Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

The secret to visiting places like Venice, Florence, and Sienna is to get a hotel and stay a few days. Tourist buses start rolling in around 9:30 or 10:00 and start departing around 2:30 or 3:00. Thus, in the relatively early morning and in the late afternoon and evening one has these cities to oneself and they are magic. I spent three weeks in both Venice and Florence and ten days in Sienna -- pure magic. When I was in Florence, I visited the Uffizi so many times that I got to know several of the room guards. They were so pleased that I returned for several visits that they went out of their way to show me numerous special and hidden treasures. Damn those were great days.

I really cannot put into words how much I hate and resent this fucking pandemic. Even at 80 I have a multitude of places and sites I need to visit. If I were 35 or 40, I could easily out wait the fucking thing but at 80 that is not necessarily the case.

I am confused about "tourist buses" when one could stay in Florence and/or Venice

I stayed in a hotel in Florence a very short walk to museums. And often went to the Uffizi around 3:30 in the afternoon. I have stayed in that hotel in late June and earlier in the Sping

L

I am confused about "tourist buses" when one could stay in Florence and/or Venice

I stayed in a hotel in Florence a very short walk to museums. And often went to the Uffizi around 3:30 in the afternoon. I have stayed in that hotel in late June and earlier in the Sping

Lots of cruise lines stop in Livorno for excursions to Florence and other parts of Tuscany. Its less than 60 miles from Livorno to Florence, so an easy tour bus ride away for thousands of excited cruisers.

L

Lots of cruise lines stop in Livorno for excursions to Florence and other parts of Tuscany. Its less than 60 miles from Livorno to Florence, so an easy tour bus ride away for thousands of excited cruisers.

Unfortunately, I have never been on a cruise.

I find it hard to believe that I'm not the only gay may in the world who prefers Madrid to Barcelona. The panhandling by African refugees is horrific in Baracelona and don't get in their way when they scatter upon seeing the local police. If you do you are likely to land on the sidewalk flat on you back. I'm also not a great fan of the Catalans. They are arrogant, self centered and seem to believe that they are many times better than the rest of the Spaniards. Now for something that will send some of you wild. I intensely dislike Antolnio Gaudi's architecture. Every time I look at Sagrada Familia or Casa Mila I get seasick.

There is indeed a lot to dislike about Paris (the crowds, the dirty streets, the long lines, etc.) BUT there is also a lot to like. Some of the out of the way museums and churches are wonderful. And no matter how crowded the city is it does have a very unique ambience. Dinning on one of the boats on the Seine with many bridges, churches and civic buildings outlined in lights has to be one of the most romantic excursions in the world. Now I've been several time and do not need to go back again but am so glad I did go -- it was wonderful.

I love London. It is a great walking city. Also I have found that as I have aged it's nice to speak the language. I have a long list of pubs that I visit on each visit. The theater in London during the winter is absolutely marvelous. Some many the the great English language actors appear on stage during that time.

Many would find Venice overrated - I don't. The art available all over the city is amazing especially if one is a fan of the Northern Italian Rennaissance. I doubt there is a more beautiful view than standing on the Rialto Bridge gazing up the Grand Canal at dusk. The lite shimmer, sparkles and dances off the water.

Perhaps be glad you were not in Madrid when General Francisco Franco was still alive. Dark, gloomy city in Winter

I've only been to Montreal, not Paris. Glad to see I'm not missing out too much

Paris is Paris

Visiting Paris "That was the greatest and finest moment of my life"

Adolf Hitler

Hitler's Nazi Army Kicked Out of Paris 73 Years Ago Friday, August 25 (businessinsider.com)

Obviously if you live in Vegas you already saw a smaller version of the Eiffel Tower.

WilliamM the first time I was in Spain Francisco Franco was still alive. I was there in 1970 and he died in 1975. Madrid wasn't all that gloomy but I wasn't there in the winter. As I remember it it was hotter than hell at the time which isn't all that unusual for Madrid in the summer.

I was somewhat ok with the rest of Spain in the Winter, and very glad to tour the Prado.

But I never ever gone back to Spain. I have mentioned before the vague thought of being in the same city as General Francisco Franco make me ill

Paris is Paris

Visiting Paris "That was the greatest and finest moment of my life"

Adolf Hitler

Hitler's Nazi Army Kicked Out of Paris 73 Years Ago Friday, August 25 (businessinsider.com)

Obviously if you live in Vegas you already saw a smaller version of the Eiffel Tower.

