Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

Early surveillance study suggesting asymptomatic Monkeypox infection is possible from acquisition through to clearance. Potential for viral shedding and transmission remains unknown. Proportion of asymptomatic cases relative to total cases remains unknown. A similar study, but adding throat swabs, is commencing at Montreal sexual health clinics. 

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M22-2183

The small USA Jynneos dosing study should be up and running very soon. Summarized in link. It’s not recruiting yet but I’ll post the contact information for sites when added, IF that is the recruitment strategy aimed at the general public. It usually is, unless each location recruits within jurisdictions and in any case they should have no problem quickly filling up available spots due to location population density and motivation for two doses.

I also attach a screen shot of the planned locations. A bit cut off on the right margin but you can open it in the link as well, Contacts/Locations.

It is an immunogenicity study and may be also of interest to adults of any gender or sexual orientation that would likely not otherwise qualify for Jynneos in the near future but wish to contribute to the science agenda. 

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05512949?recrs=ab&cond=Monkey+Pox&draw=2&rank=5#contacts

E6AD04E7-C3E7-4F57-8591-F0F4F29E6C5D.png

Edited by SirBillybob

14 minutes ago, gaothanear said:

Of course its going to get disseminated by the gay community first, like HIV.

I read that the mortality in an earlier comment was about 1%

If that's really the case its even worse than Covid

Yea, cuz forums like this have all the correct answers.  It's 0% from the US gov.

2022-Outbreak-Cases-Data-Monkeypox-Poxvirus-CDC.png

Edited by Jim_n_NYC

"No, there haven’t been any monkeypox deaths reported yet in the U.S." - www.verifythis.com

Aug. 12, 2022 – "So far, no monkeypox deaths have been reported in the U.S." - WebMD

"As of August 4, there have been 26,864 confirmed cases of monkeypox worldwide.
Of those, there have been 10 confirmed deaths in Spain, Brazil, India, Ghana, and Nigeria.
There are 7,102 monkeypox cases in the US and so far no one has died on American soil from it." - Insider.com

No US deaths and 10 worldwide.  Those 10 could have had other contributing factors as well...no way to know.

Oh, forgot to add.  Those 10 are 0.03% mortality rate.  Not even CLOSE to 1%.  Though, for me that sample size is too small...I don't think a larger size would change the factor by 33x.

Edited by Jim_n_NYC

The WHO reported today that globally the number of Monkeypox cases is declining. But not everywhere and in some locales is increasing. The US has the highest number of reported cases. Canada and some others have significant number of cases given population. 

I think it was SirBillyBob who reported here that cases in Canada are now declining. I spoke with a provider today in Montreal about getting together next month and he has cut way back as I have on dates. I've been with him 4 times over the last 6 months. A month from now we'll see how things are. It's nice to have a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how tentative it is. 

On 8/2/2022 at 6:09 PM, spidir said:

In Seattle, WA:

1. Vaccination is prioritized for people who meet both criteria:
    • Gay, bisexual, or other men or transgender people who have sex with men AND
    • At least one of the following:
      • More than 10 sex partners in the prior 3 months
      • History of early syphilis or gonorrhea in the prior year
      • Methamphetamine use in the prior month
      • Attendance at a bathhouse, other public sex venue, or group sex (sex including at least 3 people at the same time) in the prior 3 months
      • Experiencing homelessness/unstable housing AND currently living in a congregate setting AND had any sexual activity in the prior 3 months.

People who are high risk close contacts of people diagnosed for monkeypox are also prioritized for vaccine

Happy to see greater accessibility and availability for the vaccine. I got my first dose today.

13 minutes ago, TooSchoolForCool said:

I got my first shot last Sunday in my forearm.  7 days later it's still bright red, itchy and sore as hell.  Normal right?!?!?!?!  🥴

Yup! My injection site was swollen purplish red for over 2 weeks and I also had 1 large pimple and what looked like a boil, but both went away after 2 -3 days. Saw my ID doc and he said was definitely reaction, not to worry.

48 minutes ago, TooSchoolForCool said:

I got my first shot last Sunday in my forearm.  7 days later it's still bright red, itchy and sore as hell.  Normal right?!?!?!?!  🥴

Just curious. Since they gave it into your forearm,
it sounds like you got the intradermal shot. Is that 
correct?

And yes, I would assume what you’re seeing is just
your immune response to the vaccine.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:49 AM, rustyrex said:

I got my first dose this past week, it was like a family reunion…..one guy said “welcome to gay whores unanimous”….the shot clinic was very organized.  I got my shot due to working in healthcare but the questions were very invasive.  They wanted number of sex partners and positions…I should’ve directed them to my OF….  I am however very disappointed with the way the press is handling this, it’s almost like a daily blame game of the disease being a gay issue.  All for ratings…. It’s like they are no different than FOXnews.  It’s a gay issue until it jumps to the straight population.  They are practically making it sound like an STD and now that information is out there and people are being misinformed into thinking this is a gay disease.  

It is a gay issue and will never really jump into the larger population. Semen is the main factor for transmission moreso than more skin to skin contact. It's no mystery why it exploded after the pride month. Even if we have relations with a few closeted bisexual/do it still wouldn't be enough to become a full blown pandemic. Everyone is laughing at us.

11 hours ago, nycman said:

Just curious. Since they gave it into your forearm,
it sounds like you got the intradermal shot. Is that 
correct?

And yes, I would assume what you’re seeing is just
your immune response to the vaccine.

Correct!  The nurse said they are able to get several additional doses by administering it this way.  And thanks for the response!!

The case count for Los Angeles County may be good news if the cases are now declining but still a high number of people who have had the disease. The population there is roughly the same as the province where I live, Ontario, and the cases here are substantially lower ( around 1100 I last read). The cases are going down here too but not being reported on a regular basis now.

Looks like NYC is trending in the right direction as well:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/data/health-tools/monkeypox.page#surveillance

Interestingly 144 of those cases identified as "straight". 
I would love to see more information on those patients in particular. 

Meanwhile, (if I’m reading the graph correctly) it looks like the rest of 
New York State has on had one new case reported since Aug 10th:

https://health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/zoonoses/monkeypox/docs/demographic_data.pdf

We’re making progress!

17 hours ago, Vulgarii said:

Semen is the main factor for transmission moreso than more skin to skin contact.

Please sight your source.
You seem to have a bad habit of making wild claims without any data to back you up. 

18 hours ago, Vulgarii said:

I'm not going to get vaxxed for covid nor for monkeypox. If I need the cash then I'll just lie.

Not to mention a profound lack of both morals and ethics. 

On 8/21/2022 at 11:18 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

There are ways to get two doses without being immunocompromised. 

I had my first vax in Toronto, while getting my second at a local agency who was offering them to anyone who came in.

Two doses remain the most effective treatment, especially if you're in a higher risk category.

I did something similar.  Got my first in Montreal and the second in Toronto.  I was lucky to be able to do this and realize not everyone can.

What’s crazy is that LA County has given out 70,000+ shots of the vaccine however Orange County (where I live) has only given out 2,900 total shots. LA County sites won’t give me the vaccine because I don’t live in the County but they have tons more supply and I travel into the county for going out/work/ etc. If you live in OC (or San Diego for that matter) we’re all just waiting for more vaccine to become available. 

B5510592-251A-429F-A172-1E25719215F2.jpeg