Overused and empty words

actor61

All percentages over 100.

(No. You are not giving 110%! Stop it!)

I was beaten to the punch on this one, but I sort of like its use to reflect what is being done as beyond expectations. 110% reduction is just silly.

One of my minor peeves is 'x year anniversary'. The 'ann' part comes from 'year', so it should be 'x-th anniversary'. I'm not as concerned about expressions like '6 month anniversary' as they denote a shift in the meaning from a yearly marker to a marker of a significant (in the mind of the speaker) amount of time.

Azz (i.e. ass)

Lol (did you see what I did then?), azz isn't even a short-cut! I wouldn't use ass to start with unless I meant donkey. I have to confess I've started using bc for because in texts, but not all the time. In twitter I'll write what I want to say and try to edit it down to 140 characters, and I'll use ur, 4, 2 and some other text-speak at times, but not if I can do it differently and convey what I want to say.

azz isn't even a short-cut! I wouldn't use ass to start with unless I meant donkey.

I guess I don't see any problem in typing 2 s's instead of the idiocy of substituting 2 z's. I didn't think, and don't think, in this day and age, that "ass" is that offensive anymore. It certainly wasn't one of the infamous George Carlin "7 words you can't say on television" lol.

"Azz" is not a word. To me it rhymes with "jazz" (as opposed to "pass") and is just obnoxious and frankly rather infantile. And even so, I suppose I might say that people that use it are azzholes, or maybe just azzes. (Or is that azzez?) o_O

I didn't think, and don't think, in this day and age, that "ass" is that offensive anymore.

I don't know that people would use 'azz' because they thought 'ass' was offensive. Offence, I'd have thought, is the last thing that the typical texter would be thinking of! I don't use 'ass' in that context because the Australian word is 'arse' (which, incidentally, rhymes with the way I say 'pass'), nothing to do with being offensive. I, too, don't think that ass/arse is offensive any more. [in spoken language, I'd put ass/arse down to accent rather than different words and I'd have thought nothing of just saying it the way I do, on paper it sort of becomes a decision. So if there were a time when I would have said 'ass' as if I were switching to an American accent, I'd write 'ass'.]

I don't know that people would use 'azz' because they thought 'ass' was offensive. Offense, I'd have thought, is the last thing that the typical texter would be thinking of!

So, why do they spell it that way, then? I have yet to see a reason for it.

the Australian word is 'arse' (which, incidentally, rhymes with the way I say 'pass'),

Same in British. As in Eliza Doolittle's iconic line "Come on, Dover, move your bloomin' arse!"

And I can be sure I've never seen it written as "move your bloomin' azz." :eek:

Sometimes 'literally' can be used for precision when whatever wording had been used could be taken figuratively.

But, much of the time, it's used instead of "figuratively," and that's the problem. The same happens with the word "veritably" when it's somehow used to describe something in a metaphorical way.

So, why do they spell it that way, then? I have yet to see a reason for it.

I don't know what context you are seeing the usage. I've rarely seen it used, but when I have it's been in the context of a very lecherous type statement meant to imply a tone of voice like, " I need to get some a dat azz."