Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

I feel unlucky. I signed up for Othena to get notifications of the vaccine, but nothing is popping up.

In SoCal and I can drive to Los Angeles and West Hollywood, but nothing is showing up available there either.

Anyone have any advice for SoCal resident?

my county health department had an mpox vax "fair" last Saturday....I arrived 15 minutes ahead of opening time to about 200 people in line with hundreds more arriving before closing time......despite not meeting the requested parameters (contact with somebody with mpox in the last 14 days or close contact/sex with multiple men in the last 14 days), I was able to get my first shot.....well-organized, plenty of staff, plenty of condoms and hand sanitizer at the waiting areas!.....

very slight bruise-y feeling now still present at the shot site and yesterday afternoon, 72 hours after the shot, I felt just a bit nauseous (threw up just a bit) and lightly dizzy (though all that may've been because I hadn't eaten anything yet that day)........feeling great today......

doc who gave me the shot said 80% immunity in two weeks even without a second shot......a very popular traveling masseur is in town this week who I've seen before, but I called and told him, "out of an abundance of caution........." 

I’m sure @SirBillybob will provide a much more nuanced answer, but the 
1/5 intradermal shot seems to be using the similar guessing game that was 
used to support the subcutaneous full dose shots. 

They looked at the immune responses (which are "similar") and they’re 
betting (based on "weak but ok" science) that that response is "good enough"
based on extrapolated data from the immune response and protection seen in 
older vaccines. For the record, thats a lot of educated guessing and extrapolations
for a new and unproven medical therapy. 

It’s not great, but I applaud them for thinking "outside the box". Of course,
we wouldn’t be in this position in the first place if they hadn’t fumbled the ball
in the 1st quarter of the game, but here we are. 

If it works (and that’s a big if) then we can hopefully avoid the painfully
obvious shortage that’s coming soon, where only about 1/4th of the at risk 
population is vaccinated, and we’re completely out of vaccine.

At the end of the day, given the shit hole were in, I think it’s the right call. 

Ontario today said that only about 30 new confirmed cases have been reported in the last week. While not saying it in the news report I heard, that would seem to be a leveling off of new cases.

Ontario now leads Quebec in confirmed cases but not by much. The two cities of Toronto and Montreal account for the vast majority of cases. Many others caught it visiting those cities for large events like Pride. 

Even though I have one vax and two childhood vaxes, I'm definitely going to scale back on hiring until the disease progression becomes more clear.

B.C. health officials telling Americans not to travel to Canada for monkeypox vaccine

"Due to limited supply, vaccine is intended for residents of Canada or those visiting B.C. for prolonged periods. Do not travel to VCH vaccine clinics from outside Canada for immunization. Contact your local Public Health unit for information about receiving monkeypox vaccine."

https://globalnews.ca/news/9053614/bc-us-monkeypox-vaccine-tourism/

I wonder if this will happen in Quebec or Ontario. It wouldn't surprise me. 

To date the governments have been very liberal in their policy of access to the monkeypox vaccination. Quite different from the early days of covid vaccines when the US hoarded their supplies.

44 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

So I guess there won’t be any 2nd doses of the vaccine available in NYC any time soon. 

Who knows really. I'm in NYC too and my ID doc said there would be, and to not worry. Hopefully he's not just saying that to keep me calm,  but I've trusted him for everything else.  I guess the other question remains will it be a full shot or split for 5 people? There is a lot of controversy on both sides of the coin regarding this 🤷‍♂️

On 8/11/2022 at 9:20 PM, JUWS said:

Who knows really. I'm in NYC too and my ID doc said there would be, and to not worry. Hopefully he's not just saying that to keep me calm,  but I've trusted him for everything else.  I guess the other question remains will it be a full shot or split for 5 people? There is a lot of controversy on both sides of the coin regarding this 🤷‍♂️

My friend‘s husband is an ID consultant for the city and he says it will most likely be the split dose for the 2nd shot. 

In New Jersey, they expanded the number of sites you can obtain the first dose of the shot.  Called this past Thursday - could have had an appointment that day but got the shot today.  Fairly quick, plus the 15 minute wait.  Second shot scheduled for 4 weeks from now.  Along with all the other qualifying questions, they do ask if you are a resident of NJ.  

6 minutes ago, Tygerscent said:

Oh well… 🤷‍♂️

It's ok. At the time I didn't understand why either but from looking at the faq at the nyc health site https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/monkeypox/jynneos-vaccine-faq.pdf, this is what it states:

Can I get the vaccine at the same time as other vaccines?

The JYNNEOS vaccine may be given before, after or at the same time as other vaccines. The exceptions are the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines. People at increased risk of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart), particularly young adult males, might consider waiting four weeks after their JYNNEOS vaccine to get a dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. However, if vaccination is recommended due to a known exposure to monkeypox, you should get the JYNNEOS vaccine even if you recently got the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.

A flight attendant states he thinks he caught monkeypox from a dirty hotel room or on the plane. He's currently in quarantine in a hotel room in Fort Lauderdale for 3 weeks. Thankfully his airline is paying for the costs and giving him a $50 daily grubhub credit.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:37 AM, Musclejake said:

I’ve been vaccinated, but still taking serious precautions until my second vaccine.  I make my clients answer a list of questions to limit any risk.  I encourage all sex workers and masseurs to get vaccinated asap!

Im doing the same thing too! Im actually not even taking new clients and just staying with my regulars at the moment

Has anyone that lives in states other than NY, CA, TX, FL been able to get the vaccine in their state?  So far in Michigan, there is little availability and what they have is being given only to people who have been exposed to MP so I would not quality.  Are people in other states finding the same issues on availability?

27 minutes ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Has anyone that lives in states other than NY, CA, TX, FL been able to get the vaccine in their state?  So far in Michigan, there is little availability and what they have is being given only to people who have been exposed to MP so I would not quality.  Are people in other states finding the same issues on availability?

It’s readily available in Virginia, or at least the northern suburbs outside of DC. All the jurisdictions offering it are making it available to any resident of VA.

1 hour ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Available in NJ.  They rolled out some new locations to get the shot but believe it is only for NJ residents (given that specific question they asked).  It didn't appear it would be restricted to only people exposed  

https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/monkeypox.shtml