Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

I used to enjoy taking visitors around, showing them the sites whether in NYC or when I’m overseas. Now, I’m more likely to buy them an A-Z Guide and send them on their way. But, if they want to do museums or more off the beaten path types of things, I still enjoy going on those. If I’m on my own, I really enjoy just going out walking, exploring - and if I get lost, I find a pub and call a taxi. I also like doing something cultural and unique to the place I’m in - sumo practice in Tokyo, theatre in London, music in NYC, etc.. One fun evening in Hong Kong was seeing the Chieftains perform with a Classical Chinese musical ensemble.

NYC

Overrated - Empire State Building, Times Square, Macy’s Herald Square

Underrated - Explorers Club, Green Wood Cemetery or Old Calvary Cemetery, The Strand

Philadelphia

Overrated - The Liberty Bell

Underrated - Japanese House & Garden

London

Overrated - Harrod’s, London Eye, Changing of the Guard

Underrated - Highgate Cemetery, Wallace Collection, Tea Dances at the Waldorf, meal at White’s or Brook’s

Dublin

Overrated - Guinness Brewery, Grafton Street

Underrated - Irish Jewish Museum, Oratory of the Sacred Heart, Little Museum of Dublin, Gravedigger’s Pub, Confession Box pub, a meal at Stephen’s Green Hibernian Club

Hong Kong

Underrated - The Jade Market, a meal at The Hong Kong Club

Sydney

Underrated - Art Gallery of NSW, The Lord Nelson, Bondi or Manly Beach (yes, probably overrated but the sights one sees can never be over appreciated)

The question was about tourist sites within a state. The Liberty Bell is not an historically important artifact; the legends about it are not verified. It was first used in the 1830s by abolitionists as a promotional item for their cause, and later in the century as a promotional symbol for the city of Philadelphia. It is simply a metal object in a glass case on Independence Mall, hardly worth a visit for its own sake.

I always thought the crack in it was symbolic, sorta like “don’t take freedom for granted” or “liberty ain’t was it’s cracked up to be”, depending on your outlook. I know I went to visit it in July of 1976 as a sort of pilgrimage during the Bicentennial celebrations.

I was surprised at how few people there were about; I recall being all by myself and it was in the middle of the day.

I always thought the crack in it was symbolic, sorta like “don’t take freedom for granted” or “liberty ain’t was it’s cracked up to be”, depending on your outlook. I know I went to visit it in July of 1976 as a sort of pilgrimage during the Bicentennial celebrations.

I was surprised at how few people there were about; I recall being all by myself and it was in the middle of the day.

That's because there were threats of violent demonstrations that day which minimized the number of visitors. I was a child at the time, but if I remember correctly, there were 15,000 National Guard soldiers on-site in anticipation.

That's because there were threats of violent demonstrations that day which minimized the number of visitors. I was a child at the time, but if I remember correctly, there were 15,000 National Guard soldiers on-site in anticipation.

I wasn't there on July 4th. Maybe a week or so later. I assumed everyone had gone home with hangovers.

Overated

Munich opera

Underated

English gardens in Summer (Munich)

it has long been my belief that God vacations at Longwood!

No, God vacations in Valley Forge National Park, which surprisingly has not been mentioned. And the Brandywine Art Museum has not been mentioned, or the Barnes Foundation in center City Philadelphia

I wasn't there on July 4th. Maybe a week or so later. I assumed everyone had gone home with hangovers.

I purposely got out of the city at the beginning of July that year, because I expected it to be overloaded with tourists, and went to Italy.

I purposely got out of the city at the beginning of July that year, because I expected it to be overloaded with tourists, and went to Italy.

Mayor Frank Rizzo told visitors not to come to Philadelphia on July 4th because "it would become too dangerous.". In fact, it was a truly wonderful holiday, as was most of June and July of 1976.

I still remember that Summer as being my best in Philadelphia.

When Mr. Rizzo died I stood in line to honor him, and surprising I have never seen him in person, despite working for the city of Philadelphia.

(Mainly to meet his wife and children).

Overated

Munich opera

Underated

English gardens in Summer (Munich)

No, God vacations in Valley Forge National Park, which surprisingly has not been mentioned. And the Brandywine Art Museum has not been mentioned, or the Barnes Foundation in center City Philadelphia

I agree with all of your spots with the exception of the Barnes, which I believe is overrated.

Mayor Frank Rizzo told visitors not to come to Philadelphia on July 4th because "it would become too dangerous.". In fact, it was a truly wonderful holiday, as was most of June and July of 1976.

