Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

nope. standing at the base of El Capitan is great but most people would rather be on Glacier Point than down in the valley in traffic jams driving to crummy fast food in the village crowded with 100's of thousands of others.

d347b7a4-5e8c-11e7-bc15-b8185cac8c10.jpg

even the overlook halfway up glacier point road of half-dome and the falls is more stunning than the parking lots and shops in the valleyimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWisKjhf9piB3ZYdjatVdKvOeUnDz1VVbWJQ&usqp=CAUimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFSDDXy6Ys9ZxDmngi486NObR_rsmboOFlXg&usqp=CAU

The photo you showed in the lower left, of El Capitan, is taken from Tunnel View, which is in the valley. To see El Capitan from anywhere near Glacier Point, the closest would be Sentinel Dome, which is a 2.2 mile hike. This is the view of El Capitan from Sentinel Dome:

7041898_medium_1555105207.jpg

Although I've never been there, the view shown in the top photo in your post is apparently the view from the top of Half Dome, which is an exceedingly much more difficult hike than to the top of Sentinel Dome (the hike to the top of Half Dome is considered one of the most difficult hikes anywhere if done as a day hike):

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/local-experts-offer-how-to-tips-on-visiting-yosemite-national-park/

Edited by Unicorn

@Unicorn

Tunnel View is the viewpoint halfway up glacier point road I mentioned. I don't see why you consider it as being "in the valley".

I assumed the point over the valley commercial/camp area was glacier point. it looks just like it. glacier point isn't just the amphitheater

My point is that there are beautiful alternatives to el portal/140 from Tahoe/Mono Lake and Fish Camp that avoid the miles-long backups to get into the central yosemite valley area.

If you are looking for non-crummy (but not great) food revisit the Stunning dining room at the Ahwahnee

concur.

We've stayed at the Ahwahnee twice, two days first visit, five the second -- it's an amazing place to stay; very convenient to collapse in front of one of the massive fireplaces with a drink after a long day hiking. Definitely looking forward to our next visit.

Tunnel View is the viewpoint halfway up glacier point road I mentioned. I don't see why you consider it as being "in the valley".

I assumed the point over the valley commercial/camp area was glacier point. it looks just like it. glacier point isn't just the amphitheater

My point is that there are beautiful alternatives to el portal/140 from Tahoe/Mono Lake and Fish Camp that avoid the miles-long backups to get into the central yosemite valley area.

I'm sorry, but it's obvious you're quite unfamiliar with the area, not just because most of the photos you posted were not from the place you thought they were. Although one does have to pass Tunnel View to get to the Glacier Point Road from the Valley, it is most definitely in the valley and most definitely not on the Glacier Point Road. If you come from Fish Camp and drive directly to Glacier Point Road as you advised, you will not get to Tunnel View. The distance from the Yosemite Valley Lodge to Tunnel View is 7.5 miles, and that's only because you have to back-track some to get there. The distance from the Yosemite Valley Lodge to Glacier Point is 30 miles, so the drive to Tunnel View is not anywhere near half-way from the lodge, let alone half-way up the Glacier Point Road.

XjjL97oyPOHpnco8j5d-DkBl3_AaN_i4hiZBlaFYF2f5ZhuTU4Bgnq40gOl_6wz-UgQdqmZqTX1XvDJld0GewoFsEONA

ht8VRij9N7D-3-D2_XfskgQW33HB3xw7Zg-onRGIUJaYq8-TgWuNzoesPANXUkwcqEGSyMwqoYtTomGDEvZHiyTCv-ImC7tIj-P2UmOXSRsZK4-9rB8VQ9Ija2nQ-A

Edited by Unicorn

concur.

We've stayed at the Ahwahnee twice, two days first visit, five the second -- it's an amazing place to stay; very convenient to collapse in front of one of the massive fireplaces with a drink after a long day hiking. Definitely looking forward to our next visit.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think the biggest reason people talk shit about the Ahwahnee is that they are approaching it as if it's a luxury hotel. It's not. Since day one presumably the rooms have been plain and the food hasn't been gourmet. The reason you eat at, stay at, or simply visit the Ahwahnee is for the experience, not luxury. And the experience is a historically significant architectural wonder in the middle of one of the most beautiful place God put on earth.

@Danny-Darko, As someone who's always updating his travel bucket list, I'm wondering about your reasons for Israel and Brazil being overrated as Gay Tourist Destinations. I'm also wonder why you think Italy, Greece and Argentina are underrated in this category. I'm not disagreeing with your assessment... just trying to be a smart traveler. :) Thanks!

