Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

Why not spend ten days in St. Petersburg, rather than just two and really get to know the city. Stockholm is worth 10 days as well.

With 10 days in Stockholm you get to know the neighborhoods and some of the residents

I'd like to do 5 days in St. Petersburg and 5 in Moscow, but I've heard the process to get a visa is kind of complicated, including sending away your passport.

I flew to St. Petersburg in 2005 and stayed for a week during the White Nights in June

Back then I was able to obtain a visa through a tour company even though I was not going on a tour. Not sure if still possible.

There is no reason why one can not buy a plane ticket with a visa and just go.

Moscow and St. Petersburg might be too little for only 10 days

I'd like to do 5 days in St. Petersburg and 5 in Moscow, but I've heard the process to get a visa is kind of complicated, including sending away your passport.

Russian visas are a pain, period. First, there are 4 or 5 different types, and woe be to you if you don’t adhere to the rules associated with your visa. You will also need “an invitation” from a recognised Russian entity to submit with your visa application. When you get there, you fill out a migration card at passport control - don’t lose it!! You will need it to check in to your hotel(s), and when you exit. It goes without saying you should not stay past your visa’s expiry, but if you do, you will not be allowed to leave. You’ll have to stay at your own expense while you wait for an exit visa to be granted.

All in all, it’s about $250 for the visa - more for a multiple entry which is good for 3 or 5 years, depending on your country.

NB: this info is if you’re going on your own - if you’re going as part of a tour, the tour operator normally handles all this for you.

Russian visas are a pain, period. First, there are 4 or 5 different types, and woe be to you if you don’t adhere to the rules associated with your visa. You will also need “an invitation” from a recognised Russian entity to submit with your visa application. When you get there, you fill out a migration card at passport control - don’t lose it!! You will need it to check in to your hotel(s), and when you exit. It goes without saying you should not stay past your visa’s expiry, but if you do, you will not be allowed to leave. You’ll have to stay at your own expense while you wait for an exit visa to be granted.

All in all, it’s about $250 for the visa - more for a multiple entry which is good for 3 or 5 years, depending on your country.

NB: this info is if you’re going on your own - if you’re going as part of a tour, the tour operator normally handles all this for you.

I gave up on a Russian visa after a month. You almost have to hire a professional. You have to prove your grandfathers' nationalities among other things.

There is a loophole to StPete from Helsinki on a ferry where you can stay, I think 48 hours w/o visa.

I gave up on a Russian visa after a month. You almost have to hire a professional. You have to prove your grandfathers' nationalities among other things.

There is a loophole to StPete from Helsinki on a ferry where you can stay, I think 48 hours w/o visa.

Again I received a visa through a tour company in 2005 even though I was going on my own. Do not try for a visa without doing extension research

And this process is a result of a new treaty to make visas easier to obtain! ?

As a point of interest, there are agencies sanctioned by the Russian government that you can hire to do all he legwork for you. Of course, said agencies will charge you well for the convenience of their services.

Yes - cruise ships, and the ferry are exempt from visas, but you cannot stay on land overnight, and the exemption is only good for 48 hours.

Paris has never been and will never be overrated. Anyone who thinks differently should just stop traveling and spend their money on something else.

I studied in Paris and loved living there for a short time.......many years ago. BUT now it's very overcrowded and way over-priced. Tourist trap. A decent tiny room in a 2* hotel can be $300 and anything in a 3* is around $500 and up, mostly up. (by contrast you can often get a 5* in Prague for $100). Food is more outrageous. It's a place to go once but not for extended stays. (Parisians hate Paris and leave it for the beach or countryside every chance). I connect there sometimes but usually avoid stopovers because the airport is so far out and hotels so outrageous.

I studied in Paris and loved living there for a short time.......many years ago. BUT now it's very overcrowded and way over-priced. Tourist trap. A decent tiny room in a 2* hotel can be $300 and anything in a 3* is around $500 and up, mostly up. (by contrast you can often get a 5* in Prague for $100). Food is more outrageous. It's a place to go once but not for extended stays. (Parisians hate Paris and leave it for the beach or countryside every chance). I connect there sometimes but usually avoid stopovers because the airport is so far out and hotels so outrageous.

I have visited Paris many times and completely disagree. In the days after 9/11 it was almost impossible to get a flight to the States. Fine with me..

I have a love hate relationship with St. Petersburg. I love the architecture of the various palaces and churches. I love the beautiful floors, ceilings and the interior décor of the various palaces and churches. I love many of the wonderful gardens and fountains. I love several of the museums. There are several palaces, churches, and museums that I did not have time to visit and would thus like to go back for a few additional days. I hate the city as a city. I am a city guy and love wondering around and getting lost in a new city. I love dropping into a coffee bar for a cup of coffee or having lunch in out of the way restaurant. I love window shopping in the afternoon and dropping into interesting shops. Unfortunately, NONE of these city activities are readily available in St. Petersburg or any other Russian city for that matter. I found myself getting claustrophobic in St. Petersburg. I do not speak Russian and very few of the St. Petersburg residents speak English which created a serious barrier.

Auckland is just a city, its beauty is the harbour and the gulf islands.

Christchurch is quite charming, but that was before the devastation of the earthquakes, and Christchurch is still recovering, with infrastructure etc.

Wellington is worth a visit, and in the South Island well there is just so much to choose from.

