Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

On 8/30/2022 at 6:46 PM, EZEtoGRU said:

Adult man with MP in Houston TX has died.  He did have other ailments as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/30/texas-reports-what-may-be-the-first-us-death-from-monkeypox.html

Looks like another potential US death of someone with MonkeyPox.  This time in California.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/second-possible-u-death-monkeypox-063319028.html

On 9/12/2022 at 8:16 AM, EZEtoGRU said:

Looks like another potential US death of someone with MonkeyPox.  This time in California.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/second-possible-u-death-monkeypox-063319028.html

Well, not to panic everyone--the death was of someone who chose not to treat his HIV. If I let my HIV go wild, I'd be a little more careful. But I suppose this man was not one of the most careful people around....

what me worry Mad Magazine alfred neuman T Shirt" Poster for Sale by  UnlimitedTees | Redbubble

4 hours ago, goodguynyc said:

Instead of waiting until 4pm, I tried logging on early and was able just now to get a same day appointment in Manhattan.  My guess is there has been a slowdown in people interested in a a first dose and plenty of others who have been waiting for a second dose.

Cool! Most likely someone cancelled and you were at right place at the right time haha! That's great! I was able to get my appointment quickly online at 4:05pm, shot #2 Sunday morning!

5 hours ago, arnemgreeves said:

Call this ignorant, but is there a point in a vaccine?

It's not likeCOVID. it's not a flu. It's mainly spread by physical contact, and in theory is spread as much by straight as much as gay sex.

And the symptoms from what can be seen as mild. It's like an adult version of chicken pox. It doesn't even lead to bad scarring, necessarily.

If a person is healthy, it will be a pain in the arse for a few weeks, but after that one is OK. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/monkeypox/

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/monkeypox

Monkeypox should not be downplayed in its seriousness. It is a nasty disease and inflicts pain and suffering for weeks, including psychological harm. Scarring can occur afterwards and, on the face, is not a pleasant thing to have for the rest of your life.

Here in Ontario there have been 656 confirmed cases since the outbreak in late May with19 hospitalized and 2 in intensive care. Most cases have been in Toronto in men in their 30's but ranging from 20 to 74.  In larger cities like New York there have been several thousand cases.

The good news is that over 32 thousand people in Ontario have been vaccinated and cases peaked in July with 15 to 18 cases a day down this week to only 1 a day. Vaccinations and changed behavior account for this. These stats were reported this week by Ontario's chief medical officer of health.

8 hours ago, arnemgreeves said:

It's not likeCOVID. it's not a flu. It's mainly spread by physical contact, and in theory is spread as much by straight as much as gay sex.

And the symptoms from what can be seen as mild. It's like an adult version of chicken pox. It doesn't even lead to bad scarring, necessarily.

If a person is healthy, it will be a pain in the arse for a few weeks, but after that one is OK. 

???? Did you bother to read the reference in your link? 

The first symptoms of monkeypox include:

• a high temperature
  • a headache
  • muscle aches
  • backache
  • swollen glands
  • shivering (chills)
  • exhaustion
  • joint pain

A rash usually appears 1 to 5 days after the first symptoms. The rash often begins on the face, then spreads to other parts of the body. This can include the mouth, genitals and anus.

You may also have anal pain or bleeding from your bottom.

The rash is usually extremely painful, including in areas with massive numbers of pain fibers, such as the anus. Although neither my partner nor I play around, we're often (he more than I) at crowded parties, bars, and discos, some with "underwear parties," so we both got our first shots recently. I probably have some immunity as most people over 50 got vaccinated by the essentially similar smallpox vaccine. I've only seen people on TV with the virus, but this is not something to poo-poo. "Mild" symptoms? Yes, I will take your suggestion and call your posting ignorant. Hopefully it doesn't discourage people from getting vaccinated. (Fun fact, the word "vaccine" comes from the Latin "vacca" or cow from the original immunization, which was Jenner's smallpox vaccine made from the cowpox virus)

32 minutes ago, arnemgreeves said:

The same links I posted said the symptoms are mild. In the grand scheme of all medical symptoms a headache or rash are mild. Don’t  need to be a doctor to know that. Maybe read the links and learn lol.

