Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

1 hour ago, SirBillybob said:

Recent anecdotal report of post-vaxx breakthrough; partners that both got infected, likely from transmission from hook-up rather than one to the other, though viral transfer can ostensibly occur any which way in a group encounter. Symptoms consistent with MPXV/MSM profile. However, ménage-a-quatre occurred only 9 days from 2nd MVA-BN dose (presumed both full doses, neither dose spared/fractionated for either partner). Hook-up presumably not vetted for vaxx status, presumably non-protected intercourse.

If the invitee couple had similarly been vaccinated, then all bets may be off for current containment strategies. An anecdotal report is not nearly meaningful data, but fully fleshed out could potentially shed light on what info remains elusive to date. 

9B5A9975-1A1E-4E94-A2FC-C3AE0ADBFEA7.jpeg

oh dear...

Anonymous reddit isn't exactly what I'd call a reliable source, but I agree that there's no such thing as 100% protection in this. 

I'll wait until there's published medical studies done to judge how effective this vax is. 

My advice for now is for everyone at risk to get vaccinated and to exercise good judgement.  

That and a nickle will buy you a cup of diner coffee 😄

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

1 hour ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

SNIP: Anonymous reddit isn't exactly what I'd call a reliable source, but I agree that there's no such thing as 100% protection in this.

Right, this Reddit post is certainly lacking the reporting precision one would want. In follow-up commentary the OP answers questions about usage of conventional protection during the encounter ambiguously, and thinks the other couple had received a single Jynneos dose. If condoms were used along with minimally one vaccine dose for all four participants that should really raise eyebrows.   

Edited by SirBillybob

45 minutes ago, kingsley88 said:

Not sure if I believe that reddit post. Here in the US I thought everyone just had 1 dose or 1/5 dose? Is it possible in other areas of the world to get 2 doses? I heard some places only recommended 2nd dose to those who are HIV+/immunicompromised.

It’s a two dose vaccine, four weeks apart.

15 minutes ago, caramelsub said:

It’s a two dose vaccine, four weeks apart.

Yes, and what I have read is it's 98% effective 14 days after 2nd dose! (83%  28 days after 1st dose) so seems like the Reddit post took a chance and waited only 9 days after 2nd dose to engage. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by JUWS

1 hour ago, kingsley88 said:

Not sure if I believe that reddit post. Here in the US I thought everyone just had 1 dose or 1/5 dose? Is it possible in other areas of the world to get 2 doses? I heard some places only recommended 2nd dose to those who are HIV+/immunicompromised.

There are ways to get two doses without being immunocompromised. 

I had my first vax in Toronto, while getting my second at a local agency who was offering them to anyone who came in.

Two doses remain the most effective treatment, especially if you're in a higher risk category.

45 minutes ago, JUWS said:

Yes, and what I have read is it's 98% effective 14 days after 2nd dose! (83%  28 days after 1st dose) so seems like the Reddit post took a chance and waited only 9 days after 2nd dose to engage. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, the worst case scenario among the Smallpox studies for MVA-BN 2-dose 28-day interval referenced in guidance is desired seroconversion % rate at high 60s (some studies in the 80s) at Day28 and sliding up to high 90s at Day42. For HIV poz the picture is far worse for the interim period, as low as 10% seroconverted by Day28 but then big bump up in % seroconverted by Day42. For that subgroup in particular there is a bigger climb to possible but more likely immunity following 2nd doses, suggesting the imperative of full regimen and importance of not shortchanging wait time to encounters subsequent to the 2nd dose. The Reddit OP did not indicate HIV status. 

That said, desired seroconversion rates, if you are restricted to a single dose for the time being, are better at 28 days compared to 14 days. 

The above points pertain to data for folks with no Smallpox vaccination history.

Edited by SirBillybob

Just got #1 via the Long Beach health department here in SoCal. I had a appointment, Got there about 15 minutes early, and was in and out in about 20-25 minutes including the 15 min post injection wait time.  Intradermal shot.

They said 2nd dose Will be scheduled automatically… I believe them as their email/text scheduling has worked smoothly so far.

On 8/20/2022 at 2:13 PM, caramelsub said:

This doesn’t look good. Does anyone know the statistics of monkeypox being transmitted by oral sex versus anal sex? I assume straight couples have oral sex, but they generally aren’t getting infected. So I’m wondering if having anal sex is the main culprit?

I've had over twice as much anal sex as oral sex this summer, and I still haven't caught the monkey Pox.  So my personal statistics tell me that anal ain't no worse than oral for the monkey pox.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

6 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I've had over twice as much anal sex as oral sex this summer, and I still haven't caught the monkey Pox.  So my personal statistics tell me that anal ain't no worse than oral for the monkey pox.

I believe that constitutes an insufficient sample size. You’ll have to have far more sex than that to work up a good population! 🤭

40 minutes ago, MassageAdam said:

just tried to schedule my 2nd dose of monkey pox vaccine and it keeps taking me back to COVID

That obviously sounds like an internal issue with whoever manages the site for State of California. 

Try this portal... Some of these locations allow walk up for 2nd Vax 

Public nkeypox Vaccination locations: https://tinyurl.com/PODWalkUpSchedule

Edited by Tactile Daddy
Too many repeat links

3 hours ago, FrankR said:
3 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Expand  

I believe that constitutes an insufficient sample size. You’ll have to have far more sex than that to work up a good population! 🤭

Okay, I'll accept the challenge.  It's the least I can do for science

49 minutes ago, MassageAdam said:

just tried to schedule my 2nd dose of monkey pox vaccine and it keeps taking me back to COVID even though I am selecting monkey pox.

You can try calling 

Those without access to the internet or needing help with registration, can call the Public Health Call Center at for more information on monkeypox, including general information, testing, treatment, and vaccines at (833) 540-0473. The Public Health Call Center is open 7 days a week 8am – 8:30pm. 

36 minutes ago, Tactile Daddy said:

That obviously sounds like an internal issue with whoever manages the site for State of California. 

Try this portal... Some of these locations allow walk up for 2nd Vax 

Public Monkeypox Vaccihttps://tinyurl.com/PODWalkUpScheduleation locations: https://tinyurl.com/PODWalkUpSchedulePublichttps://tinyurl.com/PODWalkUpSchedulehttps://tinyurl.com/PODWalkUpSchedule Monkeypox Vaccination locations: https://tinyurl.com/PODWalkUpSchedule

Do you know if they are they being really strict with the requirements right now? I just moved to Los Angeles, so i don't have an ID that shows my LA address. Also, i got my first shot in SF. And it says show DPH text. 

21 minutes ago, Bryan Dube said:

Do you know if they are they being really strict with the requirements right now?

I don't know what the county is doing. Some people tell me yes they are strict with requirements others no.  I got mine at the Gay Lesbian Center. 

If I were you, I would just go to your appointment or walk up clinic. I don't believe an la county address is going to be a problem 

3 minutes ago, Tactile Daddy said:

I don't know what the county is doing. Some people tell me yes they are strict with requirements others no.  I got mine at the Gay Lesbian Center. 

If I were you, I would just go to your appointment or walk up clinic. I don't believe an la county address is going to be a problem 

Got it. Thank you!