Overused and empty words

actor61

So am I. Here's my last example of bad French - "bon appetEET". Even Julia Child said it that way and it's wrong. The final t is not pronounced. It's "bon appetee".

CROISSant

BEEday

Bon appetee

Coup de grace

There. I'm done. You all stand corrected. Je vous souhaite une tres bonne journee.

'Noter Dame' Urgh! Notre Dame pronounced Notre Dam, s'il vous plait!

Mais non. Again, I disagree, based on the principle that assimilation from one language into another happens all the time and shouldn't be counted in the same way. If you're going to see the great cathedral in Paris, it's (approximately)"No-tra Dahm." If you're going to be the QB for the Fighting Irish at that university in Indiana, it's "No-duhr Daym." And that's that.

Any lawyers on here want to defend the often brutally twisted Anglicised pronunciations of (formerly) Latin legal terms? :D

Edited by bostonman

"boutique" hotels, "boutique" lawyer offices....anything boutique....pretentious and silly.....

and "heirloom" tomatoes.....not quite clear on this....are they some sort of upper class strain of tomatoes?....or am I being cynical??!!

"boutique" hotels, "boutique" lawyer offices....anything boutique....pretentious and silly.....

and "heirloom" tomatoes.....not quite clear on this....are they some sort of upper class strain of tomatoes?....or am I being cynical??!!

My grandparents (who'd be around 130 years-old now) grew many varieties/types of tomatoes here in the South. Some stayed green - to be fried (yum!,) larger reds were perfect for a sandwich (white bread, mayo, tomato slices, salt and pepper - yum, again!,) yellow tomatoes supposedly have less acid than reds. Who knows?

Never, ever saw a purple tomato :confused: on their vines.

http://www.masterchomp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/heirloom-tomatoes-300px.jpg

And... We can probably buy 'em in a basket at a local curb market for less cost that the goddam involvement of growing our own. IMHO.

My grandparents (who'd be around 130 years-old now) grew many varieties/types of tomatoes here in the South. Some stayed green - to be fried (yum!,) larger reds were perfect for a sandwich (white bread, mayo, tomato slices, salt and pepper - yum, again!,) yellow tomatoes supposedly have less acid than reds. Who knows?

Never, ever saw a purple tomato :confused: on their vines.

http://www.masterchomp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/heirloom-tomatoes-300px.jpg

And... We can probably buy 'em in a basket at a local curb market for less cost that the goddam involvement of growing our own. IMHO.

I understand "heirloom." In the US, we think there are 3 kinds of tomatoes - big red ones, medium red ones, small red ones. There's traditionally been a limited selection of produce - one kind of corn, a few kinds of apples, a small variety of potato. The idea that someone out there is researching, learning, acquiring, and growing these heirloom fruits/vegetables (not a botanical thing, but that's another post) makes me want to appreciate, learn, and enjoy.

I fucking hate "How are you? "How's is going?" and the like when there is no real interest in the answer. You aren't greeting me with those questions. You're asking me a question. Why would you ask a question if you didn't want the answer? Just say Hi. I don't need you to care about my life if you're the cashier at a store, I just need you to make proper change.