Israel has been discussed before in one of these forums. You can take a look and see for yourself what's been said. Brazil well I should have been more specific and say Sao Paulo. I'm a big city person but Sao Paulo was a HUGE disappointment in every sense.

And while Italy, Greece and Argentina are known to be travel destinations, most gay people wouldn't think of them as a gay travel destination. Since the perception of other countries have outranked these three of my favorite destinations, other places like Amsterdam, Tel Aviv and Sao Paulo are far overrated. My opinions also have to do with a variety of things: What's to do and see there, local cuisine, how welcoming they are to Americans and other foreigners and how open and friendly the gay community is to other LGBT foreigners, if it's a place I'd like to return to and see more...

I hope this has helped explain my choices.

Edited by Danny-Darko

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think the biggest reason people talk shit about the Ahwahnee is that they are approaching it as if it's a luxury hotel. It's not. ...

Boy, are you right on it not being a luxury hotel. But the prices exceed that of most luxury hotels. I looked up the price for 5/15/21, just for fun, and the LEAST expensive room comes out at $518, and the prices go to 4 figures. They also advertise as "setting the standard for luxury," so it's no wonder people get upset about the quality when it comes to price.

I'm sorry, but it's obvious you're quite unfamiliar with the area, not just because most of the photos you posted were not from the place you thought they were. Although one does have to pass Tunnel View to get to the Glacier Point Road from the Valley, it is most definitely in the valley and most definitely not on the Glacier Point Road. If you come from Fish Camp and drive directly to Glacier Point Road as you advised, you will not get to Tunnel View. The distance from the Yosemite Valley Lodge to Tunnel View is 7.5 miles, and that's only because you have to back-track some to get there. The distance from the Yosemite Valley Lodge to Glacier Point is 30 miles, so the drive to Tunnel View is not anywhere near half-way from the lodge, let alone half-way up the Glacier Point Road.

XjjL97oyPOHpnco8j5d-DkBl3_AaN_i4hiZBlaFYF2f5ZhuTU4Bgnq40gOl_6wz-UgQdqmZqTX1XvDJld0GewoFsEONA

ht8VRij9N7D-3-D2_XfskgQW33HB3xw7Zg-onRGIUJaYq8-TgWuNzoesPANXUkwcqEGSyMwqoYtTomGDEvZHiyTCv-ImC7tIj-P2UmOXSRsZK4-9rB8VQ9Ija2nQ-A

I'm sorry but it's obvious you're always as personally nasty as possible. Congratulations.

I've been to Tunnel View, Glacier Point and Yosemite Valley a couple dozen times. Sorry if I'm going by recollection and not reading an article.

Tunnel View is not on Glacier Point Road but is a couple miles on the way to it from the Valley. Tunnel View has an elevation of 4,800 ft and Glacier Point has one of 5-6 thousand. Tunnel View is not in any valley at almost 5000 ft. as is obvious in any photo. Like this one I took 2 years ago:

23244173_10213583935248839_9027033812163846230_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=da31f3&_nc_ohc=x-zTRI0x6zgAX9tQUlX&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&tp=6&oh=56754cbf1047b045d3319f96b04616d9&oe=6093BAB0

Edited by tassojunior

Boy, are you right on it not being a luxury hotel. But the prices exceed that of most luxury hotels. I looked up the price for 5/15/21, just for fun, and the LEAST expensive room comes out at $518, and the prices go to 4 figures. They also advertise as "setting the standard for luxury," so it's no wonder people get upset about the quality when it comes to price.

Yes, they misrepresent themselves, and two minutes of research on the internet/tripadvisor would preemptively correct people's expectations of luxury. Again, if you stay there you are paying for those things I listed, you are not paying for luxury. It's a remarkable structure in a remarkable place.

On the scales of places to experience in one's life $700/night at some completely inauthentic, frette-sheet-outfitted, kowtowing, Ritz Carlton will leave one much poorer for experience than $550 for a night at the Ahwahnee with their bad seasonal-staff service and cruise-ship inspired food as well as wow architecture, unparalleled surroundings, and historic prominence.

Now do I stay there EVERY time or even most times I visit Yosemite. No. I'm not rich. But it is worth it at least once FOR THE EXPERIENCE :)

And at least once nearly every time we go climbing/camping in Yosemite, we will either do a whore's wash at Camp 4 and dress up for dinner at the Ahwahnee (actually they have showers) or at least have breakfast there, which is also wonderful and less fancy.

