What are you binge-watching?

BSR

[quote="I am now watching Babylon Berlin. Really drawn into the story. The song and dance number in Season 1, Episode 2, of “Zu Asche, zu Staub” blew me away. Watching and singing along with youtube videos of it has become something of an obsession. Will I be dancing along with it next? And I have fallen in love with Volker Bruch, who plays the male lead Gereon Rath. Or maybe with the character in Bruch’s body.

THANKS for this. S2 had me on the edge of my seat. (Spoiler?) It has one of the most realistic drowning scenes I've seen on TV. I was gutted. Getting ready for S3.

At the moment I’m watching Episodes. Again. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s all the corny sex jokes. But I am starting to wonder ... Is there something to the running gag about how big Matt LeBlanc’s dick is? Anybody here with reliable information?

If you check cast lists on imdb.com, you'll see that US TV shows & movies are chock-full of not just Brits but also Australians, Canadians, etc. playing American characters. What I've read is that American actors just demand too much damn money.

I am sure that is true. But then the Americans miss out on good acting opportunities rather than just money making slots. Just watched Kelly MacDonald in Puzzle (2018)(second time). Faultless performance and although it is a "small" movie it has a wonderful cast. And in that movie you would never know she is Scottish and not American. I would recommend the movie to everyone.

http://www.gotceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/photos/kelly-macdonald/edinburgh-international-film-festival-2018-in-edinburgh/Kelly-Macdonald:-Edinburgh-International-Film-Festival-2018--09-662x995.jpg

Merli on UK NetFlix is a about an offbeat philosophy teacher with a very active libido and his class of attractive students in Barcelona. One of the students is his son who’s struggling with his sexual identity. Oh and it’s actually a comedy with a touch of pathos. And each episode includes a dose of the teaching of a different philosopher. Did you know that Foucault was gay? It’s in Catalan dubbed or closed captioned.

Now that my free 30 days of Netflix is up, I won't renew, not because I'm economizing but because I need to take a break from binging. Here are the rest of the series I gobbled down:

• Neighbors: a Spanish superhero comedy that was pretty damn funny. No dubbing, though, and I doubt the humor would translate well to subtitles. The lead, Quim Gutiérrez, is a genius at light comedy.
  • Morocco, Times of War: a very solid drama set in the Rif War (between Spain & what is now Morocco, circa 1921). Unfortunately, it wasn't renewed for a 2nd season, but this one season is definitely worth watching.
  • Cathedral of the Sea: the story of a 14th century serf who rises to wealth & power. I had high expectations because it got great reviews, but it was so disappointing.
  • Locked Up: I watched the first 2 seasons on Spain's Antena 3; Seasons 3 & 4 are the Netflix renewal of the show. I was afraid maybe they were stretching the series out too long, but I liked the continuation almost as much as the original run.
  • Cocaine Coast: the tale of Sito Miñanco, who became the king of Galician drug trafficking (based on real life). Galicia, the northwest region of Spain, became the gateway for 3/4 of Europe's cocaine traffic because its ~1200 miles of coast are too much for law enforcement to patrol. The guy who plays Sito is a great actor, and the series is compelling viewing.
  • Apaches: a journalist returns to his old neighborhood and reunites with his childhood best friend to save his father & family from financial ruin. The tough part is that they make their money by robbing jewelry stores, although the series' main themes are not glamorous jewel heists but family & friendship.
  • Unauthorized Living: another tale of a Galician drug kingpin. This time it's a (fictional) 60-something man recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He has to fight off Mexican & Colombian rivals in the drug trade and save his family business from financial ruin, all while struggling against the relentless progress of his disease.
  • Fugitiva: Eek! Stay away! An interesting premise: a woman fakes her own kidnapping to escape with her three children from her abusive billionaire husband. The first episode is great, but oh boy, does it go downhill from there.

I'll sign up for Netflix again after they release Seasons 4 & 5 of Élite and Season 5 of Money Heist. When they released Season 4 of Money Heist on April 3, I thought that was the end of the series, but they left us with a helluva cliffhanger. I'm totally addicted to Money Heist, as are tens of millions more around the world. It's the most viewed Netflix series in many countries, something unprecedented for a non-English language show. Élite is a distant second favorite, well behind Money Heist, but I gotta see what happens to my favorite gay couple, Omar & Ander.

I also watched a bunch of movies, all forgettable except two: "We Need to Talk" is a romantic comedy that actually had me laughing out loud quite a bit, a rarity for me. "The Invisible Guest" is a murder mystery/thriller that was clever and original, a tall order considering the countless murder mysteries & thrillers that have been made/written.

Edited by BSR

Now that my free 30 days of Netflix is up, I won't renew, not because I'm economizing but because I need to take a break from binging. Here are the rest of the series I gobbled down:

