Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

1 hour ago, LookingAround said:

Pathetic that the United States can’t get its act together and so many of us have to go to Canada. 

I talked to my friends in Europe (Germany and UK) and they have similar problems getting their hands on the Jynneos vaccine - the NHS in the UK placed a large order on July 1 but delivery of the bulk of the order is targeted for last quarter of the year. The USA placed a smaller order but did get the order in sooner. The manufacturer is a small Danish company with limited capacity. At the moment demand outstrips supply for everyone, basically everywhere. 

Edited by FrankR

1 hour ago, LookingAround said:

Yes. Eligible for anyone now who shows up and asks for it. 

Do they require a healthcard? I‘m Canadian, but reading this post suggests that visitors to Canada can get it too…

Edited by cany10011

1 hour ago, cany10011 said:

Do they require a healthcard? I‘m Canadian, but reading this post suggests that visitors to Canada can get it too…

Details sometimes get buried as threads get longer, but I posted here in this thread, on June 16th, that anybody, Québecois or not, Canadian or not, could get Imvamune in the walk-in Gay Village vaccination clinic in Montreal. Since then, booking-based clinics have emerged throughout the city and the walk-in clinic has the online bookability as well (though no real point as walk-in option is easy). Again, the product is MVA-BN … trade name Jynneos USA, Imvamune Canada, Imnavex EU, in case visitors wonder why their certificate is labelled Imvamune when accessed in Canada.

45 minutes ago, SirBillybob said:

Details sometimes get buried as threads get longer, but I posted here in this thread, on June 16th, that anybody, Québecois or not, Canadian or not, could get Imvamune in the walk-in Gay Village vaccination clinic in Montreal. Since then, booking-based clinics have emerged throughout the city and the walk-in clinic has the online bookability as well (though no real point as walk-in option is easy). Again, the product is MVA-BN … trade name Jynneos USA, Imvamune Canada, Imnavex EU, in case visitors wonder why their certificate is labelled Imvamune when accessed in Canada.

Thanks. I'll just get it when I go home next time. 

3 hours ago, LookingAround said:

I wonder if/when they will be allowing or offering the second dose of the vaccine in Canada for those of us who got the first dose. At the moment they’re only giving the first dose. 

Again … Scroll back in the thread to June 13th, and to June 16th. I took medium pains to research and grasp the nuances: many would not be in need of a second MVA-BN dose. I won’t pursue a follow-up dose myself, even if there is flexibility in operationalizing a second dose option (ie, if a second dose is considered to superfluous and/or harmless; such rollout does not erode supply status, etc). If ambitious, read and interpret yourself the guidance that I linked. 

Edited by SirBillybob

6 hours ago, cany10011 said:

I think it varies by province since I had friends who went to Montreal and the clinic they went to required them to have gone to a bathhouse recently.

For me, the form asked for the healthcard number but I told them I didn't have one and they said it's ok. I went with Canadian friends and they input their healthcard number.

47 minutes ago, SirBillybob said:

Again … Scroll back in the thread to June 13th, and to June 16th. I took medium pains to research and grasp the nuances: many would not be in need of a second MVA-BN dose. I won’t pursue a follow-up dose myself, even if there is flexibility in operationalizing a second dose option (ie, if a second dose is considered to superfluous and/or harmless; such rollout does not erode supply status, etc). If ambitious, read and interpret yourself the guidance that I linked. 

In NYC I provided my contact details and was told I would be contacted to schedule my 2nd shot. They appear to have the intention to make sure everyone gets two shots.  The cute nurse that gave me the shot said “you are only considered fully vaccinated 4 weeks after your 2nd shot”. But they may have been trying to impress me (they did admire my biceps!) 😆

1 hour ago, kingsley88 said:

I think it varies by province since I had friends who went to Montreal and the clinic they went to required them to have gone to a bathhouse recently.

For me, the form asked for the healthcard number but I told them I didn't have one and they said it's ok. I went with Canadian friends and they input their healthcard number.

This is erroneous. There are NO restrictions at the clinic in Montreal. 

And no health card necessary. I was given the vax without using my out of province health card. The Americans who were there the same day obviously had no health cards.

18 minutes ago, FrankR said:

In NYC I provided my contact details and was told I would be contacted to schedule my 2nd shot. They appear to have the intention to make sure everyone gets two shots.  The cute nurse that gave me the shot said “you are only considered fully vaccinated 4 weeks after your 2nd shot”. But they may have been trying to impress me (they did admire my biceps!) 😆

This might apply to the younger generation who were unvaccinated in their youth. As an older type I received two smallpox vaccinations, one in primary school and the other at university or about ten years apart. 

I now have my third shot so unless I get other advice, I am satisfied I have sufficient immunity.

The CBC has just announced that there are 133 cases in Ontario, most in Toronto. 8000 people have been vaxed.

One can assume a not insubstantial number of these are Americans and not local residents. This is all good. I believe we gays are a community that needs to look after ourselves and look out for others too. 

With travel so prevalent again post Covid, disease respects no international boundaries. 131 cases in Toronto, essentially, the chances of encountering one of them is not negligible. The gay  neighbourhood in Toronto is very compact, with bars,  saunas and other gathering spots in close proximity.

Edited by Luv2play

1 hour ago, FrankR said:

Yes the primary MVA-BN vaccination schedule is two doses. There are no efficacy data, only safety and immunogenicity data. The correlation between antibody titre thresholds and true immunity is unknown. True immunity is not guaranteed. The second dose is predicated on the observation of a boost in antibody titres, a kind of ‘better safer than sorry’ mindset. This boost in antibody titres can apparently occur with a delay in the second dose application. All of this needs to be considered in the context of supply and demand against the backdrop of incidence metrics.

Those with a smallpox vaccination history demonstrate similar geometric mean antibody titre values irrespective of one or two MVA-BN doses in the present scenario, established in research prior to the emergence of the current outbreak. That is the basis of exercising discretion in terms of a second dose a month following the first. This level of discretion may be less applicable to special populations, eg, immunosuppressed. 

Edited by SirBillybob

On 6/15/2022 at 9:05 PM, Bacon said:

Is this a regular "shot" versus the old school pricking method with development of an active sore? Shot(s), yes. Going through the active virus application and the process of managing a pus filled lesion is far less appealing;

As I remember, it just wasn't that big a deal.  I think I got a booster in 6th grade.  The first one might have been 4th grade or 3rd grade.  You got a nasty-looking scab that always made me think of a raisin, that went away after a few weeks.  There was nothing to "manage."  There were strict instructions not to pick at the scab.  I don't remember, but I think the scab may have fallen off after a period of time.

Current News in San Francisco Bay Area.   Steamworks baths in Berkeley obtained vaccine and set up clinic.  Initially, I thought that was great.

But then, even though vaccine is free, in response to long lines, they segregated the lines for paid members and guests, so that paid members got in quicker

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/berkeley-business-criticized-over-monkeypox-vaccine-distribution/2943742/