Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

I saw an interesting feature about the most overrated & most underrated tourist attraction in each state. For example, Nevada's most overrated was the Las Vegas Strip & most underrated was Red Rock Canyon. I agree about the Strip, but my underrated pick would be the Valley of Fire - huge red rock formations in a valley of white silica sand.

For my old home state of Massachusetts, most overrated was Plymouth Rock - 100% agree! I was expecting something substantial, maybe not the size of Gilbraltar but at least a good-sized boulder. Nope, they might as well call it Plymouth Pebble. The most underrated is the Berkshires, the mountains in western Mass. The Berkshires are nice, but my pick would be the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.

I thought it would be interesting if forum members posted their picks for their own state or city. Final thought: most overrated for New York was the Statue of Liberty. Again, totally agree! Don't ever climb the damn thing. The stairs are very long, steep & narrow, and when you finally get to the crown, the windows are dingy as hell & don't even face Manhattan. Their underrated pick was Niagara Falls. I'd nominate the Gaiety Theater, but it closed years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GpLwTBFOnE:89

I don't want to bring a subject from another forum but this is too funny and ironic not to be posted.

3894bb7863bed2705892357970d15068.jpg

Two suggestions for Massachusetts

Walden Pond in Concord

Statue of the minute man in Lexington

Reminds me of one of Cliff Claven's little known 'factoids' on Cheers - that the Minute Men were very small individuals and the word 'minute' had been mispronounced as the word for 60 seconds, rather than the word for tiny...

Reminds me of one of Cliff Claven's little known 'factoids' on Cheers - that the Minute Men were very small individuals and the word 'minute' had been mispronounced as the word for 60 seconds, rather than the word for tiny...

I have driven by that statue in Lexington so often without realizing that

Manhattan

Overrated: Canal St. Why anyone wants to go there, I'll never understand.

Underrated: The Museum of the City of NY. I have seen some awesome exhibits there. One of the best was the 200th anniversary of the development of the grid.

One of my favorite places in NYC is the Lower East Side Tenement Museum on Orchard Street, if you want to see how the other class lived in Manhattan in the 19th century.

One of my favorite places in NYC is the Lower East Side Tenement Museum on Orchard Street, if you want to see how the other class lived in Manhattan in the 19th century.

I agree - it really is a fantastic experience!

Unfortunately the museum itself is in some very serious financial difficulties resulting from Covid. I believe they’ve laid off something like 80% of staff, with remaining staff taking significant pay cuts. I’d be very sad if this museum became a victim of Covid and shut down altogether.

I keep meaning to go there but somehow I always forget. Might have to be my first outing once I feel I can take the train to the city.

• 2 weeks later...

The way to beat the crowds in places like Yosemite and Yellowstone is to stay in a hotel or lodge in the center of the park. Doing that one can get up early and get out before the crowds hit the road. If one is up and out right after sunrise they will have the place to themselves until around 10 a.m. One can then return to the hotel/lodge and have a leisurely breakfast while the crowds inundate the place. The same is true of the late afternoon. The day crowds usually depart around three or four and the parks become peaceful and wonderful again.

The way to beat the crowds in places like Yosemite and Yellowstone is to stay in a hotel or lodge in the center of the park. Doing that one can get up early and get out before the crowds hit the road. If one is up and out right after sunrise they will have the place to themselves until around 10 a.m. One can then return to the hotel/lodge and have a leisurely breakfast while the crowds inundate the place. The same is true of the late afternoon. The day crowds usually depart around three or four and the parks become peaceful and wonderful again.

Another way is to come into Yosemite in the north from Tahoe/Reno or the south from Fish Camp where you can shoot direct up to Glacier Point. El Capitan is the only thing worth seeing in the valley and it's not worth the backups on El Portal/140.

I once dated a ballet dancer who lived in a tenement building in Alphabet City. The kitchen had an actual clawfoot bathtub. Way too bohemian for my taste, but the german ballet dancer made up for the inconvenience of staying in the walkup.

Another way is to come into Yosemite in the north from Tahoe/Reno or the south from Fish Camp where you can shoot direct up to Glacier Point. El Capitan is the only thing worth seeing in the valley and it's not worth the backups on El Portal/140.

There's no quick way to Glacier Point, not even from the valley. Coming in from either the north or from Fish Camp is quite a schlep. Obviously lots of people would disagree with your opinion of Yosemite Valley. Also, El Capitan is not visible from Glacier Point, although it can be seen via a fairly easy hike to nearby Taft Point, or Sentinel Dome.

PB061149-gp-people-20141103-jtrust-web_2.jpg?maxwidth=1200&maxheight=1200&autorotate=false

My brother Rick lives near the East entrance to Yellowstone National Park. There are several motels there as well, perfect for tourists who want an early start in the park.. Gardner at the West entrance has motels also.

