Annatto Color), Contains Two Percent Or Less Of Salt, Natural Flavors, Modified Vegetable Gum, Garlic Powder, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid, Whey, Malted Barley, Annatto Color, Malted Barley Flour, Onion Powder, Mushroom Powder, Guar Gum, Annatto Extract (color), Turmeric Extract (color), Soy Lecithin.

It isn't a fad. It is the name of a company that makes meat-like products that are not made of meat. Here's a link to their website. Their competitor is called Beyond Meat. I don't find either brand name to be an over-used or empty word, but I'm wondering whether the Forum gets the same visceral reaction to "Beyond Meat" as it does to "Impossible Burger."

By the way, Impossible does not make veggie burgers. The primary ingredients are water, soy protein concentrate, and various types of oil.

I stand corrected on the "veggie" part.

It's a fad. I've been hearing about "impossible burgers" for a while now, and then at a party this weekend, we had "impossible meatballs." It's the newest curiosity. It's a fad.

Over the last few years I have come to absolutely HATE the word veggie. It is just so so fucking cute. "Eat your veggies dear" I see nothing wrong with the word vegetables other than that veggies is shorter and thus more accommodating to those who are linguistically fucking lazy.

I refuse to even use that word..lazy people ..

It's a fad. I've been hearing about "impossible burgers" for a while now, and then at a party this weekend, we had "impossible meatballs." It's the newest curiosity. It's a fad.

I do not believe it's a fad. Veganism and Vegetarianism are growing because millennials and gen z recognize how bad beef consumption is health-wise and environmentally. In my neck of these woods, nearly everyone I know has adjusted their meal plans to include at least 1 or 2 days a week that are vegetarian or vegan. I love a good burger, and I prefer impossible over beyond when I want a close approximation to beef. But, we'll have to see if the rest of the country catches on. Certainly the numbers coming out in the press suggest beyond and impossible are on to something profitable. We'll just have to see if their businesses are sustainable and expandable.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/impossible-foods-beyond-meat-and-the-growth-of-the-meatless-meat-market/

...It's a fad. I've been hearing about "impossible burgers" for a while now, and then at a party this weekend, we had "impossible meatballs." It's the newest curiosity. It's a fad.

Then you mean meat-like, meat-free products are the fad which (like @LivingnLA) I do not believe are a fad. Impossible is but one company that produces such products. Beyond is another. Being soy intolerant, I have not tried Impossible burgers, but I have tried Beyond Meat burgers and liked them.

By the way, unless the party was catered by a restaurant, you did not have Impossible meatballs. They are not sold directly to consumers. You probably had a product that was made by Beyond Meat. Whoever called it an Impossible meatball was wrong.

On second thought, they were right. It is impossible to buy Impossible burgers and meatballs in a retail store or wholesale club.

I’d like to think it’s a fad. I consult in the F&B business...but the issue is going to be how these products cut down on beef/cows producing greenhouse gases, and over utilizing open ranges, grass, water...all the while burping and farting into the air.

Seriously...climate change is what will give this “fad” legs. Not consumers clamoring for “impossible” meat substitutes.

By the way, unless the party was catered by a restaurant, you did not have Impossible meatballs. They are not sold directly to consumers. You probably had a product that was made by Beyond Meat. Whoever called it an Impossible meatball was wrong.

On second thought, they were right. It is impossible to buy Impossible burgers and meatballs in a retail store or wholesale club.

The party was catered in part, and the meatballs were part of that. The restaurant in question does use the "Impossible" company.

My point on "fad" is this - it seems to be the newest food "thing." Like gluten free, and pomegranates, and kale, sriracha, and the like. Things that people seem to become obsessed with for a short time before they're replaced with something else even trendier. I didn't know that "Impossible" was actually a specific trademarked company - originally I had just heard about Burger King's Impossible Whopper - but I'm still wondering if this is popular because it's the new "thing" more than anything else.

...but the issue is going to be how these products cut down on beef/cows producing greenhouse gases, and over utilizing open ranges, grass, water...all the while burping and farting into the air.

Seriously...climate change is what will give this “fad” legs. Not consumers clamoring for “impossible” meat substitutes.

That's an interesting point - thank you.

In 1958 Gigi, a music film directed by Vincent Minnelli was released. It stared Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier, and Louis Jourdan. At one point in the film Chevalier sings a song entitled “I’m So Glad I’m Not Young Anymore”. As I have grown older this song has become more and more relevant to my way of thinking.

The more I hear and read about how we all need to change our life style to accommodate the 21st century the happier I am about how old I am. For me, at least, one outstanding example of this is the current fad (necessity) to remove animal products from our diet. At 78 I hopefully won’t be around if and when this fad (necessity) become reality. Thus I will likely be able to continue enjoying my In-N-Out cheeseburgers and my blood rare steaks till death do me part from this ever growing silly world. My great niece is a vegan and supposedly a very accomplished cook. Everything I have eaten that she prepared was either tasteless or evil tasting.

In 1999 Julie Roberts and Hugh Grant starred in a film entitled Notting Hill. Early in the film Grant is having dinner at a friend’s home. His friends are attempting to set him up with the fourth member of the dinner party. It turns out that the girl is a fruitarian. However, she is a very special type of fruitarian. She will only eat fruit that has fallen from a tree or bush because if the fruit is picked it would be killed. Is this the next fad?

