Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

The Alamo is one of the most over-rated tourist attractions. The building that most people think of when they "Remember the Alamo!" is not the real site of the battle, which was a nearby barracks. That iconic facade that always appears in every movie or advertisement is actually a nearby church that the organizers who turned the Alamo into a memorial to the battle chose, because they didn't think the barracks--which had been turned into a grocery store in the years following the battle--was photogenic enough to attract visitors. The battle itself wasn't even particularly important, until Texas myth-makers got hold of it in the later 19th century, and the entertainment media latched on to it in the 20th century. Legends need heroes, so the most prominent men who were killed were turned into the leading characters in the battle of those who "fought to the death" for "independence." However, William Travis was actually a self-serving lawyer who was killed at the very start of the battle, Jim Bowie was an illegal slave-trader who was ill with malaria and was killed in his sick-bed, and Davy Crockett actually surrendered to save his life, only to be executed anyway. Sorry to disappoint those of you who still have your Davy Crockett coon-skin caps.

Heathen!

You’re not from Texas….are ya?

grin

On 6/28/2021 at 7:53 PM, EastCoastBtm said:

Underrated - One of the largest collections of Impressionist Art in the world....and no one knows its in.....PHILADELPHIA.  For certain artists, they have more paintings than the Louvre. The collection is worth $25 BILLION.

The Barnes Collection

https://www.barnesfoundation.org/

I visited Philly recently and wasn't too crazy about it. I found it very dirty as a  city. I could have thought it is because of the covid but people say it has always been like this. The trip was still refreshing because I don't travel that often. 

1 hour ago, nycboi said:

I visited Philly recently and wasn't too crazy about it. I found it very dirty as a  city. I could have thought it is because of the covid but people say it has always been like this. The trip was still refreshing because I don't travel that often. 

I do like my men as dirty minded as can be! 😉😋1988044486_Screenshot_20211130-163600_SamsungInternet.jpg.3c9c88f28f7e2d167c9e9bccf7aacf15.jpg

14 hours ago, WilliamM said:

La Scala Opera in Milan

+World class singers always

-Some partial view seats or actually no view seats

Other old opera houses in Europe also have partial view or no view seats. My mother was almost blind when I took her to La Fenice in Venice years ago, so she was perfectly happy to just listen to the performance in a no view seat.

8 hours ago, Charlie said:

Other old opera houses in Europe also have partial view or no view seats. My mother was almost blind when I took her to La Fenice in Venice years ago, so she was perfectly happy to just listen to the performance in a no view seat.

I don't even remember the Opera I listened to, perhaps an Italian Opera. I do know it was not a Russian Opera.othereise I rather liked Milan.

Santiago, Chile. I went five days for my 50's birthday and couldn't have been more bored. Every last Chilean that wanted to meet up with me online flaked out on me. People aren't particularly nice or helpful compared to most Latin Americans. Mind you, I'm fluent in Spanish too so it wasn't because of a language barrier either! Food was a poor imitation of Argentinean food and nothing exciting. Wines were all good, but we can buy them here too so big deal. I couldn't wait to get back to Buenos Aries and when I did it felt so good to be back in Argentina. I should have gone somewhere else instead. Don't waste your money there and see another country instead.  

santo-lucia-hill-santiago-chile.jpg

37 minutes ago, Danny-Darko said:

In my opinion ALL of Uruguay is overrated! The only reason to go is if you really must get in a day trip while visiting Argentina or Southern Brazil. 

if that's the case why so many Argentines and Brazilians go there? 

Capilla Susana Soca - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

spacer.png

La Mano de Punta del Este - Wikipedia

spacer.png

spacer.png

Colonia del Sacramento - Wikipedia

spacer.png

Edited by marylander1940

48 minutes ago, Danny-Darko said:

Santiago, Chile. I went five days for my 50's birthday and couldn't have been more bored. Every last Chilean that wanted to meet up with me online flaked out on me. People aren't particularly nice or helpful compared to most Latin Americans. Mind you, I'm fluent in Spanish too so it wasn't because of a language barrier either! Food was a poor imitation of Argentinean food and nothing exciting. Wines were all good, but we can buy them here too so big deal. I couldn't wait to get back to Buenos Aries and when I did it felt so good to be back in Argentina. I should have gone somewhere else instead. Don't waste your money there and see another country instead.  

santo-lucia-hill-santiago-chile.jpg

Wow. I find it to be a beautiful city. You can take a gondola for a beautiful ride up the hills and see beautiful views of the Andes:

Cerro San Cristóbal, Santiago de Chile - Tickets & Eintrittskarten

Or you could take the funicular:

Funicular, Santiago, Chile | A Funicular is a cable-driven i… | Flickr

The city has among the best subway, transportation, and infrastructure in South America.

