Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

I saw an interesting feature about the most overrated & most underrated tourist attraction in each state. For example, Nevada's most overrated was the Las Vegas Strip & most underrated was Red Rock Canyon. I agree about the Strip, but my underrated pick would be the Valley of Fire - huge red rock formations in a valley of white silica sand.

For my old home state of Massachusetts, most overrated was Plymouth Rock - 100% agree! I was expecting something substantial, maybe not the size of Gilbraltar but at least a good-sized boulder. Nope, they might as well call it Plymouth Pebble. The most underrated is the Berkshires, the mountains in western Mass. The Berkshires are nice, but my pick would be the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.

I thought it would be interesting if forum members posted their picks for their own state or city. Final thought: most overrated for New York was the Statue of Liberty. Again, totally agree! Don't ever climb the damn thing. The stairs are very long, steep & narrow, and when you finally get to the crown, the windows are dingy as hell & don't even face Manhattan. Their underrated pick was Niagara Falls. I'd nominate the Gaiety Theater, but it closed years ago.

To me the most underrated was the canyons of Utah. Driving through so many nameless places with spectacular formations was really nice-not to mention the named parks. Overrated -I guess Los Angeles-maybe because I was expecting it to be like Hollywood and in reality - ouch-the traffic and some neighborhoods and back when I visited downtown was scary. . I haven't been in a while-I hear it is far far worse?

In Colorado, overrated would be the Coors Brewery Tour (or any brewery tour really...seen it once it's kind of the same). Underrated would be Denver itself in my opinion. A lot of people come to Colorado and instantly go the mountains (which you definitely should), but Denver has some really beautiful spots and some excellent restaurants/arts venues.

The most over-rated tourist attraction in my state is the Circus Circus Adventuredome, while the most underrated is Spring Valley State Park.

It should be noted that the beauty of underrated places is they often times are tranquil with minimal visitors. Highlighting them might not be the best idea!

I've never even heard of Spring Valley State Park. I thought Spring Valley was an unincorporated township in Clark County.

Arizona:

overrated: Sedona - traffic-clogged Disneyland-like spectacle.... not really a town, but just a series of boutiques, timeshares, realtor offices, and restaurants....yeah, there's the nice scenery thing, but similar views are available throughout the southwest without the noise/people/cars/rules/gift shops

underrated: Barry Goldwater bombing range - miles and miles of wide-open pristine Sonoran desert landscape, no noise or people at all (usually), big country views under a blanket of a million stars amid the fantastic dry and warm air....4WD and permit required!

Sedona_traffic_backup.JPG

morning-view-of-the-desert.jpg

Edited by azdr0710

I've never even heard of Spring Valley State Park. I thought Spring Valley was an unincorporated township in Clark County.

It's in an extremely remote area of Eastern Nevada. I visited between snowstorms, and was the only one there. If I were a professional photographer, I could have made serious money from capturing the scenery; it was that beautiful.

London Shopping:

Overrated - Harrod's (except for the Food Hall)

Underrated - Fortnum & Mason

London Sights:

Overrated: The London Eye

Underrated: Highgate Cemetary

Caribbean Snorkeling:

Overrated: Cozumel (better for divers)

Underrated: Roatan, Honduras and Buck Island, off St. Croix

Cakes and Coffee in Vienna:

Overrated: Hotel Sacher

Underrated: Cafe Demel

New York:

Overrated: Empire State Building

Underrated: The Cloisters

Stone Circles:

Overrated: Stonehenge

Underrated: Callanish Stones

Paris Churches:

Overrated: Sacre-Coeur, Montmartre

Underrated: Sainte-Chapelle

Belgium:

Overrated: Manneken Pis, Brussels

Underrated: Hans Memling Museum, Bruges

Natural Wonders of North America:

Overrated: Grand Canyon

Underrated: Canadian Rockies between Banff and Jasper

You must be joking. Seriously What is it with you?

The question was about tourist sites within a state. The Liberty Bell is not an historically important artifact; the legends about it are not verified. It was first used in the 1830s by abolitionists as a promotional item for their cause, and later in the century as a promotional symbol for the city of Philadelphia. It is simply a metal object in a glass case on Independence Mall, hardly worth a visit for its own sake.

The question was about tourist sites within a state. The Liberty Bell is not an historically important artifact; the legends about it are not verified. It was first used in the 1830s by abolitionists as a promotional item for their cause, and later in the century as a promotional symbol for the city of Philadelphia. It is simply a metal object in a glass case on Independence Mall, hardly worth a visit for its own sake.

Huh? Almost everyone who visits Philadelphia wants to see the Liberty Bell, a symbol of liberty.

And while they are there, perhaps Independence Hall as well. Or is that something that doesn't meet with your approval as well.

Edited by WilliamM

Arizona:

overrated: Sedona - traffic-clogged Disneyland-like spectacle.... not really a town, but just a series of boutiques, timeshares, realtor offices, and restaurants....yeah, there's the nice scenery thing, but similar views are available throughout the southwest without the noise/people/cars/rules/gift shops

underrated: Barry Goldwater bombing range - miles and miles of wide-open pristine Sonoran desert landscape, no noise or people at all, big country views under a blanket of a million stars amid the fantastic dry and warm air....4WD and permit required!

Sedona_traffic_backup.JPG

morning-view-of-the-desert.jpg

Agree about Sedona with one exception - the Enchantment Resort. I think it's the plushest place we've ever stayed and it is situated ( unfortunately) inside of a beautiful box canyon. We liked it so much the first time that we went back for a second visit only a few weeks later.

Southern California

Most overratted: Hollywood Blvd: A very tacky street with lots of tacky tourist shops

Most underratted: Descanso Gardens: Beautiful and peaceful especially this time of year when the huge camellia trees are in bloom

Arizona

Most overratted: Scottsdale, Grand Canyon, and Sedona

Most underratted: Canyon de Chelly

New Mexico

Most overratted: Old Town Albuquerque and Taos

Most underratted: The drive along the high road to Taos

Utah

Most overratted: Mormon Tabernacle

Most underratted: Monument Valley