Dude. Have you seen interviews or talked to someone who's had this? It's not "just a rash." It's very painful and can last weeks. It's only mild in the sense that it rarely puts people in the hospital but, trust me, you don't want to get this.

I managed to get my first monkeypox vaccine yesterday, and it was all the way out in Pomona (I live in OC so 45 minutes drive). A small red bump but the technician administering my shot commented she was amazed that the fluid she injected into my skin sank and dispersed so quickly. I learned two things:

1. Othena's website wasn't helpful at all. Each time it said a slot was available, when I tried to get to the appointment page, the icon for the page load kept running and running until I gave up (I left it running for 8 hours while i was working at home!). The only way I managed to score an appointment was the government website MyTurn in five minutes.

2. Apparently, I cannot take any other vaccinations until four weeks after my second monekypox vaccine. They aren't sure how it would react with other vaccinations and the clinic warned me that they had one patient who did the monkeypox vaccine and then two other vaccines for hepatitis. He got so weak and sick that he had trouble getting back to the clinic where they had to direct him to an urgent care clinic to deal with his fever and fatigue. So they told me after four weeks after my second monkeypox vaccine, I can get the COVID booster and the flu shot together at the same time. Until then, nothing else for the next two months.

Stay safe everyone. 

8 minutes ago, nate_sf said:

Went to SF General today to get my second dose. It was walk-in, but there was no line at all. I also got my Covid booster at the same time. In and out in less than half an hour.

Let me know if you suffer any side effects from getting both at the same time; I was warned not to and to wait four weeks after the second one.

Shortly after I booked my second mpx shot, I was invited -- and strongly encouraged -- by the health advocacy organization running the vaccination clinic to book my covid booster for the same time. So I am slated to get both shots on Tuesday. (I've been warned against doing the flu shot at the same time as the covid booster, but have heard no such warnings about combining mpx#2 with the bivalent booster.)

On 9/17/2022 at 7:00 AM, arnemgreeves said:

Some cases are very painful and quarantine can last up to a month.  Yes, some cases are mild but I'm not going to take that gamble.

18 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Dude. Have you seen interviews or talked to someone who's had this? It's not "just a rash." It's very painful and can last weeks. It's only mild in the sense that it rarely puts people in the hospital but, trust me, you don't want to get this.

My mother had the chicken pox as an adult in the late 20th century.   (She was never exposed to it as a child).  While "mild" in the sense that there was no hospitalization or complications, it was very painful and lasted for weeks.  It was 10x worse than the symptoms of a child with chicken pox.  It actually looked much worse than these videos of monkeypox.

Now there is a chicken pox vaccine.  My initial reaction to hearing about the chicken pox vaccine was similar to @arnemgreeves "why are we vaccinating against a mild illness".  But witnessing the pain in "mild" adult chicken pox, and with little chance of catching chicken pox as a child nowadays due to public vaccinations, I would probably have my theoretical child vaccinated against chicken pox.

I personally got my first monkeypox vaccine full dose in early July, but declined the 2nd dose because it was only offered in the forearm beneath the skin which has an increase risk of Keloid scars.  When the FDA emergency order is lifted and they start offering full 2nd doses, then I will go get a 2nd dose.  I don't want this mild disease if it's anything like adult chicken pox, but I agree it is indeed mild compared to the likes of polio where there are serious and permanent health complications.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982
Added reference to Keloid scars, which can affect any one, regardless of ethnicity.

1 hour ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

But declined the 2nd dose because it was only offered in the forearm beneath the skin which has an increase risk of scaring in people of color.  When the FDA emergency order is lifted and they start offering full 2nd doses, then I will go get a 2nd dose.  I don't want this mild disease if it's anything like adult chicken pox, but I agree it is indeed mild compared to the likes of polio where there are serious and permanent health complications.

What scar?

I got my second dose as intradermal and I am a person of color (south east asian) and I only had the red spot for a few days thats it. No scar left behind.

9 minutes ago, menaughty said:

What scar?

I got my second dose as intradermal and I am a person of color (south east asian) and I only had the red spot for a few days thats it. No scar left behind.

