Monkeypox a new worry for gay and bi men

Luv2play

6 hours ago, nycman said:

From the CDC and the FDA drug insert package….
JYNNEOS is administered as a live virus that is non-replicating.
Therefore, immunosuppression would not be a contraindication to taking the vaccine...

Interesting. If this live virus vaccine isn't contraindicated in the immunosuppressed, it will be the first that I've heard of. I haven't seen any studies on this particular vaccine. I'd be interested to know the basis for the apparent confidence in this recommendation. I appreciate the info. 

2 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

It is likely solicited site reaction that will attenuate and not the rarer bacterial cellulitis (fingers crossed). 

Cellulitis from an appropriately administered shot, is virtually impossible. 

Whatever you are seeing is in fact a local immune response to the shot.
Some are quite impressive…..still not cellulitis. Healthcare providers
(especially younger and/or poorly trained ones) often incorrectly diagnosis
this as cellulitis….it never is. 

Same thing goes for bee stings…..just FYI. 

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Interesting. If this live virus vaccine isn't contraindicated in the immunosuppressed, it will be the first that I've heard of. I haven't seen any studies on this particular vaccine. I'd be interested to know the basis for the apparent confidence in this recommendation. I appreciate the info. 

Two leads to data, @Unicorn :

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization I attached already. As is typical, they summarize and reference the related scientific inquiry. 

And/or the global database of registered studies Clinicaltrials.gov … put in Smallpox as the disease as it should bring up the very few Monkeypox-specific. Though taxonomy name changes are in the works such as SimianPox, hMPX & perhaps attendant clades. For the key word in the next dialogue box you can enter the overarching company product proprietary name MVP-BN (which I think is the generic name) that covers the trade names Jynneos, Imvamune, and Imnavex, or any one of those. There is one maybe two Jynneos, but others USA and beyond for MVP-BN, even some beyond orthopox specificity. Some of these studies/trials have results that link to published manuscripts on PubMed or elsewhere. 

You would select ‘all studies’ for the full breadth, ‘recruiting or not yet’ more for leads on being a volunteer. And as you likely know, stratifiable by nation. 

There is likely a small window to get Jynneos in Omaha or Columbus in a trial far more complex than simply MVA-BN immunogenicity on its own, but IMO probably easier to get Imvamune in Montreal. 

Edited by SirBillybob

2 hours ago, nycman said:

Same thing goes for bee stings…..just FYI. 

I know all this, and that single-dose vial playbook further mitigates contaminant risk. What I did not add was that the nurse giving me the dose was really rushing and abrupt, though she had several minutes between recipients. She put the needle in seemingly outside the zone she had swabbed, not giving it more than 3 seconds to dry yet missing the target spot at that, and in a weird location on my lower tricep quite distal from my deltoid and my bicep boundary. (I have no tattoos.) Frankly, I am relieved because she did not put on a bandaid though everybody else got one, apparently plunked on their deltoid, and I wasn’t sure she had even correctly applied the dose, and wondered if I did not get a bandaid because of a mishap as opposed to there simply being no🩸 in my case to stain my light-coloured shirt. I don’t think the exact location matters much. I also know that alcohol prep is not essential and I had showered that morning. But the latency of this reaction combined with my dissatisfaction with the administrator had me second-guessing. My local redness and swelling with CoV vaxx emerged much more quickly. With the Imvamune it was slightly tender and now visibly much more swollen and red but only after 6 days, about an inch or more away from where I think the puncture was. I know I know … subcutaneous, therefore slower systemic absorption? I agree probably (or certainly) not cellulitis but, rather, thankfully, evidence of getting all the active pharmaceutical ingredients essentially in the right place. 

Edited by SirBillybob

Two interesting things he said in the two videos. One, supplies of vaccine are limited. And he still didn't have his test results so he doesn't yet count as a confirmed case. He expects numbers to increase.

I suspect the same thing is happening in Canada as I read that testing is somewhat delayed because of the way it is set up. 

Thanks for sharing those videos. The doctor seems to have a very classic presentation of monkeypox from what I read. It's good that he's already feeling better after just a few days. I think the worse part is the isolation. I had COVID early and basically stayed in my apartment for two weeks. Really feel for people who have to do that.

Hopefully our testing gets better though and we can start getting those vaccines to people in close contact. Breaking the chains of transmission is definitely going to be helpful in getting these cases down. 

If ‘that gay doctor’ is one of merely 10 or so cases in Chicago, notwithstanding his occupational exposure risk (if that is the transmission vector; could be another) what a fluke. It suggests this virus is vastly more widespread than officially reported.

Edited by SirBillybob

20 hours ago, nycman said:

You’re right. The tenderness, redness, and swelling peaked Day 6-7 but has greatly reduced as of this morning (Day 8). 

——— 

[For any reader] I am not well-versed in TikTok but when I scrolled back up in the thread to watch them again the presentations were other videos from ‘gay doctor’ … the platform just automatically sets to the previous or subsequent in a series?

Oh, they reset. Never mind. 

Edited by SirBillybob

Toronto has three clinics including one downtown. Info is here.

https://www.toronto.ca/community-people/health-wellness-care/health-programs-advice/monkeypox/

The downtown location, Metro Hall, isn't that far from the gay village.  Google maps will show you the way.

I went to the one on the east end and they weren't busy at all.  It's also a clinic for covid shots and they seemed surprised someone came in for Monkeypox.  I'm sure the downtown location is busier.

I was in Montreal last week staying a block from the vaccine clinic on de Maisonneuve.  I walked in,  registered, and got vaccinated against monkeypox (they also do COVID) in less than 15 minutes (plus another 15 minutes' wait to make sure I didn't have an allergic reaction).  They used my US passport for the required ID.  I was very impressed with the efficiency and professionalism of the clinic personnel (and with how Quebec handles public health).

No reaction or side effects so far, and I'm past day 6.

I specifically asked my GP about the monkeypox vaccine during my last Prep appointment. She said they are not giving it out for the general public yet only if you've suspected you had an exposure or for health-care workers. She did say that if she were able to prescribe it, she definitely would though. Hopefully in the US soon.

16 minutes ago, keroscenefire said:

I specifically asked my GP about the monkeypox vaccine during my last Prep appointment. She said they are not giving it out for the general public yet only if you've suspected you had an exposure or for health-care workers. She did say that if she were able to prescribe it, she definitely would though. Hopefully in the US soon.

Yeah same here in Belgium... 

On 6/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, TorontoDrew said:

Toronto has three clinics including one downtown. Info is here.

https://www.toronto.ca/community-people/health-wellness-care/health-programs-advice/monkeypox/

The downtown location, Metro Hall, isn't that far from the gay village.  Google maps will show you the way.

I went to the one on the east end and they weren't busy at all.  It's also a clinic for covid shots and they seemed surprised someone came in for Monkeypox.  I'm sure the downtown location is busier.

Website states that they're only giving vaccinations to "at-risk populations".  Safe to presume that means gay and bi men.

Just wanted to share my experience getting the vaccine in Toronto. I went to Metro Hall location in downtown. Overall it took 30-40 mins of my time. I had to fill out a form and sign it, wait in the line (a few people ahead of me), take the shot, and then wait for 15 mins in the waiting area in case of allergic reactions.

The lady who gave me my shot was at 519 a week before and told me that one had a 2-3 hour wait!

Thank you to @TorontoDrew for the info above!