Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

14 hours ago, spidir said:

It was mid July when my favorite guy warned me about Monkeypox and I have been monitoring the exponential community spread ever since. My health care provider is unable to provide the Jynneos vaccine because of the short supply. in the meantime I'm taking a pause until vaccinated.

Hopefully you are aware of this, but if not I just want to point out that I wouldn’t be waiting for or expecting your regular “health care provider” to be able to provide you with the shot anytime in the near-mid future, unless that provider is at a gay health care center or STI clinic. For the most part they are only being distributed via government public health authorities or in some cases at LGBT health centers. 

For all wondering about protection with 1 dose vs 2 doses, here’s what I came across: 

image.thumb.jpeg.c16e8817a8cf06c8ff525fe4cab3e260.jpeg
As has been remarked upthread - it’s seems that no one is actually 100% sure on protection rates at this point. 

I have my first shot this evening, but here in NY, they aren’t even offering 2nd doses yet. I know, and have heard of some gents starting to freak out a bit as they’re approaching their 30 day mark in the next week. Can’t say I blame them as it seems the effectiveness of the single dose drops after day 28 without getting the 2nd dose. 

I know it’s frustrating to see, hear other states  handling the vaccine rollout, and scheduling better - but that’s how it works in this federal republic of ours. I found out MA was scheduling recipients for their 2nd dose when they’re getting their 1st dose. Here in NYC, nothing like that - you can’t even try to schedule a 2nd dose yet. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Stay safe, gents! 
BBD 

11 minutes ago, BtmBearDad said:

know it’s frustrating to see, hear other states  handling the vaccine rollout, and scheduling better - but that’s how it works in this federal republic of ours.

If the Federal government had given equal doses per capita to every state, no doubt the roll out would still seem frustrating 😤 

There were limited doses available and quite honestly I don't understand where the problem or the frustration comes in pumping the brakes on our hedonistic pursuits for a bit until such time that vaccine deployment hits critical mass. After all we all have practice in the past two years, unless everything went underground then we're talking about plain and simple hypocrisy. 

First dose under the belt 💉👍🏻

Took all of 21 minutes from arriving to leaving, including the time they have you sit after. Got an e-mail confirmation as she was putting on the band-aid with lot number, and info about how the 2nd dose will be scheduled: 

image.thumb.jpeg.3e925104a71ebeda8fc906be33cb2a94.jpeg
Guess I’ll hear something the end of the month about when, and where I’ll get my second dose 🤞🏻

I think it's worthwhile to note that even in the Great White North. Supplies of the Monkeypox vaccine are limited and in order to make supplies stretch they are currently limiting doses to one in order to get some antibodies building in the at risk populations. Furthermore outside the large cities, obtaining the vaccine is proving problematic and unavailable in many less populated provinces and smaller towns. 

Seems to me that a one size fits all approach, even in Canada 🍁 is not always easy when faced with the same limited supplies that the USA has to deal with. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/monkeypox-vaccine-supply-1.6528008#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16593120861999&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbc.ca%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fmonkeypox-vaccine-supply-1.6528008

from yesterday's Washington Post:

Federal officials this week touted the arrival of hundreds of thousands of additional monkeypox vaccine doses, heralding it as a milestone in the nation’s fight against the outbreak. What they left out: The United States is entering a critical three-month period where cases may continue to multiply, but no more vaccines are scheduled to arrive until October at the earliest.

Even with the latest shipments, there are only enough vials of the two-dose Jynneos vaccine to cover about a third of the estimated 1.6 million gay and bisexual men who officials consider at highest risk and who are being urged to get the shots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/07/30/monkeypox-jynneos-vaccine-supply-united-states/

It's interesting to see guys mentioning in their ads that they are now vaxed for Monkey Pox here in NYC.  While I can see that they may have had one shot, I don't see how they can be fully vaxed here if the city is only giving first shots so far.  Unless, though I doubt, they were able to get the one shot vax.

1 hour ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

It's interesting to see guys mentioning in their ads that they are now vaxed for Monkey Pox here in NYC.  While I can see that they may have had one shot, I don't see how they can be fully vaxed here if the city is only giving first shots so far.  Unless, though I doubt, they were able to get the one shot vax.

An initial vax gives you a fair amount of protection and ultimately, it's better than nothing at all.

We do what we can as it's made available.  Perhaps they're not 'fully' vaxed, but they're definitely on the way there.

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/key-facts-about-monkeypox-vaccine

7 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

An initial vax gives you a fair amount of protection and ultimately, it's better than nothing at all.

We do what we can as it's made available.  Perhaps they're not 'fully' vaxed, but they're definitely on the way there.

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/key-facts-about-monkeypox-vaccine

Agreed, but if they've only had one of two shots, I think it'd be better to say that instead of the generic "Vaxxed against Monkey Pox" which I would take implies being fully protected...pretty difficult in NYC atm.  Since only having one is not as protective as being 2 weeks after the second shot, I think any potential client deserves to know that.

51 minutes ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

Agreed, but if they've only had one of two shots, I think it'd be better to say that instead of the generic "Vaxxed against Monkey Pox" which I would take implies being fully protected...pretty difficult in NYC atm.  Since only having one is not as protective as being 2 weeks after the second shot, I think any potential client deserves to know that.

