2022 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 735 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey Mike Carey I just read today (2/7), in the Wall Street Journal, that Australia is opening up the country to vaccinated visitors starting March 1.  Does that also mean that you will be allowed to leave the country and join us in Palm Springs -- certainly hope so. 

Edited by Epigonos

1 hour ago, Epigonos said:

Hey Mike Carey I just read today (2/7), in the Wall Street Journal, that Australia is opening up the country to vaccinated visitors starting March 1.  Does that also mean that you will be allowed to leave the country and join us in Palm Springs -- certainly hope so. 

I have been allowed to leave the country since last October. Yesterday's announced changes apply to foreign visitors to Australia (and from 21 Feb). I wasn't ready when the changes came in last year, and I've left my run too late now. I don't even have a current passport.

(There would be time to get a passport, we are not having the ridiculous wait times I've heard applicants in the US are having but it's another level of uncertainty to add to airfare and accommodation availability.)

Edited by mike carey

7 hours ago, Charlie said:

However, if you are coming from an international location other than Canada, LAX is probably your only choice.

As I noted in an earlier reply, if fares from Australia are anything to go by a connecting flight is a modest additional cost on the same ticket. On QF the fare is roughly the same via LAX, SFO or DFW, their three US gateways. (I once even saw a competitive SYD-PSP fare on UA via IAH.)

I suspect that US and international carriers would offer connections via any of the international gateways.

None of this is of much use if you are already in LA.

3 hours ago, mike carey said:

As I noted in an earlier reply, if fares from Australia are anything to go by a connecting flight is a modest additional cost on the same ticket. On QF the fare is roughly the same via LAX, SFO or DFW, their three US gateways. (I once even saw a competitive SYD-PSP fare on UA via IAH.)

I suspect that US and international carriers would offer connections via any of the international gateways.

None of this is of much use if you are already in LA.

For international travelers, SFO is sometimes a better choice than LAX for connections to PSP, even though it is farther away, because it has better air service to PSP than LAX does (more flights on larger aircraft).

7 minutes ago, Charlie said:

For international travelers, SFO is sometimes a better choice than LAX for connections to PSP, even though it is farther away, because it has better air service to PSP than LAX does (more flights on larger aircraft).

Now he tells me?

After 4 years of trying to figure out how to make it to the PSP gathering…..

Now he tells me.

grin

9 minutes ago, Charlie said:

As I recall, when I've been looking for fares on the QF website, SYD-LAX-SFO-PSP fares have been effectively the same as SYD-SFO-PSP. Also, via LAX-PHX. But yes, SFO is better for connections to PSP than LAX is.

When I book from Canberra, flights via Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, and then via any of their US gateway cities have been essentially the same. But what happens on this side of the pond is off topic.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:04 AM, Antonio1981 said:

That would be Atleast a 2 hour commute. It would be cheaper to rent a car than take an Uber or taxi. It is about 120 miles from LAX to Palm Springs.  

For anyone not familiar with LA traffic, that's just driving at night with NO traffic. Plan on it taking 3.5-4 hours...

LA, Chicago, Atlanta: add 2 hours to anything over 100 miles lol. 

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

With that said, there may even be connects out of Las Vegas, Reno, San Diego or Phoenix also. 

Rental car rates have been so crazy lately that, I decided it would be better to get a 2nd vehicle. Hell, don't forget https://www.amtrak.com/home either. I did Amtrak twice last year, and as long you're not going cross-country: business class can be so comfortable. You aren't constrained on bags and have ample room to sit and walk. 

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

10 hours ago, Jarrod_Uncut said:

With that said, there may even be connects out of Las Vegas, Reno, San Diego or Phoenix also. 

Rental car rates have been so crazy lately that, I decided it would be better to get a 2nd vehicle. Hell, don't forget https://www.amtrak.com/home either. I did Amtrak twice last year, and as long you're not going cross-country: business class can be so comfortable. You aren't constrained on bags and have ample room to sit and walk. 

The Amtrak station in PS is far outside town, there is usually no taxi service on site, and the scheduled arrivals from the east are normally late at night, if they are on time. I like train travel, but it is not a good choice for PS, unless you have a friend with a car in North Palm Springs, who is willing to pick you up at any hour. There are air connections from the cities you mention, but few international visitors arrive at those cities.

8 hours ago, Charlie said:

The Amtrak station in PS is far outside town, there is usually no taxi service on site, and the scheduled arrivals from the east are normally late at night, if they are on time.

In my accustomed penny-pinching public transport friendly manner, I investigated Amtrak as an option early on. As you suggest, the Palm Springs Amtrak station is a non-option. There was, however, an option to catch a train from LA Union Station to Fullerton then a Thruway (i.e. Amtrak) bus from there, but there were, I think, only about two of those a day. As I've said here before, I've just opted to take a connecting flight to PSP via some convenient city that isn't Los Angeles (nothing against LA, last time I rented a car at PSP and drove to LA via other places in the region for my flight home).

• 2 weeks later...

If I count correctly we will all be meeting in Palm Springs for the annual Palm Springs Weekend six weeks from this Friday.  Hard to believe it is so rapidly approaching.  Hopefully both regulars and newbies have already made transportation and hotel reservations for the long weekend.  I understand from some attendees that hotel reservations are becoming few and far between so if you haven't made you reservations yet PLEASE do so immediately.    I'm looking forward to seeing many of the regulars and hopefully lots of newbies.                                                              

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody. So I just found out that Inndulge upgraded my April reservation to one of their suites. This means that the extra-large (and pretty comfortable) couch in the photo will be available if there happens to be anyone who was interested in attending the weekend and didn’t make a reservation for whatever reason. I’ve made this offer the last couple of years I’ve stayed at Inndulge and it’s worked out great. Both the bedroom and the living room have their own doors to the outside and there’s a door separating the two, so my snoring shouldn’t keep anyone up. The only caveats would be the bathroom is on the living room side of the door and I also might need to sneak through to make an early morning cup of coffee in the kitchen. 

I’m currently scheduled to arrive on Thursday, April 7 and check out Monday, April 11, but I have been toying with the idea of staying an extra night and leaving on Tuesday. I’m still trying to figure out my own transportation to and from Los Angeles, but hopefully that’ll get sorted. If someone’s interested, but has their own wish list (i.e. time in the space with me elsewhere), that’s something we can discuss. Feel free to share this with anyone you know who might be interested.

Inndulge LR.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2022 at 6:25 PM, azdr0710 said:

gee, I must be on a Palm Springs e-mailing list or something......😁

got an email today from a new men's hotel called Descanso.....no dedicated website yet, I guess, but there's this:  https://www.visitgreaterpalmsprings.com/listing/descanso-resort/24411/ 

don't know if this place may've been discussed earlier in this thread and I don't know anything about it, but it might be an option for some if other places are booked.....the location is several blocks north of downtown and the Canyon Club, which many of you know the location of......just north of the hospital, if that helps.....to be honest, not a really convenient location.....not walkable to the popular Warm Springs gayborhood and barely walkable to downtown....but it's refurbished and "reimagined"......

https://dallasvoice.com/descanso-is-palm-springs-newest-gay-resort/