Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

15 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Because it was the diplomatic language for the Australians as well as the French.

Very few Australians in the 17th and 18th centuries spoke French, or engaged in diplomacy. I suspect that the British, here from 1788 did, and the La Pérouse expedition arrived here the day after the First Fleet and spent six weeks in the new colony. Nicolas Baudin and his expedition in the Géographe and the Naturaliste that was sent to map the coast of New Holland did encounter British mariners (in Encounter Bay, in South Australia) and visit Port Jackson (Sydney harbour), but that was not until the first years of the 19th century.

On 12/3/2021 at 7:54 PM, marylander1940 said:

Arabia Steamboat Museum - Wikipedia

To find a steam boat buried in a corn field... a friend took me to this this underrated and unknown museum and I loved it. 

12 hours ago, bigjoey said:

Itake all my out-if-town visitors there and they love it.  Great museum.

You take friends….to a museum….about a steamboat….that was buried…in a cornfield….in Kansas?

Dear lord, how is it possible that Kansas hasn’t passed a law requiring gun safes?

By all that’s holy, you people should be dead. 

26 minutes ago, nycman said:

You take friends….to a museum….about a steamboat….that was buried…in a cornfield….in Kansas?

Dear lord, how is it possible that Kansas hasn’t passed a law requiring gun safes?

By all that’s holy, you people should be dead. 

Actually, the museum is in Missouri.  The riverboat was on the Missouri River when it sunk.  The river had shifted over the years, leaving the boat in Kansas.

Unless you see the museum, don’t knock it.  I have taken visitors  there who live all over the world, and they have all found it a great museum.  In addition, it is clearly the world’s best sunken riverboat museum🏆🥇😀😀

On 12/3/2021 at 2:12 AM, marylander1940 said:

It WAS called the Switzerland of America (because America is a continent and not a country) because of its prosperity before the commonwealth and the EU stop buying from it not because of banking... now the state of Colorado is also called that way but exclusively for banking. 

One more thing Argentina and Brazil are way cheaper than Uruguay, only those with money can go there. 

Uruguay - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

In the 90's many wealthy Argentines moved their money there but in 2001 they took it out causing the 2002 Uruguay banking crisis - Wikipedia and since then unless they legally move there all their deposits are reported to Argentina. All other South Americans go to Panama or a former British colony in the Caribbean. 

America is not the name of the continent and is the name of a country. North America is the name of the continent and includes Canada, America (United States), and Mexico.

12 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

America is not the name of the continent and is the name of a country. North America is the name of the continent and includes Canada, America (United States), and Mexico.

We know! America here is used referring to the continents as "The Americas". If you were that literate, you'd have understood the content and its correctness. But of course you just want to refute and like some others without realizing you expose your ignorance.  

2 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

We know! America here is used referring to the continents as "The Americas". If you were that literate, you'd have understood the content and its correctness. But of course you just want to refute and like some others without realizing you expose your ignorance.  

The poster said Switzerland of America, which made no sense. The ignorance lies elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

As a matter of fact, I taught both literature and history, topics that draw lots of Wikipedia traffic.

One or two students in literature courses at the University of Pennsylvania perhaps use Wikepida.  But it would usually be obvious because of the long take home questions in German lit in English translation courses.

1 hour ago, bigjoey said:

The REAL Museum of Ice Cream is in NY:

Or it was…..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexandrawilson1/2020/07/02/i-scream-you-scream-the-meltdown-at-the-museum-of-ice-cream

It’s funny when stupid millennial shit fails.

Edited by nycman

Over rated: Four seasons NYC…

went there several times.

Experience 0.5: I was younger and very naïve about dining at the four seasons restaurant NYC… OK, business casual and they basically want a collared shirt, tie and a suit coat. I actually came dressed in a collared shirt, tie and a sport jacket. They didn’t like the jacket. It was off white~ At first I honestly thought they were kidding… …Because who makes that big of a deal out of the color of your sports jacket~?

They got all flustered and upset about it, (three people to deal with this like I’d come in there with a giraffe… nothing against giraffes)~ They said they would find something suitable in the back room. They brought three different jackets. They all fit but, they kept switching the jackets because they didn’t exactly match my shirt and tie. Then they went to get me another tie to make it an ensemble. I just wanted to go in there to enjoy a meal. It was like a comedy show. They just put way too much attention on their snobbery and self image at the cost of providing a relaxing and comfortable meal~ When their image comes before the comfort and enjoyment of the Customer/diner, it’s a bad sign~ Their attempt to avoid being the shame of an off white sport coat became a spectacle in itself~    

Experience #1: Prom night: (not mine). Several couples we’re having dessert comprised of cotton candy with raisins on it… literally red and green cotton candy with raisins on it and was priced around $50. 😳 Cute little gimmick but, not cute enough to mask the fact that it’s carnival food they are selling for $50. Even if they made 200 of those dishes, it’s literally a few bags of sugar and a couple boxes of raisins. I couldn’t believe people were paying the money for cotton candy with raisins on it. Something so inexpensive and easy to make could’ve been given away for free and it would’ve made them look like a they cared~ Did I mention that it was cotton candy with raisins on it? It’s $2.00 at a carnival. Cotton candy with… oh never mind~ 

Experience #2: I ordered my meal and was chatting with my Client when the courses began to arrive. The waiter was literally standing over my shoulder within arms reach. I’m chatting with my client and having a relaxing evening with him but, apparently was not finishing my courses quick enough. In fact, not even starting them quick enough for this waiter. For two courses I literally got one bite off of the plate before the waiter took the food away.

