Scheduled Maintenance: Tuesday October 25, 2022 12:01 - 9:00 AM ET

RadioRob

As recently announced (in this topic), I will be migrating the site from our current servers which are currently maintained by me over to being hosted by the company that makes the software we use to power the website (Invision Power Board).  

In order to prevent a loss of data during the migration, I'll need to turn the website off while the work is in progress. 

This means the website will be offline next Tuesday October 25, 2022 starting at 12:01 AM ET until approximately 9:00 AM ET.  During this time, you'll see a message saying the site is under maintenance.  (It may be back sooner, but I want to give myself extra time just to be safe.) 

The website address is still going to be the same, and no data is expected to be lost.  You should still be logged into the site once the migration is complete.  After everything is complete, you'll automatically see the maintenance message removed.  So don't panic on Tuesday morning! 

Again, the reason for this migration is to reduce the risk of something happening to the site should something happen to me.  I did not want the site to require someone who understood how to run things like Apache, PHP, mySQL, and have to be a tech nerd.  By having Invision host the site, they'll manage all of the "under the hood" things.  This means the site would be able to continue operating going forward even if I was not around.  

(Don't worry...  I'm not going anywhere. This is simply one of the tasks I gave to myself to help ensure the site survives should the same thing happen to it that happened when we lost Daddy.)

Also...  one thing new about being hosted on the IPB cloud is that there are some dynamic features available such as being able to see members who are in the same area as you are, or if someone is replying.  This might look like:

On the topic view screen:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Within a forum thread:

image.jpeg

Again, you won't see these additional indicators until after the migration.  

Invision uses the same platform that our site has been running on for the last year (AWS).  

When I've run into technical problems since our migration to the software, I've had to provide them access to the site, including the admin area for troubleshooting purposes.  

They've also hosted sites of adult nature in the past.  If there ends up with a problem with the site, it will be moved back to my own account.  Generally their stance is if can run on AWS, it can run with them.  I know many of the folks there personally and have a good working relationship with them.  I don't anticipate problems.