People with a history of Keloid scars are advised to not get intradermal injections, but instead opt for subcutaneous injection.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/monkeypox/jynneos-intradermal-vaccination.pdf#:~:text=Because of concern that intradermal injections could result,have had keloid scars be given JYNNEOS subcutaneously.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

12 hours ago, RyanDean said:

Shortly after I booked my second mpx shot, I was invited -- and strongly encouraged -- by the health advocacy organization running the vaccination clinic to book my covid booster for the same time. So I am slated to get both shots on Tuesday. (I've been warned against doing the flu shot at the same time as the covid booster, but have heard no such warnings about combining mpx#2 with the bivalent booster.)

All of this conflicting information is confusing. Yesterday I received my second dose and was told NOT to get my Covid booster for at least 4 weeks following my 2nd mpx shot. They even had a sign saying so. Going to consult my doctor and see, as I planned to get the Covid booster and flu shot simultaneously.

2 hours ago, NYSlim said:

All of this conflicting information is confusing. Yesterday I received my second dose and was told NOT to get my Covid booster for at least 4 weeks following my 2nd mpx shot. They even had a sign saying so. Going to consult my doctor and see, as I planned to get the Covid booster and flu shot simultaneously.

My pharmacist stated as long as I didn't have any heart conditions it looked like it was ok to give my covid 2 weeks after the 2nd monkeypox, but she said this is all really too new to really know anything.  

On 9/17/2022 at 7:00 AM, arnemgreeves said:

OK.  Ignorant.

From your own link:  

"the skin eruption usually begins within 1–3 days of appearance of fever. The rash tends to be more concentrated on the face and extremities rather than on the trunk. It affects the face (in 95% of cases), and palms of the hands and soles of the feet (in 75% of cases). Also affected are oral mucous membranes (in 70% of cases), genitalia (30%), and conjunctivae (20%), as well as the cornea. The rash evolves sequentially from macules (lesions with a flat base) to papules (slightly raised firm lesions), vesicles (lesions filled with clear fluid), pustules (lesions filled with yellowish fluid), and crusts which dry up and fall off. The number of lesions varies from a few to several thousand. In severe cases, lesions can coalesce until large sections of skin slough off."

For God's sake, why wouldn't you want to prevent that if you could???  Please get in touch after all your lesions have coalesced and sloughed off.  

5 hours ago, arnemgreeves said:

Yet the same links i posted said it was a usually mild condition. The severities are mostly in the immocompromised or the very young/old. 

You've just highlighted some points that aren't even that severe. "the links" i posted also said that the spots do drop off and can lead to discolouration and in some cases keloid scars. But these are a minority of cases. I'm not saying it's not a thing to worry about. I'm saying a need for mass vaccination seems excessive, when it's not really a life-threatening disease or that delibitating in the long run bar extreme cases. Basic epidemiology, well basic practicing medicine, is that the most resources go towards the most urgent cases affecting the majority of people. Hence mass COVID vaccinations or vaccinations for toddlers and school kids. I don't doubt at all that it's not pleasant to suffer from, though there must be worse conditions. If a person has tennis elbow, that's a bitch too, but it's not as bad as a broken arm. 

As there’s no better way to prove your point than to be “living proof”…. I strongly suggest that you make sure to have some good, bareback sex with as many partners as possible (in a highly populated city, to increase the possibility of contracting the virus). 

Once you catch it, you can share more of an accurate take of what it’s like to have Monkeypox and go through the process of recovery. 

33 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

Once you catch it, you can share more of an accurate take of what it’s like to have Monkeypox and go through the process of recovery. 

Although I personally managed to escape it so far, I have seen it  "up close and personal"
several times. Believe me, none of those people would have classified their illness as "minor". 

”But did you die?" is a cute but ham handed way of assessing the severity of a disease. 

On 9/18/2022 at 2:38 PM, m_writer said:

Let me know if you suffer any side effects from getting both at the same time; I was warned not to and to wait four weeks after the second one.

No side effects to speak of, other than a bit of soreness in my arm from where the covid shot went in, and a bit of redness where the mpx shot went in.

I had not planned to have both at the same time, but when I signed up for the mpx shot they asked if I also wanted the covid booster. I asked them if it was OK to do both at the same time, and they said yes. But they said don't do them at the same time as the flu shot.