The second course I was dipping in for a taste and he pulled the plate away~ 😳

The third time he tried to do it I actually took my fork and acted like I was going to stab his hand and he looked mortified,  pulled his hands away quickly and stood down~ Really, aren’t we there to eat and enjoy the meal~?
 I was surprised he didn’t slap my hand with a ruler. Apparently, you’re only supposed to look at what they bring you. If that is the case it would’ve been suffice for me to simply read the menu and call it a night. Make a bed time story out of it~ Something to fall asleep to~ (Drinkin’, Winkin’ and Nod)
  I’ve been in exceptionally nice restaurants before… I understand timing. It wasn’t like I was ruining the timing for the chef and his courses. 
 When we got to dessert, I saw something called summer pudding on the menu and I had never experienced it before. It sounded fascinating to me and I was really excited about it~ So, I ordered the summer pudding. The waiter said: “you’ll have the raspberry flambois~“ I said: “I’m sorry. I actually asked for the Summer pudding”.

He said: “Sir, you’ll have the raspberry flambois.”.

I said: “I’ve never had the summer pudding~ it sounds fantastic~! I’d like to try that please”. 
 He got visibly upset and insisted on the raspberry slam blah and further explained that if I really wanted, I could have the summer pudding but, the chef would be very upset because, it didn’t match the rest of my meal. (A meal, keep in mind, I barely got to taste making what dessert I order a moot point). The entire time I’m wondering why this waiter is being confrontational about a dessert. The question crossed my mind… “Who is eating the meal… the chef or myself~?” The waiter went as far as to bring the chef to the table.  
 It was completely embarrassing and quite frankly inappropriate. I get that the chef is creating art but, why offer anybody a choice on the menu at all if the chef is going to pick out everything you eat. Save the banter and simply make a prefix only menu in that case~ Don’t embarrass the Customer~ 

I think it was just the way all of these things were handled that really was offensive to me as a diner there.

I’ve been to five star Michelin restaurants before where three or four prefix menus are offered~ Even then, if you had a food allergy or simply didn’t favor some thing, an option was offered and the chef and staff were happy to oblige, often with some extra side dish~ Often times the owner or head Chef comes to the table to have a nice little chat just to say hello and offer friendship.
 They make you feel welcome and wanted… That vibe was not happening at four seasons New York City.

Edited by Tygerscent

15 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

Bandelier National Monument - Wikipedia

Not as impressive as Mesa Verde but mystic! I even picked up 2 black pottery pieces from the sand... 🤫

spacer.png

You absconded with indigenous archeological relics~?😳🤔🤷‍♂️ Please tell me where your parents are buried so I can go bone collecting sometime~ Maybe I’ll make a necklace or wind chimes~ 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Edited by Tygerscent

Lucca, Italy in the off season: (Underrated)… tiny town with big britches~ History, art, concerts, largest Comicon event in the world… oak and pine trees growing on top of towering old world home castles~ Plus… outstanding light~!!!! Love~!!!image.thumb.jpeg.81d967739b4e0144160eb59d445be19b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.07a0579cae03260d2eb23137da0da2e7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b24fbab4174e13662f1e8149408c4bbc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d3c53dce5ff50a162d30cc9145895d86.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.55a775a8769f4a239637ee055016f666.jpeg

Edited by Tygerscent

3 hours ago, Tygerscent said:

Over rated: Four seasons NYC…

went there several times.

Experience 0.5: I was younger and very naïve about dining at the four seasons restaurant NYC… OK, business casual and they basically want a collared shirt, tie and a suit coat. I actually came dressed in a collared shirt, tie and a sport jacket. They didn’t like the jacket. It was off white~ At first I honestly thought they were kidding… …Because who makes that big of a deal out of the color of your sports jacket~?

They got all flustered and upset about it, (three people to deal with this like I’d come in there with a giraffe… nothing against giraffes)~ They said they would find something suitable in the back room. They brought three different jackets. They all fit but, they kept switching the jackets because they didn’t exactly match my shirt and tie. Then they went to get me another tie to make it an ensemble. I just wanted to go in there to enjoy a meal. It was like a comedy show. They just put way too much attention on their snobbery and self image at the cost of providing a relaxing and comfortable meal~ When their image comes before the comfort and enjoyment of the Customer/diner, it’s a bad sign~ There attempt to avoid being the shame of an off white sport coat became a spectacle in itself~    

Experience #1: Prom night: (not mine). Several couples we’re having dessert comprised of cotton candy with raisins on it… literally red and green cotton candy with raisins on it and was priced around $50. 😳 Cute little gimmick but, not cute enough to mask the fact that it’s carnival food they are selling for $50. Even if they made 200 of those dishes, it’s literally a few bags of sugar and a couple boxes of raisins. I couldn’t believe people were paying the money for cotton candy with raisins on it. Somethings so inexpensive and easy to make could’ve been given away for free and it would’ve made them look like a they cared~ Did I mention that it was cotton candy with raisins on it? It’s $2.00 at a carnival. Cotton candy with… oh never mind~ 

Experience #2: I ordered my meal and was chatting with my Client when the courses began to arrive. The waiter was literally standing over my shoulder within arms reach. I’m chatting with my client and having a relaxing evening with him but, apparently was not finishing my courses quick enough. In fact, not even starting them quick enough for this waiter. For two courses I literally got one bite off of the plate before the waiter took the food away.

