What are you binge-watching?

BSR

With social distancing and all non-essential businesses shut down, I've been binge-watching like crazy, as are millions of other Americans. Since I signed up for Netflix, I've seen ...

• Toy Boy: I discussed this one in the other thread. Just awful, but I'll probably still watch Season 2 if they renew the series.
  • Velvet Colección: the sequel to "Velvet," the greatest series of all time (imho), Spanish or English, at least the first two seasons. As much as I enjoyed seeing the old Velvet characters I know & love, the sequel falls miles short of the original. I did like the grand finale, however.
  • The Cable Girls: the stories of 4 telephone operators, Madrid from 1928 to 1939. A great series, definitely worth watching. I raced through it and am on the edge of my seat waiting for Netflix to release the last 3 episodes.
  • Élite: this one gets my biggest thumbs up. A murder mystery/drama set in a posh private high school in the Madrid outskirts. My big beef with the show, like so many teen dramas, is that the 20-something cast looks like they're in the 20s, not high school. But once you forgive them for that, the show is great soapy fun: cheesey-good melodrama, engaging characters, and a sexy cast not the least bit shy about showing skin. I loved the gay love story, Ander & Omar. Ander has a smokin' bod, and Omar's eyes just melt me. The actors have great chemistry, and you totally buy into them as a couple. I'm so glad they'll both be in Season 4.

I doubt I'm the only one burning through Netflix. What series have you been binging? Any recommendations?

On Netflix, I just binge watched the first 3 seasons of Dear White People, again. Love that one and has some eye candy too. Looking forward to S4.

Tried Hunters on Prime. Stopped at 4 episodes.

I'm at about 4 episodes of Hunters now. I like it but it's not as good as I was led to believe.

I'm at about 4 episodes of Hunters now. I like it but it's not as good as I was led to believe.

It has its moments. Love Pacino. But the story arcs and violence are over the top. I don't need to be repeatedly beat over the head with something I already get.

On Netflix, watched The Valhalla Murders. I took Old Icelandic (which is quite close to modern Icelandic) in grad school, so I was initially drawn in by the opportunity to see some scenery - the geographic kind - and was not disappointed by the story either. But I confess I had to look up Lögreglan, which often appears in written form. When I did some of the vocabulary started coming back. The dubbing into English is pretty good.

I am now watching Babylon Berlin. Really drawn into the story. The song and dance number in Season 1, Episode 2, of “Zu Asche, zu Staub” blew me away. Watching and singing along with youtube videos of it has become something of an obsession. Will I be dancing along with it next? And I have fallen in love with Volker Bruch, who plays the male lead Gereon Rath. Or maybe with the character in Bruch’s body.

Next in line is probably Elite.

Edited by BgMstr4u

Next in line is probably Elite.

I go back & re-watch scenes of Omar & Ander because I just love the two actors, by far my favorite TV couple. I confess, I'm one of those idiots who screamed at the TV when they break up & one of them starts going out with another guy, "Nooooooo! you idiot! he's wrong for you!" as if these were real people or as if this fiction had anything to do with my life. But that's how wrapped up you get sometimes, even in a TV soap.

I found a nice clip compilation of some Omander (the couple's handle on social media) scenes. The two actors really have a great chemistry.

Off and on “Twilight Zone” on Hulu. First episodes from 1959 still hold up. A few interesting ones that could well apply to 2020 isolation:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734676/?ref_=ttep_ep3

As a kid, I used to watch reruns of The Twilight Zone because I thought it was a cool show, which it was. I couldn't admit it at the time, but I was also drawn in by Rod Serling's hunkiness and ubersexy voice.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734587/?ref_=ttep_ep22

With Billy Mumy who did another quite popular Twilight Zone (below considered a classic) and the original Lost in Space.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734580/?ref_=ttep_ep8

Billy Mumy had a bit part in the Twilight Zone movie of 1983, where they redid the classic episode you mention. It's based on a short story that I believe won a Hugo (the science fiction awards), I read the story before I knew it was a Twilight Zone episode.

I take it back, it did not win the Hugo - tough competition that year from "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C Clarke. From author Jerome Bixby's wikipedia page...

He also wrote four episodes for the Star Trek series: "Mirror, Mirror", "Day of the Dove", "Requiem for Methuselah", and "By Any Other Name". With Otto Klement, he co-wrote the story upon which the science fiction movie Fantastic Voyage (1966), television series, and novel by Isaac Asimov were based

I saw "Curb Your Enthusiasm" for the first time. I found the episode I watched to be extremely funny. In this episode, Larry David opened up a "spite store" right next to a coffee shop he used to frequent, while Chaz Bono's gigantic penis had a storyline all its own.