Sensitive topic - race and rates

Go to solution Solved by José Soplanucas,

5 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

I’ll give you examples to counter your point: sports, specifically the NFL.

The NFL welcomes inclusion, as they will put talented black players on the field to win games, get concussions and build fan fare… 

But the  NFL won’t welcome equality, as the NFL moves up in the ranks of coaching and ownership, there’s a clear glass ceiling that talented black applicants can’t reach, even if it would better benefit the franchise. 

Even in capitalistic society, there’s a boundary of race…. and goes like this:

“We welcome minorities, as long as they know their place. You might be even reach the room, but you’re not going to be at the TABLE. And you’re never going to get me SEAT.” 

So, what should men charge?

1 minute ago, Vegas777 said:

So, how should I factor this in when determining how much to pay a provider? 

You shouldn’t factor this in at all.

The provider should be the one determining the pay.  And his rate shouldn’t be questioned either. 

Just now, Vegas777 said:

Perfect! Glad to know race has nothing to do with it. That's what I always assumed.

When one is determining his rates, race has nothing to do with it. 

When a potential client questions his rates, race has ALOT to do with it. 

4 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

When one is determining his rates, race has nothing to do with it. 

When a potential client questions his rates, race has ALOT to do with it. 

I don't understand.  Should I be questioning rates of men based on their rates?  I never have this far.  If a rate is too high for me I move on.  If a rate is too low I jump on the opportunity to meet right away.  Am I doing something wrong?  This advice of questioning rates by ethnicity sounds more complicated than it needs to be.

Edited by Vegas777

Just now, Vegas777 said:

I don't understand.  Should I be questioning rates of men based on their rates?  I never have this far.  If a rate is too high for me I move on.  If a rate is too low I jump on the opportunity to meet right away.  Am I doing something wrong?  This practice of questioning rates by ethnicity sounds more complicated than it needs to be.

We both understand. 
1.) it’s poor etiquette to question a provider’s rates. 
2.) you are correct in “moving on” if a prover’s rates are too high for you.

The practice of questioning rates by ethnicity isn’t something that occurs blatantly. It’s usually thinly veiled with some other justifying B.S.

No one is going to flat out tell a provider: “Why in the hell would I pay your Black/Asian/Hispanic a$$ , THAT much money?” 

It simply doesn’t work that way… 

13 hours ago, Monarchy79 said:

And Asians exclude other Asians themselves… 

When was the last time anyone heard or saw an Asian vocalize a specific preference for another Asian?

I’ll wait…. 😎

I live in a part of the city that is 70% Asian.   Our neighbors across the street are a mixed couple - white husband, Asian wife, but the overwhelming majority are Asian husband, Asian wife.

3 hours ago, Monarchy79 said:

For example, in many discussions on crime, the easiest “statistic” that people use to make the generalizations that black men are pre-destined to be criminals is that they are “a small percentage of the US’s population, but are the highest percentage of those conducting crimes”. Because of this, I’m looked at as a potential criminal, simply because of this statistic.

The problem with all statistics is they get used out of context to see what you want to see.

The issue with crime in the United States has always been about poverty, not skin color.

The secondary and associated fact, is that when African American families did their best to integrate into mainstream American society there was a great deal of push back, and denial of opportunity in the 1950s. This lead to an economic black underclass and later a "deal with the devil" in the 1970s to make a buck selling drugs, as poverty among the black community worsened. Historically, black people were the ones arrested during the "drug wars", NOT the White Italian Mafia who were supplying the drugs.  So always the scapegoat of the problems, whether or not they ORIGINATED with the community.

So there is a long history of black men and women being viewed as secondary citizens, not matter how much lip-service is paid to "equality" these days.

As I stated previously in this thread, BEHAVIOR is everything. One of the best provider's I've hired recently was a very nice young black man. I say he was one of the best because he was professional, easy to talk to which are virtues that I look for beyond a set of handsome photos, with any provider. His skills were superior to many and I was well satisfied with the encounter, and happy to have met someone so compatible to my sexual tastes.

How disgusting it would be to be attracted to someone and simultaneously thinking to yourself that they are worth less, because of their ethnic background.  In this case, this young man was not only worth his fee, but I tipped generously because of his professional behavior throughout the experience.

3 hours ago, Vegas777 said:

So, what should men charge?

Men should charge what they believe they are worth. They can evaluate that based on their looks, age, niche factor, dick/butt size, specialty services, location, amenities, or anything they choose. 

There’s no set formula for that. 
if he sets a price and makes a successful living from those prices then it works for him. 

53 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

Men should charge what they believe they are worth. They can evaluate that based on their looks, age, niche factor, dick/butt size, specialty services, location, amenities, or anything they choose. 

There’s no set formula for that. 
if he sets a price and makes a successful living from those prices then it works for him. 

Agree. There’s what a provider is willing or able to take in to make his life work for himself, and there’s what the market will bear. Price adjusts accordingly and somewhere between the two the rate lands there. The rest of the fine tuning is the provider determining his own value, and perhaps a smidge of marketing.

5 hours ago, Monarchy79 said:

Men should charge what they feel they are worth. 
No one determines a man’s value, but himself. 

The market will determine, at the end of the day, where a man’s pricing ends up.

But …

That pricing does not determine a man’s value or worth. 

27 minutes ago, DWnyc said:

The CEOs of some of the highest valued and most powerful companies in America are of East Indian origin. 

…. And in those companies, the CEOs answer to the Board of Directors. The Chairman of those boards are definitely not East Indian…. 😉

15 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

It’s funny you mentioned him. In the city I live in (DC), there are tons of 7-Elevens with “Apu” there. The irony is that Apu owns the franchise and is making TONS of money. 

Exactly …

13 minutes ago, Monarchy79 said:

…. And in those companies, the CEOs answer to the Board of Directors. The Chairman of those boards are definitely not East Indian…. 😉

The chairman is likely playing golf while trusting the CEO with billions of dollars … I think the glass ceiling has been shattered enough in that example 

45 minutes ago, DWnyc said:

The chairman is likely playing golf while trusting the CEO with billions of dollars … I think the glass ceiling has been shattered enough in that example 

The Chairman doesn’t trust the CEO with billions of dollars, the CFO has that responsibility. . 

On 4/16/2023 at 7:20 PM, Rocca said:

In my experience, I have not seen much variation in price based on race or color. I have seen variation in price based on age, and maybe fitness level. Ive seen older men charge a little less, and Ive seen older men who aren’t as fit charge less. 
Guys with model/actor looks are going to charge about the same black or white. Guys with average looks charge about the same black or white.

I agree. This has been my observation as well.

Edited by RandyVue

1 hour ago, Monarchy79 said:

I’m not trying to squeeze anything. Just changing the lenses of those rose colored glasses you insist on wearing. 

what are you going to say next? “Racism doesn’t exist?” 

This topic comes up frequently on this forum. I’m one of the few who consistently argues that there is a racism problem and specifically when it comes to provider / client interaction, usually before some others get uncomfortable if not already denying it.

I can be an optimist on this if I choose, and that’s partly idealism but also based on experience.  I, however, am not denying you your views or experience.

Edited by DWnyc