Lake Tekapo, Wanaka, Queenstown, Milford and Doubtful Sounds, Hamner Springs, Nelson

I thought the Te Papa museum in Wellington NZ was a wonderful museum, not for its art (which is fine enough), but for its charming perfectlyi designed exhibits and well-organized collections

Some overcrowding and high prices don't make Paris overrated or a tourist trap, though. Leaving cities for the beach or countryside whenever there's a chance is very common in Europe, and not a sign that people hate their city. The airport (CDG) is just ~30-45 mins from the center of Paris, which is expected because the airport can't be right next to the Eiffel Tower. And airports being that distance away from major cities is not unusual (e.g., NYC, Rome, London...)

Some overcrowding and high prices don't make Paris overrated or a tourist trap, though. Leaving cities for the beach or countryside whenever there's a chance is very common in Europe, and not a sign that people hate their city. The airport (CDG) is just ~30-45 mins from the center of Paris, which is expected because the airport can't be right next to the Eiffel Tower. And airports being that distance away from major cities is not unusual (e.g., NYC, Rome, London...)

"Some overcrowding and high prices" was passed a few levels back. Ridiculous now. And if CDG were closer, like Zurich, I'd do more stop-overs. For those of us used to Paris it's just too much now compared to other places. I do like to stop over at Christmas for the Galleries LaFayette. But never tourist season.

Over the last couple of decades, I have learned that I cannot judge a city by its airport. The reason is that probably 90% of all big city airports are terrible and are in inconvenient locations. The following examples should suffice. Kennedy, LAX, Miami, Houston, London (Heathrow), Amsterdam (horrible name), Paris, Milan, Bangkok, and Rome. This is assuredly not a complete list. They are all in impossible locations and are nightmares to navigate. The only big city airport that is nice is, in my opinion, Singapore.

I have a love hate relationship with St. Petersburg. I love the architecture of the various palaces and churches. I love the beautiful floors, ceilings and the interior décor of the various palaces and churches. I love many of the wonderful gardens and fountains. I love several of the museums. There are several palaces, churches, and museums that I did not have time to visit and would thus like to go back for a few additional days. I hate the city as a city. I am a city guy and love wondering around and getting lost in a new city. I love dropping into a coffee bar for a cup of coffee or having lunch in out of the way restaurant. I love window shopping in the afternoon and dropping into interesting shops. Unfortunately, NONE of these city activities are readily available in St. Petersburg or any other Russian city for that matter. I found myself getting claustrophobic in St. Petersburg. I do not speak Russian and very few of the St. Petersburg residents speak English which created a serious barrier.

Well, one could go to the opera in St. Petersburg, or a symphony.. Or enjoy the various negborhoods, visit Novbokov's home and enjoy his amazing butterfly collection.

I was a bit happy to fly next to Munich where many people do speak English and food and beer are truly wonderful.

When to return to St Petersburg, I would be sure to stay in the neighborhood close to the Neva River and the amazing Russian Art Museum.

Over the last couple of decades, I have learned that I cannot judge a city by its airport. The reason is that probably 90% of all big city airports are terrible and are in inconvenient locations. The following examples should suffice. Kennedy, LAX, Miami, Houston, London (Heathrow), Amsterdam (horrible name), Paris, Milan, Bangkok, and Rome. This is assuredly not a complete list. They are all in impossible locations and are nightmares to navigate. The only big city airport that is nice is, in my opinion, Singapore.

I like most of airports in Germany especially Munich and Dusseldorf. Also the airport in Stockholm and the airport in Sarajevo..

Edited by WilliamM

San Diego and Zurich are good choices for 1 or 2 day stopovers on long trips, as is LAX for Santa Monica/Venice. Portland and Honolulu also. Most other hubs are too far out and (like Paris) awful airports to deal with.

Every city has tourist traps. There is no doubt that the Grevin Wax Museum (Paris’ Madame Tussauds) is a tourist trap. However, on the other hand San Chappelle is one of the most glorious creations of man. Both are in Paris. Some would consider taking a dinner cruise of the Seine to be a tourist trap experience. I found, doing it once, a wonderfully romantic experience.

Every city has tourist traps. There is no doubt that the Grevin Wax Museum (Paris’ Madame Tussauds) is a tourist trap. However, on the other hand San Chappelle is one of the most glorious creations of man. Both are in Paris. Some would consider taking a dinner cruise of the Seine to be a tourist trap experience. I found, doing it once, a wonderfully romantic experience.

Aren't there nice hotels in the middle of the Seine. In Paris. I stayed in one of those hotels right after 9/11. Not sure if the hotel is still open

I'm surprised by how many people don't go for Paris, which I find incredibly delightful. All the parks, cafes, museums, the metro. I just love it. St. Petersburg is also full of nice parks in the summer. I'm pretty fluent in French and can get by in Russian, so maybe that helps. Too bad getting visas for Russia is such a pain in the ass.

The train from CDG to Paris central is an easy ride. I've been going to Paris long enough that the train wasn't an option and you had to take a ~ 45 min taxi ride (and this was before European cars had catalytic converters - it stank!). If you can travel with a single roller bag (and maybe a knapsack) the train is the way to go.

I've been to Paris in September and in February. In September, it was awash with tourist which, for me, makes the city less appealing (still appealing, but less so). But the February trip was entirely different. Loved it (!) in spite of having to wear warm cloths and, on a couple days, some rain gear.