Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

47 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

Adding on.....LA county emailed me yesterday to fill out a form to get on the waiting list for the first dose. This morning, I received the text that allows me to get the shot at one of the walk up sites. 

56 minutes ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Some pretty graphic photos on a MP sufferer in the UK.  He also had un-diagnosed syphilis and HIV so he was more susceptible to a severe case of MP.  If these photos don't cause one to take pause I don't know what would.  

https://news.yahoo.com/graphic-photo-shows-severe-monkeypox-113233387.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

https://www.saddlenose.com/syphilis-or-leprosy/#:~:text=Syphilis and leprosy are bacterial,Dr.

Sad case. Wonder why he didn't know about either. 

Recent article highlighting that most transmission in our community, well I guess I need to say 'men who have sex with men', that for us, it is more a sexually transmitted disease versus a 'skin to skin' spread.  I guess putting a dick in your ass or in your mouth is about as close of contact as you can get, so... makes sense!

Philly area vaccinations are a nightmare.  I will likely be hiding out through the fall.  

Side note - I'm surprised vaccine companies aren't setting up clinics for paid vaccinations.  I would pay out of pocket it for it, especially if a company were to donate one dose for free distribution for my paid one.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-health-and-wellness/sex-men-not-skin-contact-fueling-monkeypox-new-research-suggests-rcna43484

36 minutes ago, EastCoastBtm said:

Philly area vaccinations are a nightmare.  I will likely be hiding out through the fall.  

Same for metro Detroit area.  Hardly any vaccine availability in Michigan and priority is being given to those that have known exposure to someone that has monkeypox.  Zero availability for just preventative uses.  I hope this changes in the next two weeks.

51 minutes ago, EastCoastBtm said:

Side note - I'm surprised vaccine companies aren't setting up clinics for paid vaccinations.  I would pay out of pocket it for it, especially if a company were to donate one dose for free distribution for my paid one.

There’s only one manufacturer of the best Mpox vaccine - Bavarian Nordic, a Danish company with neither the infrastructure nor the need to setup such clinics. They have all the business and more than they can handle selling directly to governments right now.

4 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Here in SoCal I just got an appointment for Tuesday via Long Beach Health Department.

SoCal trivia: Long Beach and Pasadena run their own health departments exclusive of the Los Angeles County Health department. 

Where is the Long Beach Health Department? Is it near the traffic circle?

"Paul Chaplin, chief executive of Bavarian Nordic, the vaccine’s manufacturer, called a senior U.S. health official and accused the Biden administration of breaching its contracts with his company by planning to use the doses in an unapproved manner. Even worse, said two people with knowledge of the episode, Chaplin threatened to cancel all future vaccine orders from the United States, throwing into doubt the administration’s entire monkeypox strategy."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/08/17/monkeypox-biden-vaccine-testing-mistakes/

On 8/17/2022 at 2:07 PM, padel412 said:

Thank you for the report. How long ago was your 2nd dose? Is there any visible marking on the skin still where you got it?

Yep. There’s a little red splotch on the skin that arose about 24 hours after the injection and a faint pink corona around that. Compared notes/photos with two others, and the reactions have all been about the same.

14 hours ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

Does anyone know if there is any problem getting the second shot less than 28 days after the first?  I may have a chance to get the 2nd shot this weekend, but I'd be cutting into the 28 days by a couple.

I've been looking online but all I find is recommendations to get them at least 28 days apart.

I read somewhere (can't recall the source) that it was acceptable to get a second after 24 days but the recommendation was to wait a full 28 days. 

20 hours ago, DapperGent said:

I don’t know, periodically new diseases are coming out, all exaggerated by the news. I’ve taken my precautions for the last 2 years and I haven’t even gotten the common flu. Is not pretend stuff isn’t happening in the world but is also not live in fear either and inform yourself from a lot of different sources to make the best decision, not jump into the wagon.

I remember there was that meningitis outbreak in 2012 among the gays on the east coast and then the west coast, and that swiftly went away. 

The ARS (French equivalent of the CDC) has guidelines stating that the first shot reaches its optimum protection after 8 to 10 days and protects for 4 months. So the 2nd shot should ideally be given within 28 days to 4 months after the first. I have no idea on what data they are basing this on. I got my first shot in France 2 weeks ago. 

7 hours ago, bencleve29 said:

I read somewhere (can't recall the source) that it was acceptable to get a second after 24 days but the recommendation was to wait a full 28 days. 