My brother writes about the wolves of Yellowstone. His first book included an introduction by Robert Redford

Edited by WilliamM

My brother Rick lives near the East entrance to Yellowstone National Park. There are several motels there as well, perfect for tourists who want an early start in the park.. Gardner at the West entrance has motels also.

My brother writes about the wolves of Yellowstone. His first book included an introduction by Robert Redford

Yellowstone is definitely on my bucket list.

I've been to Jellystone however, and it was alright. Except for this annoying bear that was wearing a hat, collar and tie, and who kept trying to steal my picnic basket. The arrogant bastard kept telling me he was smarter than the average bear. He finally left me alone after I gave a swift kick to his even more annoying bowtie-wearing little friend, and sent him flying. He may have ended up with a boo-boo.

.... He may have ended up with a boo-boo.

PhotoBook.Booboo.Cover.jpg

1f634bb419a904141fa136ac3adc0197.jpg

Nils Allen "Booboo" Stewart Jr. (born January 21, 1994) is an American actor, singer and visual artist. He is known for playing Seth Clearwater in The Twilight Saga, Warpath in X-Men: Days of Future Past, and Jay in the Disney television film franchise Descendants.

Overrated: Hawaiian Kona Coffee

Underrated: 100% Puerto Rican Coffee

Overrated: Netherlands, Israel and Brazil as Gay Tourist Destinations

Underrated: Italy, Greece and Argentina as Gay Tourist Destinations

Overrated: Day Trip to Tijuana, Baja California, MX

Underrated: Day Trip to Victoria, Vancouver Island, CA

Edited by Danny-Darko

Overrated: Hawaiian Kona Coffee

Underrated: 100% Puerto Rican Coffee

Overrated: Day Trip to Tijuana, Baja California, MX

Underrated: Day Trip to Victoria, Vancouver Island, CA

I completely agree about Victoria Vancouver Island.

On Brazil, on my first trip there in 1974, I saw and heard the great Baden Powell perform in a small club. Guitar and single

San Francisco:

Overrated: The Golden Gate Bridge - don't ever go there, especially on a bicycle, it's just a bridge

Underrated: Alcatraz - go there instead!!!!

Or Sacramento

If I can add to this answer:

Overrated: Visiting Alcatraz for its “haunted” history, no thanks in large part to those ghost hunting shows.

Underrated: Visiting Alcatraz for its actual history.

Based on yesterday's press conference, Biden's brain fog, lack of awareness and weak appearance I doubt he will live to Christmas. Pure elder abuse!

@Danny-Darko, As someone who's always updating his travel bucket list, I'm wondering about your reasons for Israel and Brazil being overrated as Gay Tourist Destinations. I'm also wonder why you think Italy, Greece and Argentina are underrated in this category. I'm not disagreeing with your assessment... just trying to be a smart traveler. :) Thanks!

Are you kidding?

nope. standing at the base of El Capitan is great but most people would rather be on Glacier Point than down in the valley in traffic jams driving to crummy fast food in the village crowded with 100's of thousands of others.

d347b7a4-5e8c-11e7-bc15-b8185cac8c10.jpg

even the overlook halfway up glacier point road of half-dome and the falls is more stunning than the parking lots and shops in the valleyimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWisKjhf9piB3ZYdjatVdKvOeUnDz1VVbWJQ&usqp=CAUimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFSDDXy6Ys9ZxDmngi486NObR_rsmboOFlXg&usqp=CAU

Edited by tassojunior

nope. standing at the base of El Capitan is great but most people would rather be on Glacier Point than down in the valley in traffic jams driving to crummy fast food in the village crowded with 100's of thousands of others.

the overlook on glacier point road of half-dome is more stunning than the parking lots and shops in the valley.

The overlook is wonderful. ADDITIONALLY, even though Beautiful places such as the Valley draw lots of admirers it doesn't justify trash talking the Valley as so many do. If you are looking for non-crummy (but not great) food revisit the Stunning dining room at the Ahwahnee (I presume you have).

In addition to, not instead of, the Valley I recommend people visit Yosemite's Tuolumne meadows east of the Valley. I love rock climbing there and I love just being there.

I completely agree about Victoria Vancouver Island.

On Brazil, on my first trip there in 1974, I saw and heard the great Baden Powell perform in a small club. Guitar and single

Yes, and if you can, travel through the San Juan Islands to Victoria from Anacortes, WA. The San Juan Islands are amazing.

Also, if you have time, visit Sooke Harbor just outside Victoria as well as the gardens of course. And if you have even more time Tofino, a few hours north west of Victoria, is gorgeous and very fun during storm season.

If it's your cup of tea, have tea at the Empress in Victoria. One of the better Afternoon Teas I've experienced. (I know, so gay).