Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

Three months out you start forgetting the sequence of events in detail but as I recall, in the early days governments were reluctant to reveal how much smallpox vaccine they had on hand ready to be distributed. Canada and the US both depended on the Danish company to supply the vaccine and it had closed down new production so countries could just rely on what they had already ordered and had set aside for them.

Canada had sufficient supplies that they quickly made available in the hot spots of Montreal and then Toronto. The provincial authorities then made the vaccine available to all comers, including foreigners who by early June were taking advantage of the offered vaccine 

The US took 3 weeks as I recall to start the process of getting the vaccine from Denmark. It was precious time squandered. So I don't think kudos are in order for the US response. 

Omg three weeks!? 

Have you checked with the cities and provinces outside of Toronto and Montreal how long some had to wait? 

American privilege rears itself yet again 

i-want-it-now.gif

Edited by Tactile Daddy

I was just coming to terms with my sexuality when AIDS started in the 80's, so I got to live through that and the HORRIBLE government response to it...and I ended up losing 3 friends to it eventually.

I can not imagine if there had been a vaccine (yes, I know there wasn't one) for it that could be given within 2 months of the outbreak, how different the world would have been.

2 hours ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

I was just coming to terms with my sexuality when AIDS started in the 80's, so I got to live through that and the HORRIBLE government response to it...and I ended up losing 3 friends to it eventually.

I can not imagine if there had been a vaccine (yes, I know there wasn't one) for it that could be given within 2 months of the outbreak, how different the world would have been.

False Equivalence Much? 

Meanwhile,  latest statistics show current measures,  less random hook ups and vaccinations are helping 

Screenshot_20220816-095509_Instagram.jpg

1 hour ago, Tactile Daddy said:

False Equivalence Much? 

Meanwhile,  latest statistics show current measures,  less random hook ups and vaccinations are helping 

Screenshot_20220816-095509_Instagram.jpg

Just to be clear, that steep drop at the end (indicated by the gray shade underneath) is likely due more to cases not being tallied yet than a true, drastic reduction. 

Kevin Slater

6 hours ago, nycman said:

Can you site your source for this? I’m not saying it’s wrong but it 
doesn’t match the reality that most of us experienced. It sounds 
very much like an "official US government" spin on the facts.

I honestly would appreciate being educated if I’m wrong, but it seems 
like the arrival and release of the vaccine was severely delayed because
of a flat footed and completely uncoordinated response by the FDA, the
CDC and the US Department of Health and Human Services. Quite frankly,
it’s a been public health and public relations disaster. 

"Jurisdictions may also request shipments of ACAM2000 vaccine, which is in much greater supply, but due to significant side effects is not recommended for everyone." https://aspr.hhs.gov/SNS/Pages/JYNNEOS-Distribution.aspx

So if the particular local health authority wants to administer ACAM as opposed to Jynneos, there appears to be no shortage of the vaccine (but that ugly scar ...)

18 hours ago, Tactile Daddy said:

Omg three weeks!? 

Have you checked with the cities and provinces outside of Toronto and Montreal how long some had to wait? 

American privilege rears itself yet again 

i-want-it-now.gif

I suspect as a Canadian he is well aware of the situation in other parts of his country, and also in his nearest big city of Montréal. American privilege? Nah, not so much.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:02 PM, Rod Hagen said:

And, if one were to do this, would it matter that the first shot, a month ago, was the SubQ dose, and the second shot would be Intraderm dose?

Let's hope not. This is how the authorities in Florida are doing it. My first dose was subcutaneous and, when I went back for the second dose because Florida is scheduling them, the second dose was intradermal. 

Incidentally, that second dose hit me harder than the first. Felt under the weather about 12 hours in.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Incidentally, that second dose hit me harder than the first. Felt under the weather about 12 hours in.

Thank you for the report. How long ago was your 2nd dose? Is there any visible marking on the skin still where you got it?

9 minutes ago, BtmBearDad said:

Anyone else in NYC who has gotten their 1st Monkeypox vax get a text from NYC saying they’re prioritizing 1st doses, and will let you know when 2nd doses are available? Has anyone in NYC actually gotten a 2nd dose? 

I’m reading the text as don’t count on any 2nd doses anytime soon 🤷🏼‍♂️

I got the same text - my assumption is that 2nd doses will only be available once additional supplies of the vaccine arrive in the fall.  

2 hours ago, FunGuyUS said:

My second dose knocked me out for a day. Just tired no fever or anything  

Arm was sore for just 3 days 

I’ve gotten my second dose and friends are already scheduled 
for their second dose next week, but those were all in NY outside
of NYC. I don’t know of any second doses being given in NYC. 

So far it seems the rules and protocols are regional (and as a 
result a confusing shit show), but it it’s what it is. 

With the move to 1/5 intradermal shots, the number of available
shots should increase dramatically soon.  

Edited by nycman

LA here. I just got mine yesterday. Got it thru my insurance where nobody else has it to offer. Going in for 2nd dose in 30 days but happy I got it. 

Got it in my rear delt and didnt feel a thing. No symptoms afterwards either. They're injecting sub-q just FYI vs intramuscular hence why most people don't report anything. 

Good luck out there guys and stay safe!

I don’t know, periodically new diseases are coming out, all exaggerated by the news. I’ve taken my precautions for the last 2 years and I haven’t even gotten the common flu. Is not pretend stuff isn’t happening in the world but is also not live in fear either and inform yourself from a lot of different sources to make the best decision, not jump into the wagon.

Does anyone know if there is any problem getting the second shot less than 28 days after the first?  I may have a chance to get the 2nd shot this weekend, but I'd be cutting into the 28 days by a couple.

I've been looking online but all I find is recommendations to get them at least 28 days apart.

Edited by Jim_n_NYC

Guest MikeThomas

Was easy to schedule in Chicago.  Poor Andrew Sullivan is having a nervous breakdown over the lack of vaccine availability.