Edited by Rod Hagen

I'm sorry but it's obvious you're always as personally nasty as possible. Congratulations.

I've been to Tunnel View, Glacier Point and Yosemite Valley a couple dozen times. Sorry if I'm going by recollection and not reading an article.

Tunnel View is not on Glacier Point Road but is a couple miles on the way to it from the Valley. Tunnel View has an elevation of 4,800 ft and Glacier Point has one of 5-6 thousand. Tunnel View is not in any valley at almost 5000 ft. as is obvious in any photo. Like this one I took 2 years ago:

You keep making factually incorrect statements and expecting not to be called on it. Whether sights such as Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite Falls, Half Dome, etc., are "over-rated" or not is, of course a matter of opinion. However, you have made multiple statements of fact which are simply factually wrong. Just looking up "Tunnel View" on Wikipedia will tell you that Tunnel View is, in fact in the valley (as your photo also shows):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_View

"The large viewpoint area is located directly east of the Wawona Tunnel portal, as one enters Yosemite Valley from points south."

A little quick research will also show you that you're off on the elevation of Tunnel View, which is at 4360 feet:

https://elevation.maplogs.com/poi/yosemite_tunnel_view_wawona_rd_california_usa.390178.html

And you're way, way off on the elevation of Glacier Point, which is at 7214 feet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Point

Google and Wikipedia are your friends. They can help you keep your facts straight.

My memories of Yosemite go back to the summer of 1950. That summer my family spend a week camping at Camp Curry. We certainly could not afford the Ahwahnee Hotel. We continued the practice for the next nine years. We carried our own four-person tent, Coleman Stove, Coleman Lanterns and two or three ice chests. That first year we met several other families camping near our camp site. My parents were quite social, particularly my mother, so by the end of our vacation she had become well acquainted with several of our neighboring camper families. For the next several years three or four families planned their vacations for the same time. During the day we kids played at the camp site, went on nature walks with rangers or went swimming in a pool at the camp. The men frequently went fishing in the Kern River or sat around the camp site shooting the shit and drinking beer, the women usually sat around as well and gabbed and prepared group meals. My most vivid memory of those visits was the 9 pm Fire Falls. Burning embers were spilled off Glacier Point to the valley floor 3000 feet below. It created an incredible site – a ribbon of fire. It was accompanied by a loudspeaker recording of the Indian Love Call sung my Nelson Eddy and Janette McDonald. The Park Service ended the Fire Falls around 1968 claiming that it was an unnatural occurrence in a natural site and was thus inappropriate.

My most vivid memory of those visits was the 9 pm Fire Falls. Burning embers were spilled off Glacier Point to the valley floor 3000 feet below. It created an incredible site – a ribbon of fire. It was accompanied by a loudspeaker recording of the Indian Love Call sung my Nelson Eddy and Janette McDonald. The Park Service ended the Fire Falls around 1968 claiming that it was an unnatural occurrence in a natural site and was thus inappropriate.

look quick at 0:24 for @Epigonos watching the Firefall!

Edited by azdr0710

You keep making factually incorrect statements and expecting not to be called on it. Whether sights such as Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite Falls, Half Dome, etc., are "over-rated" or not is, of course a matter of opinion. However, you have made multiple statements of fact which are simply factually wrong. Just looking up "Tunnel View" on Wikipedia will tell you that Tunnel View is, in fact in the valley (as your photo also shows):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_View

"The large viewpoint area is located directly east of the Wawona Tunnel portal, as one enters Yosemite Valley from points south."

A little quick research will also show you that you're off on the elevation of Tunnel View, which is at 4360 feet:

https://elevation.maplogs.com/poi/yosemite_tunnel_view_wawona_rd_california_usa.390178.html

And you're way, way off on the elevation of Glacier Point, which is at 7214 feet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Point

Google and Wikipedia are your friends. They can help you keep your facts straight.

Thanks for letting me know it's an optical illusion that makes Tunnel View seem to be hundreds of feet above the treetops while it's really down under the trees in the valley.

Thanks for letting me know it's an optical illusion that makes Tunnel View seem to be hundreds of feet above the treetops while it's really down under the trees in the valley.

54343108.jpg

Israel has been discussed before in one of these forums. You can take a look and see for yourself what's been said. Brazil well I should have been more specific and say Sao Paulo. I'm a big city person but Sao Paulo was a HUGE disappointment in every sense.