The second course I was dipping in for a taste and he pulled the plate away~ 😳

The third time he tried to do it I actually took my fork and acted like I was going to stab his hand and he looked mortified,  pulled his hands away quickly and stood down~ Really, aren’t we there to eat and enjoy the meal~?
 I was surprised he didn’t slap my hand with a ruler. Apparently, you’re only supposed to look at what they bring you. If that is the case it would’ve been suffice for me to simply read the menu and call it a night. Make a bed time story out of it~ Something to fall asleep to~ (Drinkin’, Winkin’ and Nod)
  I’ve been in exceptionally nice restaurants before… I understand timing. It wasn’t like I was ruining the timing for the chef and his courses. 
 When we got to dessert, I saw something called summer pudding on the menu and I had never experienced it before. It sounded fascinating to me and I was really excited about it~ So, I ordered the summer pudding. The waiter said: “you’ll have the raspberry flambois~“ I said: “I’m sorry. I actually asked for the Summer pudding”.

He said: “Sir, you’ll have the raspberry flambois.”.

I said: “I’ve never had the summer pudding~ it sounds fantastic~! I’d like to try that please”. 
 He got visibly upset and insisted on the raspberry slam blah and further explained that if I really wanted, I could have the summer pudding but, the chef would be very upset because, it didn’t match the rest of my meal. (A meal, keep in mind, I barely got to taste making what dessert I order a moot point). The entire time I’m wondering why this waiter is being confrontational about a dessert. The question crossed my mind… “Who is eating the meal… the chef or myself~?” The waiter went as far as to bring the chef to the table. It was completely embarrassing and quite frankly inappropriate. I get that the chef is creating his art but, why offer anybody a choice on the menu at all if the chef is going to pick out everything you eat. Save the banter and simply make a prefix only menu in that case~ Don’t embarrass the Customer~ 

I think it was just the way all of these things  were handled that really was offensive to me as a diner there.

I’ve been to five star Michelin restaurants before where three or four prefix menus are offered~ Even then, if you had a food allergy or simply didn’t favor some thing, an option was offered and the chef and staff were happy to oblige, often with some extra side dish~ Often times the owner or head Chef comes to the table to have a nice little chat just to say hello and offer friendship.
 They make you feel welcome and wanted… That vibe was not happening at four seasons New York City.

I still have a collection of three of the Four Season ashtrays.  Back in the “old days”, each place setting had an ash tray.  They had one for each season and changed them out accordingly.  

It was one of the most beautiful mid century modern rooms anywhere with those bead curtains that gently swayed.

While never cheap, the food was always good.  The service was excellent.  BUT I am going back 40-50 years ago when the restaurant built its reputation.

1 hour ago, bigjoey said:

I still have a collection of three of the Four Season ashtrays.  Back in the “old days”, each place setting had an ash tray.  They had one for each season and changed them out accordingly.  

It was one of the most beautiful mid century modern rooms anywhere with those bead curtains that gently swayed.

While never cheap, the food was always good.  The service was excellent.  BUT I am going back 40-50 years ago when the restaurant built its reputation.

There was a fun but troubled little place called Cafe’ des Artistes, One West @ 67th… closed around 2009~ Do you recall it~? I was charmed by the murals and enjoyed the food there~ It was a 3D experience… Unfortunate regarding the title 19 ending~ 😬 

It is now the Leapard Des Artistes: apparently equally naughty… I guess it is true… A leopard can not change its spots~  

image.thumb.jpeg.8db00c6436620d4149143db9e985379f.jpegimage.jpeg.94d68c9d1f4d499a168714ad3176bd93.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f01fe31846a1eabd6471c29b1ce3c58.jpeg

Edited by Tygerscent

39 minutes ago, Tygerscent said:

There was a fun but troubled little place called Cafe’ des Artistes, One West @ 67th… closed around 2009~ Do you reserve it~? I was charmed by the murals and enjoyed the food there~ It was a 3D experience… Unfortunate regarding the title 19 ending~ 😬 

It is now the Leapard Des Artistes: apparently equally naughty… I guess it is true… I leopard can not change its spots~  

image.thumb.jpeg.8db00c6436620d4149143db9e985379f.jpegimage.jpeg.94d68c9d1f4d499a168714ad3176bd93.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f01fe31846a1eabd6471c29b1ce3c58.jpeg

Great place in its day.  Fond memories👍.  Thanks for the reminder🙏