• Neighbors: a Spanish superhero comedy that was pretty damn funny. No dubbing, though, and I doubt the humor would translate well to subtitles. The lead, Quim Gutiérrez, is a genius at light comedy.
  • Morocco, Times of War: a very solid drama set in the Rif War (between Spain & what is now Morocco, circa 1921). Unfortunately, it wasn't renewed for a 2nd season, but this one season is definitely worth watching.
  • Cathedral of the Sea: the story of a 14th century serf who rises to wealth & power. I had high expectations because it got great reviews, but it was so disappointing.
  • Locked Up: I watched the first 2 seasons on Spain's Antena 3; Seasons 3 & 4 are the Netflix renewal of the show. I was afraid maybe they were stretching the series out too long, but I liked the continuation almost as much as the original run.
  • Cocaine Coast: the tale of Sito Miñanco, who became the king of Galician drug trafficking (based on real life). Galicia, the northwest region of Spain, became the gateway for 3/4 of Europe's cocaine traffic because its ~1200 miles of coast are too much for law enforcement to patrol. The guy who plays Sito is a great actor, and the series is compelling viewing.
  • Apaches: a journalist returns to his old neighborhood and reunites with his childhood best friend to save his father & family from financial ruin. The tough part is that they make their money by robbing jewelry stores, although the series' main themes are not glamorous jewel heists but family & friendship.
  • Unauthorized Living: another tale of a Galician drug kingpin. This time it's a (fictional) 60-something man recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He has to fight off Mexican & Colombian rivals in the drug trade and save his family business from financial ruin, all while struggling against the relentless progress of his disease.
  • Fugitiva: Eek! Stay away! An interesting premise: a woman fakes her own kidnapping to escape with her three children from her abusive billionaire husband. The first episode is great, but oh boy, does it go downhill from there.

I'll sign up for Netflix again after they release Seasons 4 & 5 of Élite and Season 5 of Money Heist. When they released Season 4 of Money Heist on April 3, I thought that was the end of the series, but they left us with a helluva cliffhanger. I'm totally addicted to Money Heist, as are tens of millions more around the world. It's the most viewed Netflix series in many countries, something unprecedented for a non-English language show. Élite is a distant second favorite, well behind Money Heist, but I gotta see what happens to my favorite gay couple, Omar & Ander.

I also watched a bunch of movies, all forgettable except two: "We Need to Talk" is a romantic comedy that actually had me laughing out loud quite a bit, a rarity for me. "The Invisible Guest" is a murder mystery/thriller that was clever and original, a tall order considering the countless murder mysteries & thrillers that have been made/written.

Thnx @BSR. When you go back to Netflix, see if Mar de Plastico is still available. It’s a 20+ episode mystery with as many suspects from the opposite corner of Spain. Even with subtitles I was hooked. Warning here. The episodes are more than an hour long. You can easily lose a whole afternoon binge watching just 3.

Thnx @BSR. When you go back to Netflix, see if Mar de Plastico is still available. It’s a 20+ episode mystery with as many suspects from the opposite corner of Spain. Even with subtitles I was hooked. Warning here. The episodes are more than an hour long. You can easily lose a whole afternoon binge watching just 3.

I actually watched Mar de plastico a while back, in its original run on Spain's Antena 3. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of MDP, although I enjoyed swooning over Luis Fernandez (Salva) every week. The first season was definitely better than the second. Last I checked, MDP is still available on Netflix.

If you have a Netflix subscription & are looking for something to binge, check out "Velvet," the tale of an impossible love between the scion of a house of fashion and a poor seamstress, set in Madrid circa 1960. Seasons 1 & 2 are the best TV I've ever seen. Season 3 is pretty good still, but Season 4 is awful. The absolute star of the series is the dashing Miguel Angel Silvestre. Just seeing him every week in the 1960s fashions and cars made the show worth watching. Velvet also features great supporting characters, including Raul de la Riva, one of the most likable gay characters you'll ever see. I watched every episode of Season 1 six times, Season 2 episodes 5 times. Yeah, I was that hooked.

Not a binge, quite the opposite, a short film: the story of Jordi & Marc, the gay storyline from "Barcelona, summer night." It has English subtitles, which you'll need even if you understand Spanish because some of the dialogue is in Catalan. It's a sweet short story, and what I liked about it most was just how much Luis Fernandez throws himself into the role. As much as I love Luis Fernandez ('cuz he's so damn pretty), uh, lets just say he's not winning a Goya (Spain's Oscar) any time soon. But this role is probably his best work, and I love that he gave this character his all. My only complaint is they didn't make out enough, LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiEDlJp3jKs

Mad Men (Which I surprisingly missed the first time around!) It's an interesting depiction of my youth, however the cigarette smoking is enough to knock me over!

Peace,

Kipp

If smoking bothers you better skip Babylon Berlin. There are few scenes without it.

During a Katie Couric Instagram interview this week she mentioned three shows

1. Ozark, Netflix
  2. Succession, HBO
  3. Unorthodox, on Netflix

I know I am the only person in the world that did not like Succession but it was too over the top for me. Perhaps it is a satire and I am just not getting it. The characters just weren't believable although the son-in-law (Matthew MacFadyen) is really handsome. It is pretty amazing that he is English. If you just saw him in Succession I don't think you could tell.

The other two I have not seen although I have them on my list on Netflix. Right now I am almost done with Babylon Berlin. I would recommend it (at least the first two seasons). I am waiting to see where the third one leads me. My philosophy has been that often a series is good for perhaps 3 seasons and then putters out. Babylon is so expensive to make I am not sure how long it can hold out considering the current crisis.

I know I am the only person in the world that did not like Succession but it was too over the top for me. Perhaps it is a satire and I am just not getting it. The characters just weren't believable although the son-in-law (Matthew MacFadyen) is really handsome. It is pretty amazing that he is English. If you just saw him in Succession I don't think you could tell.

The other two I have not seen although I have them on my list on Netflix. Right now I am almost done with Babylon Berlin. I would recommend it (at least the first two seasons). I am waiting to see where the third one leads me. My philosophy has been that often a series is good for perhaps 3 seasons and then putters out. Babylon is so expensive to make I am not sure how long it can hold out considering the current crisis.

I loved Succession, which is based on Rupert Murdoch and his family, which is why I don't find it unbelievable-unfortunately people/families like that do really exist!