And while Italy, Greece and Argentina are known to be travel destinations, most gay people wouldn't think of them as a gay travel destination. Since the perception of other countries have outranked these three of my favorite destinations, other places like Amsterdam, Tel Aviv and Sao Paulo are far overrated. My opinions also have to do with a variety of things: What's to do and see there, local cuisine, how welcoming they are to Americans and other foreigners and how open and friendly the gay community is to other LGBT foreigners, if it's a place I'd like to return to and see more...

I hope this has helped explain my choices.

Thanks! I understand your assessment of Brazil. My couple of trips to Rio de Janeiro were great and I plan to return. Salvador is also on my Brazil bucket-list (but not Sao Paulo). Although I've vacationed in Italy (Florence, Tuscany, Rome, Bologna) it was primarily traditional tourist stuff. Maybe next time I'll investigate venues more gay (whatever that turns out to be). Greece and Buenos Aires have been on my list for quite a while. Maybe time to push them up on the list...

Yes, and if you can, travel through the San Juan Islands to Victoria from Anacortes, WA. The San Juan Islands are amazing.

Also, if you have time, visit Sooke Harbor just outside Victoria as well as the gardens of course. And if you have even more time Tofino, a few hours north west of Victoria, is gorgeous and very fun during storm season.

If it's your cup of tea, have tea at the Empress in Victoria. One of the better Afternoon Teas I've experienced. (I know, so gay).

Anacortes is a frequent destination when I’m at my summer place up in the area. Pelican Bay Books is the best used book store I’ve ever experienced. I collect vintage Hardy Boys books and have found about 6 there, among many other books.

A visit to Guemes Island via a short private ferry ride is also a treat.

After Philadelphia, where I stayed for 3 days, I went to Cape Cod, my first time to P-Town. I had a blast every night. The weather was gorgeous and the men were just as hot.

PTown is magical. A must for every gay man. If you are averse to huge crowds go off season.

The secret to visiting places like Venice, Florence, and Sienna is to get a hotel and stay a few days. Tourist day buses start rolling in around 9:30 or 10:00 and start departing around 2:30 or 3:00. Thus, in the relatively early morning and in the late afternoon and evening one has these cities to oneself and they are magic. I spent three weeks in both Venice and Florence and ten days in Sienna -- pure magic. When I was in Florence, I visited the Uffizi so many times that I got to know several of the room guards. They were so pleased that I returned for several visits that they went out of their way to show me numerous special and hidden treasures. Damn those were great days.

I really cannot put into words how much I hate and resent this fucking pandemic. Even at 80 I have a multitude of places and sites I need to visit. If I were 35 or 40, I could easily out wait the fucking thing but at 80 that is not necessarily the case.

Even better than hotels, for the past several years we have been renting apartments when we travel. Love the extra space and comfort and having a kitchen, also love being in a neighborhood and living like a local. But, lacks the services of a hotel if that's important to you.

It created an incredible site – a ribbon of fire. It was accompanied by a loudspeaker recording of the Indian Love Call

I've heard so many stories of the Falling Fire. I'm glad they quit doing it and I would have LOVED to have seen it live :) Epigonos, I am very glad you were able to see it and have all those wonderful childTime memories.

Edited by Rod Hagen

I really cannot put into words how much I hate and resent this fucking pandemic. Even at 80 I have a multitude of places and sites I need to visit. If I were 35 or 40, I could easily out wait the fucking thing but at 80 that is not necessarily the case.

Where will be your first and second post-Pandemic destinations? :)

I love cruising but have a rather unusual attitude toward doing so. I NEVER take a cruise that includes ports I want to see in depth: ie. arriving in the port of Rome, getting on a but at 8 a.m. and being driven to Rome, then make "photo stops" around the city and returning to the ship around 4 or 5 pm is a TOTAL waste of my time. For me cruising vacations are "crash vacations". They are great when visiting the islands of the Caribbean or the South Pacific. These ports are worth a day but not much more. On these cruises I relax and enjoy shipboard life.

The one exception to the above was when I took a Baltic Cruise with a friend. We were in St. Petersburg for two full days. I arranged to hire a local private guide and driver just for the two of us. I made out our itinerary prior to our arrival and the guide arranged everything. They were two long, frantic days but damn we saw and did a lot.

Why not spend ten days in St. Petersburg, rather than just two and really get to know the city. Stockholm is worth 10 days as well.

With 10 days in Stockholm you get to know the neighborhoods and some of the residents