I love Paris at any time of the year, except January, February and March

Marylander1940 your post regarding how underrated Galician seafood is really struck home for me. I had some of the best seafood I've ever eaten, in my life, in Santiago de Compostela at "A Taberna do Bispo". The waiter was absolutely over the top with wonderful suggestions and just plain fun. We had such a great meal and such great fun that we went back again the next night. When the waiter saw us enter he rushed up to the hostess and insisted that she seat us in his section. That night he came up with a completely different assortment of wonderful dishes. As I remember it we tipped him an obscene amount. Ah such memories!!!!!

They can be good - haven't done a Mediterranean one yet.

Mediterranean was our only cruise so far, def. recommend it. If you afford it, do one of the premium lines.....we did Azamara, almost no kids, smaller ships can dock right at port and you can walk on/off instead of taking a tinder (smaller boat) to shore. Also, all inclusive (including alcohol + tips). You can watch for discounted trips on sites like cruisesonly.com (click on Cruise Deals).

Edited by JEC

Their underrated pick was Niagara Falls.

It is indeed quite magnificent. Besides just seeing the falls you can do the maid of the mist, journey behind the falls, take a helicopter tour over the falls and do ziplining over it as well. Although there is way more to do if you go to to the Canadian side of the falls. They have a strip called Clifton Hill with tons of cool shops, museums, arcades, restaurants. It's so much fun.

https://www.cliftonhill.com/niagara-falls-attractions

Mediterranean was our only cruise so far, def. recommend it. If you afford it, do one of the premium lines.....we did Azamara, almost no kids, smaller ships can dock right at port and you can walk on/off instead of taking a tinder (smaller boat) to shore. Also, all inclusive (including alcohol + tips). You can watch for discounted trips on sites like cruisesonly.com (click on Cruise Deals).

Yes, Azamara is highly-rated. I haven't done one yet because I have to pay more than the regular fare as a solo traveler, and haven't been willing to splurge on a luxury line. I think it is owned by Celebrity, which I have done before. Awesome food on Celebrity, and they have just started including gratuities, alcohol, and internet in their cruise fares.

I love cruising but have a rather unusual attitude toward doing so. I NEVER take a cruise that includes ports I want to see in depth: ie. arriving in the port of Rome, getting on a but at 8 a.m. and being driven to Rome, then make "photo stops" around the city and returning to the ship around 4 or 5 pm is a TOTAL waste of my time. For me cruising vacations are "crash vacations". They are great when visiting the islands of the Caribbean or the South Pacific. These ports are worth a day but not much more. On these cruises I relax and enjoy shipboard life.

The one exception to the above was when I took a Baltic Cruise with a friend. We were in St. Petersburg for two full days. I arranged to hire a local private guide and driver just for the two of us. I made out our itinerary prior to our arrival and the guide arranged everything. They were two long, frantic days but damn we saw and did a lot.

I bought a plane ticket to Rome, took a train to Florence where I met a college friend, and spent a week in Florence.

Enjoyed the restaurants, the city and the many museums.

The same in St. Peterson, except it was difficult to eat in restaurants because few people speak English so caught two operas in stead

I love cruising but have a rather unusual attitude toward doing so. I NEVER take a cruise that includes ports I want to see in depth: ie. arriving in the port of Rome, getting on a but at 8 a.m. and being driven to Rome, then make "photo stops" around the city and returning to the ship around 4 or 5 pm is a TOTAL waste of my time. For me cruising vacations are "crash vacations". They are great when visiting the islands of the Caribbean or the South Pacific. These ports are worth a day but not much more. On these cruises I relax and enjoy shipboard life.

The one exception to the above was when I took a Baltic Cruise with a friend. We were in St. Petersburg for two full days. I arranged to hire a local private guide and driver just for the two of us. I made out our itinerary prior to our arrival and the guide arranged everything. They were two long, frantic days but damn we saw and did a lot.

I'm hoping our next cruise will be several Greek islands, not sure when that will be. I'm generally averse to the idea of cruising, but the right combination of stops and time spent in points of embark/disembarkation would get me to do it again. Oh and the right cruiseline.....no theme nights, no formal attire, no forced seating arrangements, few children, and no gimmicks.

I'm hoping our next cruise will be several Greek islands, not sure when that will be. I'm generally averse to the idea of cruising, but the right combination of stops and time spent in points of embark/disembarkation would get me to do it again. Oh and the right cruiseline.....no theme nights, no formal attire, no forced seating arrangements, few children, and no gimmicks.

Norwegian is a mid-range cruise line that has freestyle cruising where you don't need to wear dressy clothes and it's open seating if you wish. Some higher-end lines like Azamara only require 'resort casual' at dinner, if I'm not mistaken. I try to travel outside of holiday times to avoid kids everywhere, but most lines have kid's clubs and activities that keep the rugrats from getting under foot.