Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

7 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Has anyone heard of the possibility of second doses being offered anywhere in Canada yet?

I follow it very closely. No, not yet. Possibly not at all. It will hinge on new case incidence trends, that seem to be dropping to about 1 case daily in 25,000 per capita wherein the denominator is adjusted to reflect the susceptible subpopulation. Additionally, the majority of MSM has not yet received an initial dose, likely mostly by choice and assessed risk factors. Another obviously relevant variable is current residual vaccine stock and anticipated future supply. 

Edited by SirBillybob

Bavarian Nordic has finally elaborately written up their old studies for Smallpox. A lot to unpack but corroborates my view of not needing to rush to get the 2nd MVA-BN dose. Let me put my situation this way: 

‪So my 1st Imvamune dose is a *booster dose post childhood Vaccinia & noninferior to 2 current doses for Vaccinia-naïve even up to 2 yrs, but a 2-year ^booster for the latter group then supersedes the former. The 2nd *booster for Vaccinia-experienced in childhood seems superfluous for now; can defer to an undefined date.‬ The question, then, is when should we older guys pursue uptake of a 2nd *booster in order to more closely equivalize the titres conferred by a ^booster at 2.5 years (6 months past ^booster for the younger group), of course given unknowns about the correlation between immunity parameters and protection as well as crossover to Monkeypox immunity. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.09.07.22279689v1.full.pdf

Edited by SirBillybob

8 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

Bavarian Nordic has finally elaborately written up their old studies for Smallpox. A lot to unpack but corroborates my view of not needing to rush to get the 2nd MVA-BN dose. Let me put my situation this way: 

‪So my 1st Imvamune dose is a *booster dose post childhood Vaccinia & noninferior to 2 current doses for Vaccinia-naïve even up to 2 yrs, but a 2-year ^booster for the latter group then supersedes the former. The 2nd *booster for Vaccinia-experienced in childhood seems superfluous for now; can defer to an undefined date.‬ The question, then, is when should we older guys pursue uptake of a 2nd *booster in order to more closely equivalize the titres conferred by a ^booster at 2.5 years (6 months past ^booster for the younger group), of course given unknowns about the correlation between immunity parameters and protection as well as crossover to Monkeypox immunity. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.09.07.22279689v1.full.pdf

You think too much. 

Get the second shot as soon as you can (4 weeks after your first). 

I agree, no rush in those who got the smallpox vaccine years ago….but why wait?

The NY Times recently referred to Palm Springs as the gayest city in the country. Yet trying to find a Mpox vaccine is impossible except for low income residents. I have been on a list for a few weeks not and not a peep from the health authorities.

I was able to get my second shot in France. I went there because supplies in Belgium are very limited and in France there's more vaccines than there is demand. France made it clear anyone from Belgium was welcome. I popped over the border with a friend a month ago for the first shot and now again for the second. 

They were setup like a Covid vaccine center with a lot of staff... But only three people showed up for the vaccination that day. For some reason guys are going less and less for the vaccine (as far as I can tell). 

Belgium has also started the intradermal method they're doing in the USA now. My shots were intramuscular. 

7 hours ago, nycman said:

You think too much. 

Get the second shot as soon as you can (4 weeks after your first). 

I agree, no rush in those who got the smallpox vaccine years ago….but why wait?

There are peers here wondering about a second booster, same situation as me.

The Canadian guidelines do not recommend a second MVA-BN dose for most of us, that is, a boost dose single-figure weeks following prime for previously VARV unvaccinated or 2 consecutive boosters with a single-figure weeks interval for VARV-vaccinated decades ago. Moreover, the lack of access to a second dose is not attributable to vaccine supply chain; the guidance reflects best practices.

That said, unrelated to stockpile or just-in-case imminent replenishing, I could neither get a second booster dose 8 weeks ago nor today if I wanted to. 

If you want to throw down, you could always challenge Canada’s immunization science table.  But you would need to present detail that suggests you think just the right amount, not too much or too little. 
—————

For anybody here that accessed a 2nd MVA-BN dose, it is not ill-advised or contraindicated. My concerns about not accessing a second booster dose were minimal and further assuaged by Bavarian’s current publication of immunogenicity data that had already partially existed in the public domain. We now have a few sources of research that point to the residual protective benefit of the VARV vaccination that eliminated Smallpox. 

Edited by SirBillybob

6 hours ago, Lucky said:

The NY Times recently referred to Palm Springs as the gayest city in the country. Yet trying to find a Mpox vaccine is impossible except for low income residents. I have been on a list for a few weeks not and not a peep from the health authorities.

The paltry supply issued to Riverside County is disturbing, especially for those that want to be on the safe side in spite of substantial decline in case incidence in California, in which the Riverside case share is 5% (not depicted). 

9731EFE1-EF96-4EC9-B012-0B1C9363AD31.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

You need to get out more and have sex with lots of men so you can get a higher priority.😉 

just got my second mpox vax this afternoon at the well-organized county health department.....their email notice said they have plenty and they're offering weekly vax events thru September, no appointment necessary......my first was the 0.5mL early last month and today's was the 0.1mL....intradermally, I guess.....the jabber showed me the red bump from her second vax she received a couple weeks ago.......my jab was on the inside side of my arm just below the elbow......

19 hours ago, Wolfer said:

I was able to get my second shot in France. I went there because supplies in Belgium are very limited and in France there's more vaccines than there is demand. France made it clear anyone from Belgium was welcome. I popped over the border with a friend a month ago for the first shot and now again for the second. 

They were setup like a Covid vaccine center with a lot of staff... But only three people showed up for the vaccination that day. For some reason guys are going less and less for the vaccine (as far as I can tell). 

Belgium has also started the intradermal method they're doing in the USA now. My shots were intramuscular. 

So did you go to Lille (Rijsel)?

12 minutes ago, RyanDean said:

@Luv2play the 1/5th dose is the one done under the skin (intradermal).

Yeah I know. I meant intra muscular. I had the shot on the underside of my upper arm into the muscle, the full dose. Don't know when I get my second but I had 2 smallpox vaxes as a child and youth so this was a booster.