Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

Have you ever visited the underrated Boeing factory in Mukilteo, WA?

@BSR Is Imelda's shoes at the Marikina Shoe Museum underrated or overrated?

LOL, I haven't been to the shoe museum, but the next time I'm in Manila, it's on my must-do list.

By the way, the butterfly dress (what Imelda is wearing in one of the photos) is traditional Filipino garb. My aunt recently attended a wedding where the bride & groom requested all guests to wear traditional attire, but my aunt swears she will never be caught dead in a butterfly dress. She had to ask special permission from the couple to wear a regular gown. I accused her of being afraid of unleashing her inner Imelda. She laughed & admitted that the former first lady was probably the root cause of her distaste for the style.

Edited by BSR

@KrisParr @sam.fitzpatrick

thanks for the mention of the Indiana Dunes, the US's newest National Park!.....really nice.....took the South Shore Line train from downtown Chicago three or four years ago to a stop convenient to the dunes and walked over and around all over the area.....perfect day and, wow, Lake Michigan is an ocean!.....nice sand, pleasant breeze, and the view of the famous Chicago skyline from 40 or so miles away.......(just ignore that ugly power plant over there down the shore a bit!)

chicago-skyline.jpg

I knew a family who used to visit Gisborne quite often. Is it a nice place, that you know of?

Gisborne or Gizzy as the locals call it, is a delightful place. Remote even by New Zealand standards, and really just a small town on the east coast. Great beaches and rugged inland landscape. Best approached from around East Cape.

Lake Waikaremoana is worth a visit

Most overrated

Aukland, New Zealand

Most underrated

The south island of New Zealand, including the city of Christchurch

Auckland is just a city, its beauty is the harbour and the gulf islands.

Christchurch is quite charming, but that was before the devastation of the earthquakes, and Christchurch is still recovering, with infrastructure etc.

Wellington is worth a visit, and in the South Island well there is just so much to choose from.

Lake Tekapo, Wanaka, Queenstown, Milford and Doubtful Sounds, Hamner Springs, Nelson

Overrated: Paris and Beijing

I can’t see myself ever going back to either when the pandemic lifts

Underrated: Montreal

What Paris should be....

I was in Paris on the day after 9/11 and stayed until I could get a flight Home.

Everyone was wonderful

I bought a CD in New Zealand of Kiri Te Kanawa's amazing our door concerts in Wellington, Christchurch and Auckland.

It doesn't seem to be available in the United States

I have wonderful memories of Kiri Te Kanawa singing in indoor concerts in both Wellington and Auckland, and one in the Hunter Valley outdoors north of Sydney, but outdoor concerts tend to attract people who are not classical fans, it become more about sharing some wine and chatting than listening to the Prima Donna

Auckland is just a city, its beauty is the harbour and the gulf islands.

Christchurch is quite charming, but that was before the devastation of the earthquakes, and Christchurch is still recovering, with infrastructure etc.

Wellington is worth a visit, and in the South Island well there is just so much to choose from.

Lake Tekapo, Wanaka, Queenstown, Milford and Doubtful Sounds, Hamner Springs, Nelson

Agree with all of that. I like Wellington with its hillsides around the harbour, but not so much for the wind that can make crossing Cook Strait to the South Island decidedly unpleasant. Thankfully that was not my experience last January! The city bills itself as the hippest little capital in the world, something that Canberra had a friendly debate about for the brief period when Singapore Airlines operated flights between the two, but sadly that flight didn't work out. Rotorua is a wee bit overrated, but worth a visit to see its volcanic springs. Queenstown is great, with jet boats and bungee jumping (not for me!), and three nights in an AirBnB with spectacular views of Lake Wakatipu was a highlight last year.

In Colorado, overrated would be the Coors Brewery Tour (or any brewery tour really...seen it once it's kind of the same). Underrated would be Denver itself in my opinion. A lot of people come to Colorado and instantly go the mountains (which you definitely should), but Denver has some really beautiful spots and some excellent restaurants/arts venues.

I lived in Boulder for two years and, like many of its residents, rarely went to Denver. There seemed to be a rivalry.

Huh? Almost everyone who visits Philadelphia wants to see the Liberty Bell, a symbol of liberty.

And while they are there, perhaps Independence Hall as well. Or is that something that doesn't meet with your approval as well.

Friends agree that Philadelphia punches above its weight, especially its cultural institutions, colonial neighborhoods and restaurants. The rolling countryside with its tidy and historic towns and villages to the north and west are also quite charming. Of course, like most of the US, some of the inner suburbs in Lower Bucks and Delaware County are squalor zones.

London Shopping:

Overrated - Harrod's (except for the Food Hall)

Underrated - Fortnum & Mason

London Sights:

Overrated: The London Eye

Underrated: Highgate Cemetary

Caribbean Snorkeling:

Overrated: Cozumel (better for divers)

Underrated: Roatan, Honduras and Buck Island, off St. Croix

Cakes and Coffee in Vienna:

Overrated: Hotel Sacher

Underrated: Cafe Demel

New York:

Overrated: Empire State Building

Underrated: The Cloisters

Stone Circles:

Overrated: Stonehenge

Underrated: Callanish Stones

Paris Churches:

Overrated: Sacre-Coeur, Montmartre

Underrated: Sainte-Chapelle

Belgium:

Overrated: Manneken Pis, Brussels

Underrated: Hans Memling Museum, Bruges

Natural Wonders of North America:

Overrated: Grand Canyon

Underrated: Canadian Rockies between Banff and Jasper

Regarding Paris Churches I agree with Sainte Chapelle ... The first time I went I was wondering what all the fuss was about...in the basement level... until I found the stairs up to the main attraction.

Sacre-Coeur, Montmartre I loved too. I was so lucky to be there on a day where the masonry was being cleaned. I have some great side by side pictures of the dirty grimy masonry next to the just cleaned masonry. Night and day difference. This was about 5 years ago so I assume it still glows.

Utah

Most overratted: Mormon Tabernacle

Most underratted: Monument Valley

Although just barely, the Monument Valley is, for the most part, in Arizona... Last Autumn I took a very handsome young Mexican physician on a tour of southern Utah and Arizona, including the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but the Navajo tribe decided to close the Monument Valley. Ostensibly due to Covid-19, but since one really only has to drive around, I'm not sure what the issue was.