Overused and empty words

actor61

An easy rule for the pronunciation of the last letter of a French word is: If it is a consonant that is in the word "careful" it is pronounced. If not in "careful" it is not pronounced. 95% accurate.

Nice one! I could only think of one exception (fusil), so that is a very good one.

• 1 month later...

Already been covered but deserves another mention: “Going forward.” I don’t know when it entered the lexicon, but it drives me nuts.

Also, “so...” as the first word in response to a question:

“How long have you worked here?”

“So, it’s been about 2 years.”

“Did you come up with this product on your own and did someone help you?”

“So, my friend Jezebel and I came up with it.”

Aaaargh.

"pivot"

When used (as I understand was originally done by its Aussie originators) as a response to a request, "No worries" is okay (although overused). I'm finding, however, it is often said by someone in response to criticism of their problematic/annoying behavior. They don't get it.

Edited by BigRic

When used (as I understand was originally done by its Aussie originators) as a response to a request, "No worries" is okay (although overused).

Yes, that's the intention. No worries, no problems, no probs, no wuckers. It's standard usage here, not some edgy slang, so for us it doesn't get that 'overused' feel. There are, of course, people who don't like it for whatever curmudgeonly reasons.

• 8 months later...

I was in A&E in Sydney with a broken nose. They temporarily misplaced my passport. We went through everything—dirty linen, the bay I’d been in—no passport. I wanted to leave, and said “Thank you” to the Nurse. She said “No worries!”

I was in a foreign country on a Saturday night, leaving Monday at 08h45 to New Zealand - No Worries? Grrrrrrrrr ………

After reviewing the range of objections posted in this thread, I'm thinking that, if we honor all of them, our communications will be limited to grunts and gesticulations. :D

It really toasts my bread when someone goes "rrggg-rrggg" when EVERYONE knows it is "urg-urg." :)

After reviewing the range of objections posted in this thread, I'm thinking that, if we honor all of them, our communications will be limited to grunts and gesticulations. :D

Hmmmppp!

I remember seeing a mock headline along the lines of 'women continue to be mystified that grown men can have meaningful conversations using no words'.

When men get together and grunt

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that guy talk is vastly different from girl talk. For one thing, when it comes to guys, a grunt isn't just a grunt. Guys have an entire language made up of these things. Just the delivery, or a slight inflection on a single grunt, can make the difference between a grunt that means "okay" or a grunt that means, "dude, how about a cheeseburger and a beer?"

I have to say, the author is hanging out with some lightweights if a conversation about chainsaws was only 27 minutes. No one better ask me about lightbulbs... o_O

The use of "fun" as an adjective, as in "a fun vacation," "How fun was that!?" Foreign students know from their English language dictionaries that "fun" is a noun, and "funny" is an adjective, so they will often assume that the correct expression is "a funny vacation," "How funny was that!?" Then they are surprised by their hearer's or reader's puzzled reaction.

The use of "fun" as an adjective, as in "a fun vacation," "How fun was that!?" Foreign students know from their English language dictionaries that "fun" is a noun, and "funny" is an adjective, so they will often assume that the correct expression is "a funny vacation," "How funny was that!?" Then they are surprised by their hearer's or reader's puzzled reaction.

Problem is, "fun" IS an adjective as well as a noun. What surprises me, as I was looking up dictionary definitions, is to find out that it can also be a verb. Oxford has the example "no need to get sore, I was only funning." Ick. :(

I've noticed that recently a lot of MSMBC's commentators beginning their sentences with "So,..."

To me, this is the new "Um,..." and "Like..." Maybe it's a fad; it's definitely a plague. I know, I know, F. Scott felt great about "So, we beat on, boats against the current..." But Renato Mariotti, as hot as he is, is no Fitzgerald.

The Strunk & White in me prefers the total elimination of any unnecessary word at the beginning of a sentence, but would settle for a simple "Thus,...."

I've noticed that recently a lot of MSMBC's commentators beginning their sentences with "So,..."

To me, this is the new "Um,..." and "Like..." Maybe it's a fad; it's definitely a plague. I know, I know, F. Scott felt great about "So, we beat on, boats against the current..." But Renato Mariotti, as hot as he is, is no Fitzgerald.

The Strunk & White in me prefers the total elimination of any unnecessary word at the beginning of a sentence, but would settle for a simple "Thus,...."

I actually did a paper on this phenomenon, for a college linguistics class. The gist is that as humans, we're inherently uncomfortable with silence as we speak, so we tend to "cover" moments by putting in syllables like "um..." - and the habit of prefacing our speech with words like "so" is related to that. (It's a way to start the thought without actually getting there yet.)

I think you'll find that it happens many places other than MSNBC. ;)

The use of "fun" as an adjective, as in "a fun vacation," "How fun was that!?" Foreign students know from their English language dictionaries that "fun" is a noun,

As an astute observer of Microsoft tech documentation once noted, “any noun can be verbed”.

Lean into it

Move the needle

Bro

Sup

“Straight “ (while seeking a gay sex act)

And, most any lame conversation starter on Grindr. I mean - when a total stranger asks “What are you up to?”, I have to fight my Catholic bullshit obligation to feel like I should answer. Sometimes I do not want to admit that I am sitting on the toilet killing time on a gay hookup app, you know?;-P