DAMN “I’m so glad I’m Not Young Anymore”.

P.S. Sorry if this epistle to too far afield from the topic

Guest LeonTrotsky
In 1958 Gigi, a music film directed by Vincent Minnelli was released. It stared Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier, and Louis Jourdan. At one point in the film Chevalier sings a song entitled “I’m So Glad I’m Not Young Anymore”. As I have grown older this song has become more and more relevant to my way of thinking.

The more I hear and read about how we all need to change our life style to accommodate the 21st century the happier I am about how old I am. For me, at least, one outstanding example of this is the current fad (necessity) to remove animal products from our diet. At 78 I hopefully won’t be around if and when this fad (necessity) become reality. Thus I will likely be able to continue enjoying my In-N-Out cheeseburgers and my blood rare steaks till death do me part from this ever growing silly world. My great niece is a vegan and supposedly a very accomplished cook. Everything I have eaten that she prepared was either tasteless or evil tasting.

In 1999 Julie Roberts and Hugh Grant starred in a film entitled Notting Hill. Early in the film Grant is having dinner at a friend’s home. His friends are attempting to set him up with the fourth member of the dinner party. It turns out that the girl is a fruitarian. However, she is a very special type of fruitarian. She will only eat fruit that has fallen from a tree or bush because if the fruit is picked it would be killed. Is this the next fad?

Speaking of Gigi --

Maurice Chevalier, "Thank Heaven for Little Girls"

Each time I see a little girl

Of five or six or seven

I can't resist a joyous urge

To smile and say

Thank heaven for little girls

All of us over 40 are part of the problem. We've created this world where global warming is already creating hundreds of thousands of refugees and growing unrest around the world. Those of us in the energy and finance fields decided to ignore all the research from the 1970s that warned us about climate change because we preferred short term profits and our own consumerism and pleasure.

I struggle with my own carbon footprint sometimes, but I'm getting better and while I am sad about the world we are leaving our kids, I am encouraged by the focus and passion of my kids and their friends. They give me hope that things will finally change in important ways toward a sustainable and environmentally aware society.

One of the reasons I prefer Impossible Burger is the bleeding. I like my burgers medium rare and Impossible is the only beef substitute that I know of that can closely deliver that experience. Impossible's products aren't healthy in the same way as veggie burgers but they are a solution for reducing beef consumption which is critical for the future health of our planet.

but they are a solution for reducing beef consumption which is critical for the future health of our planet.

I just want to clarify that if indeed Impossible's products help in this regard, I'm all for it.

My comments on the idea that's it's a fad have all to do with the typical "bandwagon" people jump on to be a part of the "cool new thing," and not at all about the products' benefits. If Impossible burgers become a welcome "norm" - that's absolutely great.

I just want to clarify that if indeed Impossible's products help in this regard, I'm all for it.

My comments on the idea that's it's a fad have all to do with the typical "bandwagon" people jump on to be a part of the "cool new thing," and not at all about the products' benefits. If Impossible burgers become a welcome "norm" - that's absolutely great.

I hear you and agree.

Spot on!

The party was catered in part, and the meatballs were part of that. The restaurant in question does use the "Impossible" company.

My point on "fad" is this - it seems to be the newest food "thing." Like gluten free, and pomegranates, and kale, sriracha, and the like. Things that people seem to become obsessed with for a short time before they're replaced with something else even trendier. I didn't know that "Impossible" was actually a specific trademarked company - originally I had just heard about Burger King's Impossible Whopper - but I'm still wondering if this is popular because it's the new "thing" more than anything else.

That's an interesting point - thank you.

Pomegranates are a fad? My family has been making pomegranate jelly for over 30 years.

Guest LeonTrotsky
Pomegranates are a fad? My family has been making pomegranate jelly for over 30 years.

yes! pomegranate juice is totally a "thing" now in the health/fitness community - pomegranate molasses very popular, too (but i think that has been an element of south asian cooking for a long time...)

Wasn't pomegranate juice a thing about two decades ago? That's how POM built their whole business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POM_Wonderful

pomegranate molasses

We have used pomegranate molasses for many years because it's a key ingredient in one of our favorite Persian dishes, Fesenjān.

https://persianmama.com/chicken-in-walnut-pomegranate-sauce-khoresht-fesenjan/

• 10 months later...

https://www.lssu.edu/banished-words-list/

the 2020 list from Lake Superior State University includes:

quid pro quo

artisanal

curated

influencer

literally

I mean

living my best life

mouthfeel

chirp

jelly

totes

vibe/vibe check

OK, boomer

I'll add "enhanced sanitation protocols" and "contactless", which might make the 2021 list....by the way, I see "influencer" didn't pass my computer's spellcheck - yay!!

https://www.lssu.edu/banished-words-list/

the 2020 list from Lake Superior State University includes:

quid pro quo

artisanal

curated

influencer

literally

I mean

living my best life

mouthfeel

chirp

jelly

totes

vibe/vibe check

OK, boomer

I'll add "enhanced sanitation protocols" and "contactless", which might make the 2021 list....by the way, I see "influencer" didn't pass my computer's spellcheck - yay!!

Jelly? What's up with that, is there a new use for that word that I'm unaware of?