What are you binge-watching?

BSR

On 6/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, Kevin Slater said:

I LOVE Jean Smart.  She was amazing in Fargo & Watchmen.  Just not in this.  Or rather, not enough to make up for the crappy writing.

Kevin Slater

She was in Fargo?   Who was she in Fargo?

22 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

As much as I loved the movie, the tv show (or rather, shows, as each season is independent) is even better.  Especially season two, with Jean Smart.

Kevin Slater

Yeah, I couldn't watch them.  I hate that actor from Breaking Bad (a show that was both good and wildley overpraised.)  I did hear that in one season there was a gunfight inside a hotel that was masterfully shot, I need to watch that episode's scene.

I also think that a brilliant movie can not be surpassed by a tv show, no matter how brilliant the TV show is, because concision is, as they used to say, My Jam.

Edited by Rod Hagen

2 hours ago, OCClient said:

The Bear on Hulu.  A drama.   

Set in a Chicago restaurant. 

So far I love it.   The last show I loved this much on Hulu got cancelled so I'll enjoy while I can.

spacer.png

This show is great.  It's got authentic Chicago grit.

As a native, I will say a couple of the accents are spotty, but the writing is good and the camerawork is superb.  Totally makes up for any small quibble.

If you have HBOMAX I highly recommend “Years and Years”. Six part series following one family, 3 generations, from 2019 forward 15 years. The great Anna Reid is perfect as the family matriarch. The hunky Russell  Tovey plays the gay brother with a few steamy scenes. Emma Thompson is brilliant as a hybrid Trump-Marin Le Pen type who gets into 10 Downing Street. I really loved the concept, the individual characters stories, the subplots - just a brilliant program! 👍🏻

44 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

I couldn't find a darn thing to watch on streaming, so went digging through old DVDs.  Landed on Dante's Cove! Got the set, never watched it...now working my way through it. The guys are mouth-watering!!

Wow! That’s a blast from the past! God was wonderfully awful fun it was! 😂

A friend and I would watch together, and just laugh at the impossibly good looking men always looking dewey, and delivering such cringey dialogue. 

But they had Tracey Scoggins, so there’s that 😂

Enjoy it, @KeepItReal for what it is - perfect trashy soap with plenty of eye candy! 👍🏻

BBD 

THE LAST MOVIE STARS (HBO) documents the lives and films of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.  Newman was easily one of the sexiest men of his era and Woodward was a truly great actress who, for reasons explored in the series, never reached the level of stardom she deserved.  I've only watched the first two hours so far, but have already compiled a list of their films I want to see again (or in many cases, for the first time).

Highly recommended.

On 6/22/2022 at 4:44 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I've watched the Netflix series "Heartstopper" over and over for weeks now.

Wow, thanks for this one. Just finished binge watching it.
As a gay boy whose first “boyfriend” was a closeted
bi-sexual jock, it really hit home. 

They did a great job depicting the tortuous love that exists
in that complicated and wonderful world. 

Guest MikeThomas
7 hours ago, pitman said:

THE LAST MOVIE STARS (HBO) documents the lives and films of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.  Newman was easily one of the sexiest men of his era and Woodward was a truly great actress who, for reasons explored in the series, never reached the level of stardom she deserved.  I've only watched the first two hours so far, but have already compiled a list of their films I want to see again (or in many cases, for the first time).

Highly recommended.

Agree.  Very well done.

Wow… just starting binging We’re Hear on HBO. Love it! So surprising not to find any mentions here.

Three top Ru Paul alumni… Bob The Drag Queen, Shangela, and Eureka, put on drag shows in small town America. Each episode weaves in 3 stories of town locals who ultimately take part in the drag show. 

I think it’s top notch. Fabulous story telling and editing. So many relatable moving experiences… very real and frank, and not every story has a bowtie ending. Season 3 is being filmed now. 

I finished Boundless, the story of Magellan & the man who actually first circumnavigated the globe but never gets credit for it (at least not in this country).  A little cheesey, not the most convincing shipboard scenes, but I liked how the series filled in the gaps (I only knew the bare bones of Magellan's voyage).  With early 16th century technology, Magellan left the port of Seville with 5 ships and 239 men.  Almost 3 years later, only 1 ship and 18 men made it back.  It's a helluva story.  It could have been told better than this miniseries did, but I guess Boundless did an OK job.  6 35-minute episodes on Amazon Prime Video.

Spent a weekend at home in bed after a recent back injury ( herniated disk ). Started binge-watching the Umbrella Academy.

I had heard of it before but assumed it was typical Marvel Comics superhero stories which doesn't interest me, but was pleasantly surprised to discover it was more. Good writing, storylines, art direction and character development. Also some great, great music choices.

Thought this group might also enjoy the inclusion of two openly gay characters ( one who transitions to parallel the actor herself/himself  as he/she transitions in real life.)

The kid who plays #5 is a phenomenal actor at only 16.

Overall ...lots to like, all wrapped up in a varied time-jumping, story line with great music and art direction.

Edited by pubic_assistance

I stumbled on Elite on Netflix the other day and now I've been binging it.   It took me a minute on the first episode to understand why the dialogue seemed off but then realized its dubbed over for English.  I didn't know it was a Spanish show.   I have to say the voiceovers do a really decent job so it doesn't bother me.   

Watching a new Netflix Series called "Uncoupled" starring Neil Patrick Harris (NPH).    Series is about a gay couple in NYC who break up after 17 years, the story follows NPH experience post-breakup.   It's a bit like a gay male version of Sex and the City.   Enjoying it so far.....😀

24 minutes ago, JEC said:

Watching a new Netflix Series called "Uncoupled" starring Neil Patrick Harris (NPH).    Series is about a gay couple in NYC who break up after 17 years, the story follows NPH experience post-breakup.   It's a bit like a gay male version of Sex and the City.   Enjoying it so far.....😀

Definitely watchable and entertaining although a bit too many gay cliche's for me.    I will say the series gave me a whole new infatuation with NPH I didn't know existed before.  

Guest MikeThomas
1 hour ago, kaboom35 said:

Definitely watchable and entertaining although a bit too many gay cliche's for me.    I will say the series gave me a whole new infatuation with NPH I didn't know existed before.  

NPH must have had a clause in his contract requiring every pick-up / potential pick-up / date to tell Neil how handsome and hot he is. 😀