23 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

They go because it's close by for a getaway, some relatively nice beaches and shopping. I know some that go for banking purposes since Uruguay is the "Switzerland" of South America and people with some money "keep it" there. To go elsewhere would be very far and far more expensive and time consuming. Have a look at the geography of where each country lays. Kind of like why southern border USA Americans go to Tijuana and the Baja and northern border Americans go to Canada instead of elsewhere. Hey, Uruguay isn't bad, it's just overrated in my opinion. To be honest I'd rather return for a day or two to Uruguay than to Chile any day!   

4 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Wow. I find it to be a beautiful city. You can take a gondola for a beautiful ride up the hills and see beautiful views of the Andes:

Cerro San Cristóbal, Santiago de Chile - Tickets & Eintrittskarten

Or you could take the funicular:

Funicular, Santiago, Chile | A Funicular is a cable-driven i… | Flickr

The city has among the best subway, transportation, and infrastructure in South America.

Good, you go, and I wish you the best of times!

52 minutes ago, Danny-Darko said:

They go because it's close by for a getaway, some relatively nice beaches and shopping. I know some that go for banking purposes since Uruguay is the "Switzerland" of South America and people with some money "keep it" there. To go elsewhere would be very far and far more expensive and time consuming. Have a look at the geography of where each country lays. Kind of like why southern border USA Americans go to Tijuana and the Baja and northern border Americans go to Canada instead of elsewhere. Hey, Uruguay isn't bad, it's just overrated in my opinion. To be honest I'd rather return for a day or two to Uruguay than to Chile any day!   

It WAS called the Switzerland of America (because America is a continent and not a country) because of its prosperity before the commonwealth and the EU stop buying from it not because of banking... now the state of Colorado is also called that way but exclusively for banking. 

One more thing Argentina and Brazil are way cheaper than Uruguay, only those with money can go there. 

Uruguay - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

In the 90's many wealthy Argentines moved their money there but in 2001 they took it out causing the 2002 Uruguay banking crisis - Wikipedia and since then unless they legally move there all their deposits are reported to Argentina. All other South Americans go to Panama or a former British colony in the Caribbean. 

11 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

It WAS called the Switzerland of America (because America is a continent and not a country) because of its prosperity before the commonwealth and the EU stop buying from it not because of banking... now the state of Colorado is also called that way but exclusively for banking. 

One more thing Argentina and Brazil are way cheaper than Uruguay, only those with money can go there. 

Uruguay - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

In the 90's many wealthy Argentines moved their money there but in 2001 they took it out causing the 2002 Uruguay banking crisis - Wikipedia and since then unless they legally move there all their deposits are reported to Argentina. All other South Americans go to Panama or a former British colony in the Caribbean. 

Marylander1940, while you quote Wikipedia, I cite life experience and personal knowledge from Argentinians and Brazilians while living in the country. You continue with your online research while I continue traveling the world and sharing my experiences of what I consider overrated and underrated tourist destinations. We're all entitled to our opinions and our own experiences are subjective. 

1 hour ago, Danny-Darko said:

Marylander1940, while you quote Wikipedia, I cite life experience and personal knowledge from Argentinians and Brazilians while living in the country. You continue with your online research while I continue traveling the world and sharing my experiences of what I consider overrated and underrated tourist destinations. We're all entitled to our opinions and our own experiences are subjective. 

Just try quoting Wikipedia in a college term paper. High School as well. A way to flunk a course

2 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

I'm also well-travelled, quoting is only a way to post a reference and add strength to a point. Whoever told you the meaning of the Switzerland of America was factually wrong. 

Edited by marylander1940