I still remember that Summer as being my best in Philadelphia.

When Mr. Rizzo died I stood in line to honor him, and surprising I have never seen him in person, despite working for the city of Philadelphia.

(Mainly to meet his wife and children).

Remember the KYW “catch the spirit, the spirit of ‘76” jingle?

I saw an interesting feature about the most overrated & most underrated tourist attraction in each state. For example, Nevada's most overrated was the Las Vegas Strip & most underrated was Red Rock Canyon. I agree about the Strip, but my underrated pick would be the Valley of Fire - huge red rock formations in a valley of white silica sand.

For my old home state of Massachusetts, most overrated was Plymouth Rock - 100% agree! I was expecting something substantial, maybe not the size of Gilbraltar but at least a good-sized boulder. Nope, they might as well call it Plymouth Pebble. The most underrated is the Berkshires, the mountains in western Mass. The Berkshires are nice, but my pick would be the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.

I thought it would be interesting if forum members posted their picks for their own state or city. Final thought: most overrated for New York was the Statue of Liberty. Again, totally agree! Don't ever climb the damn thing. The stairs are very long, steep & narrow, and when you finally get to the crown, the windows are dingy as hell & don't even face Manhattan. Their underrated pick was Niagara Falls. I'd nominate the Gaiety Theater, but it closed years ago.

As a resident of MA, I def agree with you @ Plymouth Rock. On underrated, I agree the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is spectacular, another underrated treasure might be Tanglewood - summer home of Boston Pops, theatre and other concerts (in the Berkshires), I have tix to see John Legend there in August.

I find it hard to believe that I'm not the only gay may in the world who prefers Madrid to Barcelona. The panhandling by African refugees is horrific in Baracelona and don't get in their way when they scatter upon seeing the local police. If you do you are likely to land on the sidewalk flat on you back. I'm also not a great fan of the Catalans. They are arrogant, self centered and seem to believe that they are many times better than the rest of the Spaniards. Now for something that will send some of you wild. I intensely dislike Antolnio Gaudi's architecture. Every time I look at Sagrada Familia or Casa Mila I get seasick.

There is indeed a lot to dislike about Paris (the crowds, the dirty streets, the long lines, etc.) BUT there is also a lot to like. Some of the out of the way museums and churches are wonderful. And no matter how crowded the city is it does have a very unique ambience. Dinning on one of the boats on the Seine with many bridges, churches and civic buildings outlined in lights has to be one of the most romantic excursions in the world. Now I've been several time and do not need to go back again but am so glad I did go -- it was wonderful.

I love London. It is a great walking city. Also I have found that as I have aged it's nice to speak the language. I have a long list of pubs that I visit on each visit. The theater in London during the winter is absolutely marvelous. Many of the great English language actors appear on stage during that time.

Many would find Venice overrated - I don't. The art available all over the city is amazing especially if one is a fan of the Northern Italian Rennaissance. I doubt there is a more beautiful view than standing on the Rialto Bridge gazing up the Grand Canal at dusk. The lite shimmer, sparkles and dances off the water.

Edited by Epigonos

I agree with all of your spots with the exception of the Barnes, which I believe is overrated.

Why do you believe the Barnes Foundation is overrated? The Matisse, Cezanne, Gauguin painting alone are worth the price of admission. Also Goya, Picasso, Van Gogh, Soutine.

Hope it isn't because the paintings are now available to many more people in downtown Philadelphia,

Why do you believe the Barnes Foundation is overrated? The Matisse, Cezanne, Gauguin painting alone are worth the price of admission. Also Goya, Picasso, Van Gogh, Soutine.

Hope it isn't because the paintings are now available to many more people in downtown Philadelphia,

I was only there once. It was a bit of a jumble. I’m not a Gauguin fan, nor did I care for that Russian artist. Yes, the others you mentioned were superb. I’m glad I went, but it didn’t wow me enough to return, not that I’m in Philadelphia that often. As for the last sentence, I only experienced it in Center City and it wasn’t crowded at all the day I was there. I’m vaguely aware that it formerly was somewhere on the Main Line.

I find it hard to believe that I'm not the only gay may in the world who prefers Madrid to Barcelona. The panhandling by African refugees is horrific in Baracelona and don't get in their way when they scatter upon seeing the local police. If you do you are likely to land on the sidewalk flat on you back. I'm also not a great fan of the Catalans. They are arrogant, self centered and seem to believe that they are many times better than the rest of the Spaniards. Now for something that will send some of you wild. I intensely dislike Antolnio Gaudi's architecture. Every time I look at Sagrada Familia or Casa Mila I get seasick.

