Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

18 minutes ago, sniper said:

Every appointment slot is getting filled and all the shots available are  being given. It would seem takeup is exactly as good as it can possibly be given  supply constraints. 

The sluggish uptake seems to be specific to Montreal, perhaps also other Canadian locations. Supply more than adequate but the target population has plateaued, in terms of seeking vaccination, relative to expected GBMSM demographics. However, about 7 weeks of availability has passed and diminished returns on urging pursuit of MVA-BN might be an eventual broad trend. Mid-morning today about 20 bored staff at the walk-in Montreal location but no takers in sight. 

Edited by SirBillybob
The

I’ve read that  Monkey Pox is only contagious if the infected person already has symptoms.  It is apparently not very contagious during the incubation period.  If only people who experience symptoms would isolate for the duration of their illness, this thing would go away quickly?  Am I off base?  It is going to be 2023 before there is enough vaccine to  be available so we can’t put all our hope into that limited availability…

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

. . . if you are actually curbing risky contact until vaccinated, what are your thoughts on wait times. I believe the CDC recommends two (2) weeks after second Jynneos dose for maximum efficacy. But I also understood that some more progressive jurisdictions are foregoing second doses for much longer periods just to get more first jabs in arms (or underarms) now. 

I’m not sure why you started a new thread. Your question fits the central thread.

Anyway, here’s a poster on MVA-BN (aka Jynneos USA). It seems that 2 weeks following a single dose is fine. Additionally, an article on those with Smallpox vaccination history suggests the Smallpox immunity boost of a single dose of MVA-BN after 2 weeks is similar to that of the boost 2 weeks following a 2nd dose given after the 28-day interval. 

https://www.bavarian-nordic.com/media/290229/astmh2019-smallpox-monkeypox.pdf

Edited by SirBillybob

Just signed up to get the vaccine here in Denver. They do seem to be trickling through the public health services. I have a few friends who've been able to get it already. I'm on a waitlist apparently. They are only giving out the vaccine at a clinic every Wednesday. It doesn't look like I'll get it this Wednesday but maybe next. 

Curious any side effects for those who've taken it? COVID shots kinda kicked my butt but the Jynneos one doesn't seem to have major side effects. Is that right?

1 hour ago, keroscenefire said:

Curious any side effects for those who've taken it? COVID shots kinda kicked my butt but the Jynneos one doesn't seem to have major side effects. Is that right?

I didn't have any side effects, arm wasn't even sore. I spoke with a client today that had the shot two days ago,, same thing, no side effect 

2 hours ago, keroscenefire said:

Just signed up to get the vaccine here in Denver. They do seem to be trickling through the public health services. I have a few friends who've been able to get it already. I'm on a waitlist apparently. They are only giving out the vaccine at a clinic every Wednesday. It doesn't look like I'll get it this Wednesday but maybe next. 

A tender bruise was it for me.  Then again, I never reacted to any of my Covid shots either.

Kevin Slater

First stab at post-exposure vaccination efficacy. It’s not randomized assignment so I assume it will follow subjects that themselves decided on MVA-BN uptake following exposure to confirmed case. Perhaps cases that emerge would then generate ongoing recruitment, ie, their contacts.

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05438953?term=Mva&cond=Monkeypox&draw=2&rank=1#contacts

Edited by SirBillybob

9 hours ago, keroscenefire said:

Got the vaccine in Montreal on a Thursday afternoon by Friday my thighs were very, very weak to the point of almost falling.  My husband and taxi driver had to help me into a taxi to get me back to the hotel.  Weakness and soreness continued till Sunday although getting better each day.  My husband got the vaccine the same day and his legs were sore but not severe. Perhaps my advanced age contributed to the reaction.

Spoke to several dancers at Taboo who told be they had sore thighs but nothing severe.

The WHO has now declared Mpox to be a global emergency, the same level of concern they declared for Covid in late January 2020. This should result in greater efforts world wide to contain the spread of the virus.

In my view 2 months has been wasted in responding to this new public health threat. On May 18 I flagged this issue on this forum. Thankfully there were  those here in Canada who reacted more quickly, but not at the national level. Quebec was first out of the gate.

But better late than never I suppose.

Monkeypox spreads in different ways. The virus can spread from person-to-person through:

• direct contact with the infectious rash, scabs, or body fluids
  • respiratory secretions during prolonged, face-to-face contact, or during intimate physical contact, such as kissing, cuddling, or sex
  • touching items (such as clothing or linens) that previously touched the infectious rash or body fluids
  • pregnant people can spread the virus to their fetus through the placenta

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html

2 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

Addendum: It is available for immunocompromised. 

And now I realize this may add confusion. I assume that Quebec folks meeting this criterion would access the 2nd MVA-BN dose through their medical specialty program. The provision showed up in the news subsequent to my inquiring at the walk-in location. I don’t think that simply attending one of the public access vaccination clinics with documentation of immunocompromised status, eg, out-of-province/Canada, will yield access to the 2nd dose. 

Edited by SirBillybob

Finally I just got my first vaccine shot. Waiting in the recovery area. I see lot of cuties :D 

it wasn’t easy to get the appointment, but I did. I hope I get my 2nd dose before my next trip to Mtl 

edit: no side effects 

Edited by Alfstoria
Update and typo

When I was in Toronto back in early July getting my shot, I was told they only recommended those immunocompromised to get the 2nd shot. The 1st shot should be fine for healthy individuals for at least 2 years.

Here in USA, it seems like they highly recommend people to get 2 shots within 4 weeks even though there's a limit in the supply.

Just sharing my side effects experience: got the shot, first day couldn't even notice. Woke up the next day with the injection site super tender. It eventually swelled up a bit and the area around the site felt like a hard lump. It eventually went away after 7-10 days. Been seeing other people sharing similar anecdotes. 

20 hours ago, ndy25 said:

Just sharing my side effects experience: got the shot, first day couldn't even notice. Woke up the next day with the injection site super tender. It eventually swelled up a bit and the area around the site felt like a hard lump. It eventually went away after 7-10 days. Been seeing other people sharing similar anecdotes. 

I had a similar experience. It was just a painless hard lump that slowly went away after 7-10 days.

BTW, just in case anyone is curious on what the lesions may look like in the 'underwear zone', here's an article from New England Journal of Medicine, published July 2022.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm2206893