What are you binge-watching?

BSR

The binging continues. In my initial post, I forgot about "High Seas." Not that it was forgettable; I liked it quite a bit. It's an old-school murder mystery set aboard an ocean liner crossing the Atlantic, like a Castillian Agatha Christie novel. Great sets & costumes, the Spanish have a flair for period dramas.

I also raced through "Money Heist," a crime drama about a criminal gang that takes the Royal Mint of Spain by force, holding all the employees hostage so that they can print the money (€2.4 billion) & run. I understand why it's the most popular non-English language series on Netflix: intriguing characters, sophisticated plot lines, and nail-biting suspense. The show was so successful that Netflix extended it for another go-round. For their second act, the gang regroups to pull off another heist, to rob the gold stored in the Bank of Spain. Super-entertaining, it's my favorite of the series I've watched so far.

I also saw a series I had previously never heard of, "Victim Number Eight," a crime drama about an alleged jihadist attack in Bilbao that leaves eight dead. The twist is that it wasn't a terrorist attack, but a murder made to look like one. It's a damn good storyline, enhanced by a smokin' hot actor playing the poor guy framed for the "terrorism." As a bonus, they have a scene in which the protagonist and his equally hot best friend are full-frontal naked, totally gratuitous nudity but I ain't complaining.

“Ozark” season 3 released today on Netflix. Jason Bateman et al ? awesome and binge worthy if you’ve not seen the previous two seasons

Thanks for the heads up, as I really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2!

Binge watched Harlots on Hulu (seasons 2 and 3 are better than 1)

Sex Education (Netflix)

Hunters I found appallingly juvenile writing, and contains some dreadful offensive stereotypes. Some of the acting pretty bad too. It also can't seem to make up it's mind what it is?

Veep (watched it all twice!)

Difficult People on Hulu (dark humor you will either love or hate but Andrea Martin is priceless)

Recommendations:

7 seconds. Underrated series about police corruption.

The Keepers. Documentary series about a nun's murder connected to a pedophile ring in the catholic church.

Not a series but a movie. "The Clan" about an Argentinian crime family.

Guilty pleasures:

You. But only the first season.

Why Women Kill.

American Vandal. Second season.

Avoid:

The Outsider (the first two episodes are good then it goes off the rails)

The Stranger

London Spy

Liar

Gold digger

Kiri

Sharp Objects

What if

You (Second season)

and the worst of all: The Dublin Murders

The Sinner, on USA channel is a must see binge. It just wrapped the season and I watched weekly but it would make for a perfect binge... Congrats to the gorgeous and Talented Matt Bomer for a season well done. Playing the str8, married and tormented professor Jamie Burns, who's dark past comes back to haunt him, it has suspense, intrigue, drama, surprise and homo-erotic undertones... It will pull you in.... Make some popcorn and sit down for a watch-see....

thesinner_cast_matt_bomer.jpg

I saw "Curb Your Enthusiasm" for the first time. I found the episode I watched to be extremely funny. In this episode, Larry David opened up a "spite store" right next to a coffee shop he used to frequent, while Chaz Bono's gigantic penis had a storyline all its own.

If you get the chance watch the episode where Larry picks up a prostitute so that he can use the express lane and catch a ballgame. I believe it is in Season 3.

My binge has been to go back and watch Broadchurch, if only for the guilty pleasure of watching Olivia Colman.

I finally caught up with The Tudors. There's some nice eye candy with two if it's stars and a bit of sex here and there. I was hoping to escape the daily news but the episode where the plague comes to England was as scary as the current headlines. I do think Henry Cavill one of the most gorgeous guys around.

Just binged UNORTHODOX on Netflix. Only four episodes and was unplanned but once I started it I could not stop. Fascinating and riveting.

This was recommended to me, and I wasn't sure I'd be interested, but fascinating is right. A definite thumbs-up.

Recommendations:

7 seconds. Underrated series about police corruption.

The Keepers. Documentary series about a nun's murder connected to a pedophile ring in the catholic church.

Not a series but a movie. "The Clan" about an Argentinian crime family.

Guilty pleasures:

You. But only the first season.

Why Women Kill.

American Vandal. Second season.

Avoid:

The Outsider (the first two episodes are good then it goes off the rails)

The Stranger

London Spy

Liar

Gold digger

Kiri

Sharp Objects

What if

You (Second season)

and the worst of all: The Dublin Murders

Thanks so much for recommending Seven Seconds on Netflix. I find it really, really well done. Regina King (of Watchmen fame) is, as usual, amazing in her role. I had never seen the lead, Clare-Hope Ashitey, before and she is really great, very understated in her acting. She is also one of those British actors that you would never know is not an American. I find more British actors are able to do that than the other way around, i.e., American actors that can totally slip into British accents. I also really liked the Michael Mosley ("Fish") character because he is so capable of portraying a multi-layered but easily dislikable character. The plot is intriguing and a mystery but of a different kind because you know who the killer is from the beginning. The intrigue is whether he/she will be caught. I also appreciated the fact that many of the main characters were flawed in one way or another. I guess it made them more interesting and more realistic. There is one twist that I was glad was included. From the beginning I thought to myself, "Wouldn't be interesting if such and such?" And lo and behold it was added and becomes part of the plot. Finally, the series discusses many problems in society itself, e.g., as you say, police corruption and the inequality of race by police enforcement. At any rate, as you mention, the series is underrated and well worth a viewing.

Edited by TruthBTold

I can't remember who it was, but a British actor in an interview said that Brits grow up watching American shows and movies much more than Americans watch British stuff, so they're a lot more familiar with the accents.

I was surprised how many actors on The Walking Dead are British. Andrew Lincoln with a British accent in a behind-the-scenes feature several years ago caught me completely off guard.

"ZeroZeroZero" (Amazon Prime in the U.S.) Italian produced drama about the global drug trade. Meticulously crafted and directed. Gorgeously shot. Very ambitious in its story-telling. But admittedly a little (appropriately) complicated and dense.

(Disclaimer: I still have 2 episodes to go. )

And of course "Tiger King" (Netflix in the U.S.).....!!!!!!!

If you get the chance watch the episode where Larry picks up a prostitute so that he can use the express lane and catch a ballgame. I believe it is in Season 3.

My binge has been to go back and watch Broadchurch, if only for the guilty pleasure of watching Olivia Colman.

Yea Broadchurch

I can't remember who it was, but a British actor in an interview said that Brits grow up watching American shows and movies much more than Americans watch British stuff, so they're a lot more familiar with the accents.

I was surprised how many actors on The Walking Dead are British. Andrew Lincoln with a British accent in a behind-the-scenes feature several years ago caught me completely off guard.

If you check cast lists on imdb.com, you'll see that US TV shows & movies are chock-full of not just Brits but also Australians, Canadians, etc. playing American characters. What I've read is that American actors just demand too much damn money.