There is indeed a lot to dislike about Paris (the crowds, the dirty streets, the long lines, etc.) BUT there is also a lot to like. Some of the out of the way museums and churches are wonderful. And no matter how crowded the city is it does have a very unique ambience. Dinning on one of the boats on the Seine with many bridges, churches and civic buildings outlined in lights has to be one of the most romantic excursions in the world. Now I've been several time and do not need to go back again but am so glad I did go -- it was wonderful.

I love London. It is a great walking city. Also I have found that as I have aged it's nice to speak the language. I have a long list of pubs that I visit on each visit. The theater in London during the winter is absolutely marvelous. Some many the the great English language actors appear on stage during that time.

Many would find Venice overrated - I don't. The art available all over the city is amazing especially if one is a fan of the Northern Italian Rennaissance. I doubt there is a more beautiful view than standing on the Rialto Bridge gazing up the Grand Canal at dusk. The lite shimmer, sparkles and dances off the water.

Add me to the Madrid column. Barcelona is nice enough, but I can't say I love it. Madrid, on the other hand, I love Love LOVE! And like you, I don't like Gaudí architecture. I saw a rendering of what Sagrada Familia will look like when finished. Eek! I thought it looked hideous!

Venice is magic. I can walk around for hours/days and just soak it all in. But best to avoid it on the weekends because the number of tourists doubles and the crowds get to be too much.

Overrated: The White House - I was shocked at how small it is and how almost disrespectful the visitors were. I got dressed in my Sunday best for it, because it's the WHITE HOUSE, and when we got there....OMG. People were dressed like they were going to Walmart!!!! I couldn't believe the President actually lives there. I'm still in denial. I've seen bigger mansions that are more ornate and my expectations were high because of what I've seen on TV. But the reality was a let down.

Underrated: We took a cruise to see a Canadian fjord. The tour guide said "welcome to paradise" and it truly was. To see a natural waterfall made by a glacier and the surrounding nature was breath taking. Nothing beats natures true beauty.

Add me to the Madrid column. Barcelona is nice enough, but I can't say I love it. Madrid, on the other hand, I love Love LOVE! And like you, I don't like Gaudí architecture. I saw a rendering of what Sagrada Familia will look like when finished. Eek! I thought it looked hideous!

Venice is magic. I can walk around for hours/days and just soak it all in. But best to avoid it on the weekends because the number of tourists doubles and the crowds get to be too much.

Our last trip pre-COVID was Spain: Malaga/Granada Madrid and San Sebastian (+ Tangier Morocco). 2of 3 days in Madrid we both had a GI issue that kept us at the hotel! We did a one-day walking tour of the highlights but were so disappointed we didn't experience more.....

We did Venice in high season, 10 huge cruise ships in port. Nightmare! Had some great meals, but literally couldn't get near the main attractions. Would like to return off season.

The secret to visiting places like Venice, Florence, and Sienna is to get a hotel and stay a few days. Tourist day buses start rolling in around 9:30 or 10:00 and start departing around 2:30 or 3:00. Thus, in the relatively early morning and in the late afternoon and evening one has these cities to oneself and they are magic. I spent three weeks in both Venice and Florence and ten days in Sienna -- pure magic. When I was in Florence, I visited the Uffizi so many times that I got to know several of the room guards. They were so pleased that I returned for several visits that they went out of their way to show me numerous special and hidden treasures. Damn those were great days.

I really cannot put into words how much I hate and resent this fucking pandemic. Even at 80 I have a multitude of places and sites I need to visit. If I were 35 or 40, I could easily out wait the fucking thing but at 80 that is not necessarily the case.

Edited by Epigonos

After Philadelphia, where I stayed for 3 days, I went to Cape Cod, my first time to P-Town. I had a blast every night. The weather was gorgeous and the men were just as hot.

Yes

I was only there once. It was a bit of a jumble. I’m not a Gauguin fan, nor did I care for that Russian artist. Yes, the others you mentioned were superb. I’m glad I went, but it didn’t wow me enough to return, not that I’m in Philadelphia that often. As for the last sentence, I only experienced it in Center City and it wasn’t crowded at all the day I was there. I’m vaguely aware that it formerly was somewhere on the Main Line.

Yes, the Barnes Foundation is a bit of jumble.

I keep forgetting the museum has paintings by Goya and El Greco. The Van Gogh paintings are easy because his art works are so we'll known. Cezanne is one of my favorite artist, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art also has many Cezanne paintings