Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

19 hours ago, kingsley88 said:

A flight attendant states he thinks he caught monkeypox from a dirty hotel room or on the plane. He's currently in quarantine in a hotel room in Fort Lauderdale for 3 weeks. Thankfully his airline is paying for the costs and giving him a $50 daily grubhub credit.

I’m not so sure I’m buying it, but I’m glad he’s recovering. 

20 minutes ago, nycman said:

I’m not so sure I’m buying it, but I’m glad he’s recovering. 

More likely to have got it on the plane. Most airline personnel stay in fairly decent hotels, at least in Canada and Europe. Can't say definitively about the States.

Airplane toilets can be absolutely disgusting.

8 hours ago, Luv2play said:

More likely to have got it on the plane. Most airline personnel stay in fairly decent hotels, at least in Canada and Europe. Can't say definitively about the States.

Not according to the CDC, but L2P is always a more reliable source of public health information that the nation's public health experts, of course... 🙄

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html

45 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Not according to the CDC, but L2P is always a more reliable source of public health information that the nation's public health experts, of course... 🙄

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html

You got that right. I sounded the alarm on Monkeypox on this thread back on May 18th when the CDC was asleep at the switch.

They got around to it on May 23rd, almost a week later.

Edited by Luv2play

14 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Given majority of flight attendants are female, then I'd think more females would test positive for monkeypox if indeed he was infected in the plane.

17 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Has anyone that lives in states other than NY, CA, TX, FL been able to get the vaccine in their state?  So far in Michigan, there is little availability and what they have is being given only to people who have been exposed to MP so I would not quality.  Are people in other states finding the same issues on availability?

I got my first dose in Nevada two weeks ago.  No appointments necessary.  Second shot available four weeks after the first.

Sorry if folks here have already covered this, how do we feel about  people getting a second dose, but not telling the medical provider it's a second dose?  Where is this on the continuum of unethical behavior?  Is it SERIOUSLY unethical, because, "goddam it, there is a shortage after all", or mildly unethical, because "you're having a lot of sex I mean, why not get a second dose"?

And, if one were to do this, would it matter that the first shot, a month ago, was the SubQ dose, and the second shot would be Intraderm dose?

Edited by Rod Hagen

27 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

Sorry if folks here have already covered this, how do we feel about  people getting a second dose, but not telling the medical provider it's a second dose?  Where is this on the continuum of unethical behavior?  Is it SERIOUSLY unethical, because, "goddam it, there is a shortage after all", or mildly unethical, because "you're having a lot of sex I mean, why not get a second dose"?

And, if one were to do this, would it matter that the first shot, a month ago, was the SubQ dose, and the second shot would be Intraderm dose?

When i got my first dose they gave me a copy of my immunization record and it showed the first dose on it. It also showed my complete history of vaccinations from birth, including my covid shots. It’s a public health record. The clinic where i got mine at said i have to bring a copy of my immunization record or proof that i had my first dosage at least four weeks prior to getting the second dose. So i believe they have records of people who have gotten the first dose and are awaiting the second dose.

Edited by caramelsub

The feds have really fucked up on vaccine distribution:

The federal government’s distribution of monkeypox vaccine has been blemished by missteps and confusion, burdening local officials and slowing the pace of immunizations even as the virus spreads, according to interviews with state health officials and documents obtained by The New York Times.

Officials in at least 20 states and jurisdictions have complained about the delivery of the vaccine, called Jynneos...

Jynneos is being disbursed from the National Strategic Stockpile by a different government agency under the Department of Health and Human Services. That agency was never set up to take ongoing orders, arrange deliveries from the stockpile, track shipments or integrate with state systems.

Instead, the stockpile was designed to deliver massive amounts of vaccine to each state in response to a catastrophic event, according to a federal official with knowledge of the stockpile’s operations.

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/health/monkeypox-vaccine-distribution.html

3 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:
6 hours ago, Lucky said:

The feds have really fucked up on vaccine distribution:

Apparently not much learned from previous Covid vaccine distribution circus…at least early in the vaccine program.

Actually, the feds have done quite well.  The US and Canada were the only countries to have Jynneos vaccines ready at the beginning of this year, because these two countries placed an order for Jynneos vaccines back in 2020, which were being stored at the manufacturer in Europe.  When the Monkey Pox outbreaks started to occurr in Europe and Canada, the US and Canada were the only countries with vaccines ready. But, the vaccines needed to be shipped from the manufacturer in Europe.  The US chose to release a portion of its order to European countries who were experiencing much larger outbreaks than the US was, and wait for the rest of its order to be shipped a little later as the manufacturer ramped up production to fulfill Europe's orders which would be sent to the US in return due the US giving up some of its early supply.  The US and Canada were still the first two countries to receive the vaccines because they were more prepared than the rest of the world.

To keep this discussion from trending political...I am thankful that the "feds" and Canada were forward thinking back in 2020 on the Jynneos vaccine, regardless of who was in charge then or now.  I plan on getting my 2nd dose in two weeks!  1st and 2nd doses are available for walk-ins in Las Vegas, no identification required, to both men and women.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982
Replaced "monkey pox vaccine" with "Jynneos vaccine", because the vaccine was developed for smallpox

51 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Actually, the feds have done quite well.  The US and Canada were the only countries to have Jynneos vaccines ready at the beginning of this year, because these two countries placed an order for Jynneos vaccines back in 2020, which were being stored at the manufacturer in Europe.  When the Monkey Pox outbreaks started to occurr in Europe and Canada, the US and Canada were the only countries with vaccines ready. But, the vaccines needed to be shipped from the manufacturer in Europe.  The US chose to release a portion of its order to European countries who were experiencing much larger outbreaks than the US was, and wait for the rest of its order to be shipped a little later as the manufacturer ramped up production to fulfill Europe's orders which would be sent to the US in return due the US giving up some of its early supply.  The US and Canada were still the first two countries to receive the vaccines because they were more prepared than the rest of the world.