Of course this suggests the imperative of education of both sides of the transaction about the reality of possible differences between prime-dose and boost-dose immunity AND reciprocal candor of both players regarding dosing quantity and temporal history.

It would also be up to both sides to determine risk tolerance for scenarios in which clients with Smallpox vacccination background, likely a sizeable consumer majority, have had one recent MVA-BN dose. There is little immunogenic difference between 1 and 2 doses over several months in terms of protection against Smallpox. For Monkeypox the risk assessment according to protection extrapolated from Smallpox protection will be ‘to each his own’. My sense is that regional Monkeypox incidence differences override any effectiveness differences specific to the two Orthopox varieties, assuming of course less than 100% efficacy. Anticipated (so far none explicitly reported) vaccination  breakthrough infections can potentially be greater in number in high incidence regions in spite of higher vaccination uptake. 

Group MM is 2 doses with 4-week interval; Group PM is placebo for 1st dose followed by single MVA-BN dose at 4-weeks. 

E9379D48-0C0B-4EB1-A183-A8150E421485.jpeg

799D843C-1843-4520-A76C-65E814445635.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

14 minutes ago, SirBillybob said:

Of course this suggests the imperative of education of both sides of the transaction about the reality of possible differences between prime-dose and boost-dose immunity AND reciprocal candor of both players regarding dosing quantity and temporal history. It would also be up to both sides to determine risk tolerance for scenarios in which clients with Smallpox vacccination background, likely a sizeable consumer majority, have had one recent MVA-BN dose.

I did see one guy say in his ad that he had the first shot already, so he is being completely honest for sure.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:24 PM, Travis69 said:

In Washington DC got appt. 4 hours after pre-registering.  Appt. is for this coming Monday.  Must show proof of residency.  Very easy.

I’m in DC too and I think you should add that how one completes that ridiculous questionnaire determines how soon they’d get the vaccine. 
you must have checked “yes” to every box on that questionnaire. 

Aha, so we do know MVA-BN PEP vaxx breakthrough can occur: Patient #3 in the table, surveillance of 7 Monkeypox cases UK recent years. What is unknown is whether there were any PEP recipients within contacts related to the 7 patients, those recipients, if any, not acquiring infection. 

The recent PEP-tracking study in Paris recommends PEP within 4 days of exposure, a timing reference suggested elsewhere, but the vaccination group will receive MVA-BN up to 14 days following exposure. 

DB0F6F75-4FA7-45F4-94B6-75185A8BBC85.jpeg

191568BC-CFE7-44CE-BF65-68AABE300B37.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

40 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

I’m in DC too and I think you should add that how one completes that ridiculous questionnaire determines how soon they’d get the vaccine. 
you must have checked “yes” to every box on that questionnaire. 

I forget all the questions but I am a HIV negative gay man who has no health issues.  Never even spent a day or night in a hospital.  On no medications.  Doubt I checked every "yes" box.  It is puzzling as a friend of mine who has multiple health issues and is HIV positive has yet to receive his invitation for the vaccine.  He pre-registered before me.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:48 AM, MscleLovr said:

I hadn’t previously realised how easily Monkeypox may be transmitted without sexual contact. This is from the CDC website: 

• Direct contact with monkeypox rash, scabs, or body fluids from a person with monkeypox.
  • Touching objects, fabrics (clothing, bedding, or towels), and surfaces that have been used by someone with monkeypox.
  • Contact with respiratory secretions.

Yeah, but you're not going to get sores on your dick or ass through casual contact 🙄

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah, but you're not going to get sores on your dick or ass through casual contact 🙄

"Transmission was suspected to have occurred through sexual activity in 95% of the persons with infection." 

From a peer reviewed paper from the New England Journal of Medicine 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2207323

27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I may have misread the nature of the disease, but my understanding is that the lesions are not point of contact. You catch the disease and the lesions appear anywhere on your body that they like.

2 hours ago, Travis69 said:

I forget all the questions but I am a HIV negative gay man who has no health issues.  Never even spent a day or night in a hospital.  On no medications.  Doubt I checked every "yes" box.  It is puzzling as a friend of mine who has multiple health issues and is HIV positive has yet to receive his invitation for the vaccine.  He pre-registered before me.

That’s because the screening isn’t about health history, it’s about sexual activity. 
basically, gay sex workers and people with multiple sex partners are the priority. 

There are many people who don’t fall under these  categories and  many who don’t want to reveal such information that would go into a government database of info that could be leaked. 

Also, there’s a considerable amount of people who simply lied and checked “yes” to everything, just to get a quick appointment (no shame in that either). 

Personally, I don’t think that any of those questions should even be asked. 
Confirm you’re a DC resident and then get scheduled. Period. 

it cracks me up how government officials are claiming to avoid stigmas on the virus, but are steering a specified population (with a survey of questions used to draw skewed conclusions on that group’s sexual proclivities), to create “scientific data”, that will literally stigmatize them.

33 minutes ago, mike carey said:

I may have misread the nature of the disease, but my understanding is that the lesions are not point of contact. You catch the disease and the lesions appear anywhere on your body that they like.

Correct. Your body doesn’t care whether you breathed in respiratory droplets from your pet prairie dog while cuddling it or sucked a guy’s dick that had a lesion.

6A2A30FB-9009-46CF-B646-F0298D2A72F0.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob