Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

With the exception of the "warm" welcome I got from a Canadian Passport Control/Border Agent this morning, getting a Monkeypox vaccine shot in Vancouver was a success and is a very simple process!

The vaccine site I went to was in a secondary school in the West End, and it was a simple process to sign in, get the shot, and do the 15 minute waiting period, and be on with your day.

https://vchcdimms.janeapp.com/locations/west-end-community-vaccination-clinic-king-george-secondary/book#discipline/1/treatment/2

Fortunately, I'm not experiencing any major side effects besides some soreness. It's a shame you can't get a 2nd dose in Canada (hopefully I can get that in NYC or LA), but i still recommend visiting Vancouver if you can for your shot.

A question for fellow foreigners who went to Canada for the jab - Do you explicitly tell the passport control you are visiting for the vaccine or do you mention other reasons (shopping, work, visiting friends/family)?

Edited by curiousbynature12

4 hours ago, curiousbynature12 said:

A question for fellow foreigners who went to Canada for the jab - Do you explicitly tell the passport control you are visiting for the vaccine or do you mention other reasons (shopping, work, visiting friends/family)?

On the way in….."I’m here for a friend’s Birthday".

On the way out…"I came to get the Monkey Pox vaccine!!!!"

The boarder agent just stared at me and said “Are you serious"?
I explained that I was at risk, and that the US was dropping the ball. 
She smiled, thanked me for protecting myself and others, and I was on my way home. 

Canada Rocks!

On the way in, if you get the wrong boarder agent, they might block you.

Why risk it?

4 hours ago, curiousbynature12 said:

With the exception of the "warm" welcome I got from Canadian Passport Control/Border Agent this morning, getting a Monkeypox vaccine shot in Vancouver was a success and is a very simple process!

The vaccine site I went to was in a secondary school in the West End, and it was a simple process to sign in, get the shot, and do the 15 minute waiting period, and be on with your day.

https://vchcdimms.janeapp.com/locations/west-end-community-vaccination-clinic-king-george-secondary/book#discipline/1/treatment/2

Fortunately, I'm not experiencing any major side effects besides some soreness. It's a shame you can't get a 2nd dose in Canada (hopefully I can get that in NYC or LA), but i still recommend visiting Vancouver if you can for your shot.

I used the electronic gates. No one there to talk to. 

14 hours ago, Tygerscent said:

I just spent three weeks in England… it’s a real concern and hitting the gay population in London and other cities BUT, they are also Organizing monkey pox vaccination clinics

Yes, the NHS in England is well-supplied and has just taken delivery of an additional 100,000 vaccines. Teaching hospitals with booking online as well as walk-in clinics offer the vaccine BUT people are being prioritised eg young men who are very sexually active, those with a recent sexually transmitted infection, the immuno-suppressed etc. 

I hadn’t previously realised how easily Monkeypox may be transmitted without sexual contact. This is from the CDC website: 

• Direct contact with monkeypox rash, scabs, or body fluids from a person with monkeypox.
  • Touching objects, fabrics (clothing, bedding, or towels), and surfaces that have been used by someone with monkeypox.
  • Contact with respiratory secretions.

Worryingly, Spain’s Ministry of Health today announced the death of a second person from Monkeypox.

Edited by MscleLovr

My husband had a appointment for monkeypox. I went with him and asked if they had any no shows or cancellations this morning. They had a couple people that did not show up so they gave me the vaccine. I was trying to book an appointment for weeks.

I would just go with friends that have appointments and ask if it's been any cancellations. It worked for me and a whole bunch of my friends. 

Edited by Daniel84

NYC Man is absolutely correct. Uniformity is important.

I am second-guessing here, and BTW I have no role on how things are done, but various jurisdictions are juggling prospective MVA-BN supply while drawing from limited recent research on incidence trends in order to squeeze out the biggest containment bang for the buck. A willy-nilly hand-picking from, say, the recent NEJM case surveillance findings does not fly well and contributes to mayhem. That in itself does not negate the PEP++ approach.

Canada, where I am, has been less rigidly aligned with dispersion factors and, as is known, has a come-one-come-all approach that commenced early in the incidence trajectory I append here. Not a robust impact on cumulative cases. Rolling incidence is fortunately beginning to level off likely due to the higher-risk more MPOX-susceptible vaccinees having been scooped into the campaign’s efforts. 