To keep this discussion from trending political...I am thankful that the "feds" and Canada were forward thinking back in 2020 on the Jynneos vaccine, regardless of who was in charge then or now.  I plan on getting my 2nd dose in two weeks!  1st and 2nd doses are available for walk-ins in Las Vegas, no identification required, to both men and women.

Finally a facts based comment. As opposed to the emotional pearl clutching I'm use to seeing on here. 

Bravo 👏 

10 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Well from a boots on the ground perspective the feds and local health authorities didn’t do very well. When I started hearing about MP I started looking into the vax. I mentioned it to my regular sexual partner and we decided to try to both get appointments for the vax. No dice (in nyc).  As there were only 35 reported cases in nyc at the time I thought “no big deal.”  I thought to myself ‘if it’s only 35 cases in all of nyc it’s like the lottery—what are the odds of getting it.’  A week later (after he and I had sex) he tells me he has MP!  I couldn’t believe it and he was worried about my health status (as was I of course).  Then I find out the numbers are low because NYC can do only something like 10 tests a day to confirm MP and the others are told they have presumptive illness and just go home and isolate but they aren’t officially reported. Then I start hearing of friend after friend getting MP. Nowhere in NYC to get the vax and I’m scared to death. So I head to Canada for the vax where it’s effortless to get it despite zero availability at the time in nyc. 

So when I hear or read this kind of congratulatory prose on how great the USA did I get a bit angry because it sure wasn’t my experience and I think Canada did a lot better. I told my friend who got Ill that If I knew then what I know now I’d have just bought us both plane tix that day to Canada for the vax then and there. But I went by the government numbers which, it turns out, were grossly misleading by a factor of what—50? And the sad result was he got really really sick and was in terrible pain and I had a very close call. All of which could have been avoided. 

Edited by LookingAround

11 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Can you site your source for this? I’m not saying it’s wrong but it 
doesn’t match the reality that most of us experienced. It sounds 
very much like an "official US government" spin on the facts.

I honestly would appreciate being educated if I’m wrong, but it seems 
like the arrival and release of the vaccine was severely delayed because
of a flat footed and completely uncoordinated response by the FDA, the
CDC and the US Department of Health and Human Services. Quite frankly,
it’s a been public health and public relations disaster. 

Edited by nycman

Three months out you start forgetting the sequence of events in detail but as I recall, in the early days governments were reluctant to reveal how much smallpox vaccine they had on hand ready to be distributed. Canada and the US both depended on the Danish company to supply the vaccine and it had closed down new production so countries could just rely on what they had already ordered and had set aside for them.

Canada had sufficient supplies that they quickly made available in the hot spots of Montreal and then Toronto. The provincial authorities then made the vaccine available to all comers, including foreigners who by early June were taking advantage of the offered vaccine 

The US took 3 weeks as I recall to start the process of getting the vaccine from Denmark. It was precious time squandered. So I don't think kudos are in order for the US response. 

So let me see if I have this right.  You expect a niche vaccine, to a non fatal disease, to be available to anyone who wants it at a moment's notice?  🤔

You need to seriously reconsider your expectations.  But to make you feel better, here is a picture of Chris Evans. (Though I suspect whining and complaining makes folks feel better too.)

1167305772_Screenshot_20220816-083729_SamsungInternet.jpg.abb6f79c84d512465c4e7a81dcb7f5ff.jpg

44 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

So let me see if I have this right.  You expect a niche vaccine, to a non fatal disease, to be available to anyone who wants it at a moment's notice?  🤔

You need to seriously reconsider your expectations.  But to make you feel better, here is a picture of Chris Evans. (Though I suspect whining and complaining makes folks feel better too.)

1167305772_Screenshot_20220816-083729_SamsungInternet.jpg.abb6f79c84d512465c4e7a81dcb7f5ff.jpg

This simplifies the vaccine in question. It was developed to counter the threat of smallpox, which was seen as chiefly a bioterrorist threat in today's context. It had the side benefit of being able to ward off Monkeypox which was mostly a scourge in Africa.

Monkeypox, while less virulent than smallpox, still kills in Africa and could kill a few unlucky individuals in Europe and North America. 

And yes, when vaccines are available to ward off an epidemic, we expect our public health authorities to make it available quickly to meet a threat to public health. It's like having insurance when you need it. That's what governments should be good at doing. But they need to be supported by a public that sees its own interests and is willing to pay for them.

10 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

This simplifies the vaccine in question. It was developed to counter the threat of smallpox, which was seen as chiefly a bioterrorist threat in today's context. It had the side benefit of being able to ward off Monkeypox which was mostly a scourge in Africa.

Monkeypox, while less virulent than smallpox, still kills in Africa and could kill a few unlucky individuals in Europe and North America. 

And yes, when vaccines are available to ward off an epidemic, we expect our public health authorities to make it available quickly to meet a threat to public health. It's like having insurance when you need it. That's what governments should be good at doing. But they need to be supported by a public that sees its own interests and is willing to pay for them.

Smallpox is a different topic. The USA has a large stockpile of smallpox vaccine available. That stockpile can be released on short notice in case of a bio attack - that is the "insurance" you are looking for. The smallpox vaccine in stockpile is not suitable for those with a compromised immune system (like gay/bi men with HIV).  Which is why it was not released to combat the monkeypox outbreak which impacted gay/bi men for the most part. 

To date nobody in the USA has died from monkeypox.