What are you binge-watching?

BSR

Watched the first 4 episodes of Julia on HBO. Totally hooked… Sarah Lancashire IS Julia Child and the supporting cast is amazing… including Bebe Neuwirth, David Hyde Pierce, James Cromwell and small bits of Judith Light. Happy to have it doled out weekly. 

Edited by EVdude

The Gilded Age is fab, produced by Julian Fellowes this is the American version of Downton Abbey, life in NYC during the Gilded Age.  Cynthia Nixon is a notable star, as is Claybourne Elder who is in the current cast of Company on Broadway.  Many of the street scenes were filmed in Troy NY, near my home town in upstate NY.

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!  My favorite quarter of the year -- Masterchef Spain finally started!!  The season is short, only 13 weeks; but since each episode runs 3+ hours (no commercials because it's public television), watching just one episode qualifies as a binge.

I already have a favorite, a handsome 35yo fireman.  Here's a funny clip where he admits to buying women's jeans because they make his ass look good ("me hacen culito de caramelo").  Even if you don't understand a word of Spanish, it's worth watching for the visuals.

Does anybody watch the US version of Masterchef?  A friend says she hates it because she thinks Gordon Ramsay is too mean, to the point of abusive.  But given the show's popularity, Ramsay must have his share of fans.

PS: I can't get the pix to show up,, but here are links to pix of Season 5 winner Jorge and Season 7 winner Aleix.  Both guys are great chefs, but come on.  Only 16 finalists are selected out of 100,000 who audition.  You're telling me looks have nothing to do with making the cut?  Yeah, uh huh.

I'm binge watching UK series  Heartstopper.   It's more coming of age gay content on Netflix.   The series has some parallels to Handsome Devil, that sort of genre. I wasn't sure if I'd stay with it but then Olivia Colman appeared as mother of one of the two boys.    Awesome!  Her part is small and a bit of a surprise.

There is one extremely poignant scene with Mom and son in the car.   Very moving.     

spacer.png

On 1/7/2022 at 4:49 AM, tassojunior said:

Olivia Colman gets all these Best Actress nominations and awards for basically playing Olivia Colman

I completely agree @tassojunior. To me, her acting is always vulgar and rarely subtle.

On 4/23/2022 at 12:51 AM, OCClient said:

I'm binge watching UK series  Heartstopper.   It's more coming of age gay content on Netflix.   The series has some parallels to Handsome Devil, that sort of genre.

I don’t binge-watch it @OCClient. One episode per evening prolongs the pleasure for me. It is very enjoyable, and I feel it conveys very well the emotional intensity and ups-and-downs of the teenage years. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:45 AM, samhexum said:

I binged the first 2 seasons of THE MESHUGANAH MRS. MAISEL in a day and a half over the weekend, so obviously I enjoyed it, but I have a few criticisms:

1.  The entire cast kept mispronouncing her name.  I knew a family growing up named Maisel, and it's pronounced myZELL.  They could've just had her use MAYzle as a stage name, because the audiences & club owners kept calling her that.

2.  The end of the 2nd season was supposed to mark a year since Joel left.  I know that's a good milestone to use for dramatic effect, but it seemed far too quick for everything that happened in the 2 seasons to happen,  given the era & the lack of successful women stand ups at the time, especially considering Midge's complete lack of experience & Susie's lack of experience as a manager.

The first season ended with Midge's boffo set at The Gaslight, & using her name onstage for the first time. That should've been the one year mark.  Then the telethon appearance & subsequent offer of a 6 month tour that ended season 2 should've been the 2nd anniversary of Joel leaving.

3.  Joel's mother seems like one of those characters writers come up with to throw every stereotype and eccentricity at, figuring the audience will find her so ridiculous they'll laugh at her on sight.  EPIC FAIL!  I found her character extremely annoying any time she was onscreen.

4.  Midge's mom seemed like a believable character for me, except for her reliance on psychics.  Nothing about her character seemed 'old-world' to me, she didn't seem massively tied to 'the traditional ways' and she was fairly cosmopolitan, so the psychic visits did not ring true to me.

5.  I think Tony Shalhoub did a good job bringing the character as written to life, but he seemed more like a caricature than a character to me.  I originally thought his scenes in Paris when he stayed with Rose for a while were kind of a saving grace for the character, but when I thought about it, nothing else in the 2 seasons made it seem like he'd have the patience or social graces to have that in him. 

Did anybody recognize Midge's (& Abe's) lawyer?  It was Doogie Howser's best friend, Vinny Delpino.

Let's hope you are in a much better mood if "Take Me Out" is ever available on cable. I feel sorry for Patrick J Adams, Jesse Tyler Furguson and Jesse Williams and your overly critical comments