2022 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 736 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

14 hours ago, sam.fitzpatrick said:

@sfguy72 - Santiago would be the next place I would consider if you are looking for a gay resort.  Other gay resorts you might look into are Vista Grande, Hacienda (a little more pricy), and All Words.  CCBC is a little further out of town.

Some members also have stayed at one of the Marriott properties in the past.

Hacienda is my favorite but agree that is the most expensive. I went to Vista Grande but it was a little rundown but maybe it has been refurbished since. 

as always, I'll plan some moderate morning hikes if anybody is interested......maybe we'll see the shirtless fireman on the Bump N Grind Trail again!

and I can probably pick anybody up at PSP if you're flying in there direct rather than ONT or LAX.....it's only about two miles from "the action".....

• 2 weeks later...

gee, I must be on a Palm Springs e-mailing list or something......😁

got an email today from a new men's hotel called Descanso.....no dedicated website yet, I guess, but there's this:  https://www.visitgreaterpalmsprings.com/listing/descanso-resort/24411/ 

don't know if this place may've been discussed earlier in this thread and I don't know anything about it, but it might be an option for some if other places are booked.....the location is several blocks north of downtown and the Canyon Club, which many of you know the location of......just north of the hospital, if that helps.....to be honest, not a really convenient location.....not walkable to the popular Warm Springs gayborhood and barely walkable to downtown....but it's refurbished and "reimagined"......

Edited by azdr0710

16 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

gee, I must be on a Palm Springs e-mailing list or something......😁

got an email today from a new men's hotel called Descanso.....no dedicated website yet, I guess, but there's this:  https://www.visitgreaterpalmsprings.com/listing/descanso-resort/24411/ 

don't know if this place may've been discussed earlier in this thread and I don't know anything about it, but it might be an option for some if other places are booked.....the location is several blocks north of downtown and the Canyon Club, which many of you know the location of......just north of the hospital, if that helps.....to be honest, not a really convenient location.....not walkable to the popular Warm Springs gayborhood and barely walkable to downtown....but it's refurbished and "reimagined"......

I received the same email a few days ago - probably because I've stayed in prior years at the former "East Canyon Hotel & Spa".  Looks like they have refurbished the resort and rebranded it.  It was a nice resort when I last stayed a few years ago (2016).  No really walkable but they had plenty of parking and was generally quiet. However, they are currently sold out on April 8 and 9.  I found the resort seems to get more high winds from those resorts in the Warm Springs area.

17 hours ago, jrhoutex said:

I received the same email a few days ago - probably because I've stayed in prior years at the former "East Canyon Hotel & Spa".  Looks like they have refurbished the resort and rebranded it.  It was a nice resort when I last stayed a few years ago (2016).  No really walkable but they had plenty of parking and was generally quiet. However, they are currently sold out on April 8 and 9.  I found the resort seems to get more high winds from those resorts in the Warm Springs area.

North Palm Springs can be very windy.

On 1/1/2022 at 12:33 PM, Lucky said:

I am going to drive to Palm Springs.

Each year I've done...I've always driven. After 5 months of winter, I don't want to think about a "return flight", I just want to take my time and stay as long as I feel I need to. It's not bad coming from the middle of the country and stopping in places along the way. Next time, I'm going to arrive on Thursday or Friday because...getting in on Saturday, it's too much having to get settled on the first day. Better just to chill. 

On 1/26/2022 at 2:07 PM, jrhoutex said:

I believe I stayed at the East Canyon (Azdr correct me if I am incorrect) location on my first trip to Palm Springs and had an overnight with Alec Andrews.  And you are right things were ablowing over there.  It was a reasonably nice place.

12 hours ago, purplekow said:

I believe I stayed at the East Canyon (Azdr correct me if I am incorrect) location on my first trip to Palm Springs and had an overnight with Alec Andrews.  And you are right things were ablowing over there.  It was a reasonably nice place.

If you were with Alec, I have no doubt things were ablowing.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:07 AM, Lucky said:

North Palm Springs can be very windy.

I take it from your comment that the wind will kick up sand and create a dust storm, not unlike a snow blizzard.

The last time I was in PS many moons ago, upon leaving a restaurant one evening and bidding goodbyes to our dinner companions who drove off in the wind, I remember their car disappearing into the gloom where their taillights were swallowed up by the dust. 

An eerie sight. Reminded me of Marlene Dietrich walking off into the sand dunes.

On 1/9/2022 at 1:12 PM, azdr0710 said:

as always, I'll plan some moderate morning hikes if anybody is interested......maybe we'll see the shirtless fireman on the Bump N Grind Trail again!

and I can probably pick anybody up at PSP if you're flying in there direct rather than ONT or LAX.....it's only about two miles from "the action".....

Look forward to seeing you again. Missed you last year. 

5 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I take it from your comment that the wind will kick up sand and create a dust storm, not unlike a snow blizzard.

The last time I was in PS many moons ago, upon leaving a restaurant one evening and bidding goodbyes to our dinner companions who drove off in the wind, I remember their car disappearing into the gloom where their taillights were swallowed up by the dust. 

An eerie sight. Reminded me of Marlene Dietrich walking off into the sand dunes.

So all they were was Dust in the Wind?  Did all your dreams pass before your eyes, a curiosity?  😉

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, menaughty said:

Is there a way to get to Palm Spring from LAX airport? Like a shuttle or something. 

As far as I know, the only options are Amtrak/Amtrak buses, or other bus lines, not a shuttle or anything like that. As others have said, renting a car at LAX for the duration of your stay in SoCal is likely the best option. Other airports in the LA basin may be better options than LAX.

I'm not the best person to ask, as my Qantas options to fly from a west coast port of entry to PSP are competitive, and no more than it would be to other nearby cities in the west/mountains (typically AUD100 each way on top of my trans-Pacific fare). For internal US travellers, just sucking up the higher airfares into PSP that I know US carriers have, and using Uber/taxis in Palm Springs may be a reasonable option.

10 hours ago, menaughty said:

Is there a way to get to Palm Spring from LAX airport? Like a shuttle or something. 

Unfortunately, there is no direct service provider between LAX and Palm Springs. I don't know where you are flying from, but there are several new airlines flying directly to PSP from various locations now, and it is probably worth the extra airfare--if there is any--to fly in and out of PSP rather than LAX. However, if you are coming from an international location other than Canada, LAX is probably your only choice.

I live in Los Angeles but don't own a car and finding a way to get to and from Palm Springs is always the hardest part to figure out. The last few years before the pandemic, I wound up getting a ride with one of the many drivers who shuttle Coachella-bound music lovers back and forth. Those trips were oddly entertaining, but I was usually the oldest person in the vehicle by at least 20 years and the only one without fresh flowers to wear in my hair. In 2019, I got a ride back at the end of the weekend with a man who makes his living transporting beloved pets and expensive dollhouses around the country for people. It was random luck that he was picking up a show poodle in Palm Springs that needed to be dropped in the Hollywood Hills. 

Having said all that, I'd love to actually find a ride with anyone from our group making the trip and would be more than happy to contribute financially. I've just got a messed up shoulder that won't let me drive myself.