Among hundreds of nations Canada had, by chance and design, a fairly ample supply of MVA-BN in its decades-long Smallpox Contingency stockpile, more recently supplanting earlier vaccine supply with MVA-BN, while other nations’ stockpiles where there are contingencies reflect 1st and 2nd gen vaccine. 

E01F85F0-CE6A-4ECB-9B63-4A859A3A8050.jpeg

143727FE-3FE0-4C43-BFA2-B173D996EC41.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

Can somebody tell me in plain English how protected you are if you had ONE DOSE of the Monkeypox vaccine two weeks ago & don’t know if or when the 2nd dose will be available. Again layman terms please. No links to scientific journals etc…

9 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Can somebody tell me in plain English how protected you are if you had ONE DOSE of the Monkeypox vaccine two weeks ago & don’t know if or when the 2nd dose will be available. Again layman terms please. No links to scientific journals etc…

Honest answer: the current vaccine is fairly new so hard data is almost impossible to compile. Even an estimate would be borderline guessing. 

38 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

That’s a very relevant question and the answer is easy. The answer is no. Nobody can say how much protection one gets from a single dose of MVA-BN, or for that matter the 2-dose regimen, no matter how the language is packaged. The idea that there is any benefit at all to MVA-BN is inferred from particular types of research that are far from the ‘gold standard’ efficacy research that underpinned, for example, COVID vaccination. 

——-
For those interested: What is known specific to Monkeypox as a virus distinct from Smallpox is that 1st generation Smallpox vaccine reduced Monkeypox attack rates in Dem Rep Congo when small outbreaks were tracked in the first half of the 1980s decade and in the middle of the 2000s decade; both periods suggesting a 5-fold susceptibility to infection among the unvaccinated that translates to 80-85% protection for the inoculated. The durability of that protection along with the assumption that MVA-BN single dose is noninferior to 1st generation Smallpox vaccine forms part of the basis that it currently offers some protection. That it is “up to 85%” is a premature S  T  R  E  T  C  H, when one considers the rigour of COVID vaccine research. 

Edited by SirBillybob

19 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

For a straight answer... Google is pretty handy. Not sure why you expect experts on here to spoonfeed you the information when reliance on one's own due dilligence is the best route 

9 minutes ago, Tactile Daddy said:

For a straight answer... Google is pretty handy. Not sure why you expect experts on here to spoonfeed you the information when reliance on one's own due dilligence is the best route 

Read the topic of THIS thread. Then maybe just maybe you will understand why I am asking. What a stupid response! 

4 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Read the topic of THIS thread. Then maybe just maybe you will understand why I am asking. What a stupid response! 

Intelligent, responsible inquiring minds here want to know. Immunologists and virologists are asking the same questions among themselves. 

Edited by SirBillybob

1 hour ago, caramelsub said:

Does anyone else think this monkeypox epidemic, will force a lot of men to come out of the closet? I’m not exactly in the closet, but I’m not really out to everyone either. 

Stigmatizing Monkeypox like an STI among MSM could lead to some being outed  if they catch it, but it may also isolate and force some to become more closeted in attempt to protect themselves due to that stigma.

7 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

Yes, the NHS in England is well-supplied and has just taken delivery of an additional 100,000 vaccines. Teaching hospitals with booking online as well as walk-in clinics offer the vaccine BUT people are being prioritised eg young men who are very sexually active, those with a recent sexually transmitted infection, the immuno-suppressed etc. 

I hadn’t previously realised how easily Monkeypox may be transmitted without sexual contact. This is from the CDC website: 

• Direct contact with monkeypox rash, scabs, or body fluids from a person with monkeypox.
  • Touching objects, fabrics (clothing, bedding, or towels), and surfaces that have been used by someone with monkeypox.
  • Contact with respiratory secretions.

Worryingly, Spain’s Ministry of Health today announced the death of a second person from Monkeypox.

They advocate for their better health and community identity… it’s working in their favor 

Edited by Tygerscent

Now might be a good time to renew the old habit of showering with your partner before sex. You both can get a goo view to see if there are any open sores.  I don't know why Dallas seems to be getting hammered again.  Guess it's just time to be careful again. Dam....I just got my second win.

In both June and early July I had oral sex and deep kissing with about six different guys. I think I'm going to wait to have any sex as well until I receive the vaccine. It just sucks because I stopped having sex for over a year to avoid covid. I wind up contracting covid in March anyway at a damn wedding. lol