Yea, I actually just found something on the NYC vaccine site saying the same thing.  If I can get it tomorrow, it'll put me at 27 days...good enough for me.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:05 PM, JUWS said:

I got my 1st shot in NYC Saturday July 30th. The injection site has been swollen since then, 1 week. Has anyone else had any reactions with prolonged swelling, rash, pimples etc?  I have an appointment with my doc on Monday, but just wondering if anyone else experiencing anything?

I had a bit of swelling that lasted about 8 days.  It was a little tender too.  Totally worth it given the alternative.

https://fortune.com/2022/08/18/monkeypox-breakthrough-infections-vaccine-not-silver-bullet-who-world-health-organization-jynneos-smallpox/

I saw this article this morning. I wonder how common breakthrough infections occur with people already fully vaccinated against monkeypox? Is it like covid when you can still get it, but symptoms won’t be as severe? I guess only time will tell.

1 hour ago, caramelsub said:

https://fortune.com/2022/08/18/monkeypox-breakthrough-infections-vaccine-not-silver-bullet-who-world-health-organization-jynneos-smallpox/

I saw this article this morning. I wonder how common breakthrough infections occur with people already fully vaccinated against monkeypox? Is it like covid when you can still get it, but symptoms won’t be as severe? I guess only time will tell.

I find it frustrating that these articles don't say what the severity of the breakthrough cases is. Because hopefully it's like with Covid, that you can still get it, and test positive for it, but that the symptoms will be mild to non-existent. 

Edited by Wolfer

18 minutes ago, Wolfer said:

I find it frustrating that these articles don't say what the severity of the breakthrough cases is. Because hopefully it's like with Covid, that you can still get it, and test positive for it, but that the symptoms will be mild to non-existent. 

I agree. The article is virtually worthless. We’ve known from the start 
that the vaccine isn’t 100% protective. The incidence and severity
of breakthrough cases is what’s important. The fact that breakthrough
cases exist, isn’t news. 

I got my first dose this past week, it was like a family reunion…..one guy said “welcome to gay whores unanimous”….the shot clinic was very organized.  I got my shot due to working in healthcare but the questions were very invasive.  They wanted number of sex partners and positions…I should’ve directed them to my OF….  I am however very disappointed with the way the press is handling this, it’s almost like a daily blame game of the disease being a gay issue.  All for ratings…. It’s like they are no different than FOXnews.  It’s a gay issue until it jumps to the straight population.  They are practically making it sound like an STD and now that information is out there and people are being misinformed into thinking this is a gay disease.  

4 hours ago, Wolfer said:

There is no severity scale that can easily be developed, aka symptom gradient, level, what have you. Mainly because there are two basic stages.

First: prodomal (in the case of MPXV sick with symptoms other than dermatological and that could be common to other illnesses) that would require deciding on symptom count and level, perhaps duration as well.

Second: dermatological (rash, lesions, &c) where a smaller total count for somebody can be worse and more threatening due to location on body, compared to somebody else with far greater quantity of dermatological involvement but in less vulnerable locations.

If there is a randomness to where lesions occur on top of lesion quantity that factor alone defies a convincing comparison of symptom presentation between the vaccinated and not vaccinated. It appears that hospitalization alone, that might itself factor into a severity grade, is influenced by the location of lesions. 

Complicating this is the emerging trend of specific localized dermatological involvement among MSM. This adds the component of localized pain with an additional severity grade. Following that, the psychosocial  implications of pock scars, and so on.

Additionally, symptoms may respond to antiviral treatment but that attenuation may differ among individuals and according to timing of post-infection treatment introduction as well as access equity. Antiviral treatment may offset symptom severity that would have otherwise manifested.

It was much easier to devise a severity scale for COVID, with consensus among scientists, for example to integrate into clinical trials.

Edited by SirBillybob

Recent anecdotal report of post-vaxx breakthrough; partners that both got infected, likely from transmission from hook-up rather than one to the other, though viral transfer can ostensibly occur any which way in a group encounter. Symptoms consistent with MPXV/MSM profile. However, ménage-a-quatre occurred only 9 days from 2nd MVA-BN dose (presumed both full doses, neither dose spared/fractionated for either partner). Hook-up presumably not vetted for vaxx status, presumably non-protected intercourse.

If the invitee couple had similarly been vaccinated, then all bets may be off for current containment strategies. An anecdotal report is not nearly meaningful data, but fully fleshed out could potentially shed light on what info remains elusive to date. 

9B5A9975-1A1E-4E94-A2FC-C3AE0ADBFEA7.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob